Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

44 minutes ago, hanford29 said:

Disclaimer: Biased opinion here. Going to share some facts though.

The Browns are down to their 4th and 5th Offensive Tackles starting each week. Lost their Pro Bowl/All-pro RB. Have a QB that was sitting on the couch, oh and by the way he's the 4th QB (Stefanski did NOT cut Dobbs, the GM Berry traded him). #1 CB has missed multiple games. Two Key DL out for the year. Both Safties have missed time and one is out for the year. DPOY candidate is playing with one arm

All teams suffer injuries. But I dare anyone to put together a worse list of injuries than this team has faced. 

Like I said, this is a biased opinion, but I don't think people understand the depth of injuries Stefanski has faced. Browns are 10-5 and currently the #5 seed. Seems like Coach of the Year material.

I mean, Lions have had only 5 starters play all season and two of them are rookies. One just happens to be their QB. Like you said, injuries happen to every team. 

Lions players who have missed time this season:

LT Taylor Decker

LG Jonah Jackson

C Frank Ragnow 

RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai- Season ending

OT Matt Nelson

RB David Montgomery

RB Jahmyr Gibbs

RB Zonovan Knight- season ending

RB- Mo Ibrahim- season ending

TE Brock Wright

TE- Shane Zylstra- season ending

WR Jameson Williams

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown 

WR Marvin Jones Jr- Left the team after 6 games

EDDE James Houston- missed last 13 games

DE Romeo Okwara 

DL Josh Paschal

DT Alim McNeill 

LB Alex Anzalone

LB Derrick Barnes 

DB CJ Gardner- Johnson- missed last 13 games

CB Emmanuel Moseley- season ending

NB Brian Branch

S Kerby Joseph

Detroit Lions injuries don’t get talked about though. 

On 12/25/2023 at 1:38 PM, squire12 said:

You brought up a good point about CLE winning with 4 QBs this year.  Nearly every year that is significant,  but this year there are several teams doing similar ( indy, cincy, Minnesota, Pittsburgh).  That takes some shine off that for sure

Indy and Cincy has had two QBs, not four. That's a pretty big difference. Minnesota is about the only comparable team when it comes to the injuries they've dealt with, but they're also playing in an easier division.

From that perspective and blending the "best" performance with expectations - I think it should be Harbaugh. I don't think many people had Baltimore being this good - they've obliterated the Browns, Lions, Seahawks and 49ers - four playoff teams. They also handily beat the Texans and Jags, likely another playoff team, and beat the Rams - another possible playoff team. Not to mention the Bengals twice.

And they've rarely even TRAILED this season.

They clearly have a top 2 or 3 roster - but even with that, this is beyond the pale here. Not sure that I've ever seen a dominant performance against that many good teams.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

what does this award mean? Shouldn't this one be like MVP? For some reason its treated more closely to rookie of the year

I think its nice to win it, but I also feel like it has some questionable prestige just based on how bad some of the coaches who won turned out to be. Recent winners include Matt Nagy and Jason Garrett, after all. No shade to Stefanski, but if he wins this year, he'll have more coach of the year wins than Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Kyle Shanahan and Mike Tomlin combined lol. Ron Rivera is also a 2 time winner, and while "riverboat ron" was a fun little thing for a bit, I don't know that anyone has ever confused him with being an objectively tremendous coach. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think its nice to win it, but I also feel like it has some questionable prestige just based on how bad some of the coaches who won turned out to be. Recent winners include Matt Nagy and Jason Garrett, after all. No shade to Stefanski, but if he wins this year, he'll have more coach of the year wins than Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Kyle Shanahan and Mike Tomlin combined lol. Ron Rivera is also a 2 time winner, and while "riverboat ron" was a fun little thing for a bit, I don't know that anyone has ever confused him with being an objectively tremendous coach. 

You are right but Andy Reid won the coach of the year twice even if it was a very long time ago(2000 and 2002)

4 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

You are right but Andy Reid won the coach of the year twice even if it was a very long time ago(2000 and 2002)

He was only the AP coach of the year (the award that is colloquially referred to as the coach of the year) once, in 2002. There are other coach of the year awards that are given out by other publications, but the AP is the one that everyone is typically talking about it. 

Jim Haslett (another beacon of mediocrity winning the award) won the ap coach of the year in 2000. Andy Reid finished second. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He was only the AP coach of the year (the award that is colloquially referred to as the coach of the year) once, in 2002. There are other coach of the year awards that are given out by other publications, but the AP is the one that everyone is typically talking about it. 

Jim Haslett (another beacon of mediocrity winning the award) won the ap coach of the year in 2000. Andy Reid finished second. 

Yeah,you are right on this.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Yea the questionable prestige is what I was hinting at by asking what the award means. It should be more like the MVP in my opinion and less like rookie of the year. Just like Matt Nagy, we have examples of guys winning ROY and then not having a great career

Just now, FrantikRam said:

Yea the questionable prestige is what I was hinting at by asking what the award means. It should be more like the MVP in my opinion and less like rookie of the year. Just like Matt Nagy, we have examples of guys winning ROY and then not having a great career

Would be fun to award it based on a three year cycle. 

2023 coach of the year based on performance from 21/22/23 lol 

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

From that perspective and blending the "best" performance with expectations - I think it should be Harbaugh. I don't think many people had Baltimore being this good - they've obliterated the Browns, Lions, Seahawks and 49ers - four playoff teams. They also handily beat the Texans and Jags, likely another playoff team, and beat the Rams - another possible playoff team. Not to mention the Bengals twice.

And they've rarely even TRAILED this season.

They clearly have a top 2 or 3 roster - but even with that, this is beyond the pale here. Not sure that I've ever seen a dominant performance against that many good teams.

Here’s a fun stat: the Ravens finished the year 7-1 on the road, with

-3 of those games being on the west coast

-1 game being in London

-2 games being on primetime 

That’s a damn good reflection of how reliable and consistent John Harbaugh has been as a coach getting his teams up to play in every sort of circumstance imaginable