General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

Just now, bruceb said:

Seriously?

Rosen should be your #3 on the basis of injury concerns alone.

And Mayfield has been at this a lot longer than Darnold.

Are you choosing Mayfield almost at his ceiling vs. Darnold's?

Wow. I should? Thanks man, I didn't know that. I'll switch it right away!

I don't buy the logical fallacy that just because someone has been doing something a short time they will automatically improve. Or that because someone has been doing something longer they're automatically tapped out. I think Darnold will continue developing, but I can't guarantee it. Especially when I didn't see significant mental strides from year one to two. Mayfield on the other hand improved greatly in his ability to read defenses year to year, so I'm optimistic about his ability to continue doing the same.

As for Rosen, he's #2 largely because of medicals (and having the weakest arm of the three). But really, all of them are splitting hairs. I like all three.

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't buy the logical fallacy that just because someone has been doing something a short time they will automatically improve. Or that because someone has been doing something longer they're automatically tapped out.

How does your investment portfolio look?

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Are you choosing Mayfield almost at his ceiling vs. Darnold's?

His physical ceiling?

As an NFL QB or a college QB?

To be fair, Mayfield at 20 had a significantly better season than Darnold at 20. Darnold at 19 was better than Mayfield at 18 (he had to sit a year) but Mayfield was better at 21 and even better at 22. He may have peaked but there is no proof because he has improved each year. Darnold probably continues to get better had he stayed in college but that just means he has a longer way to go to reach the level he could be at when entering the pros.

Just now, bruceb said:

How does your investment portfolio look?

Are you serious? You do realize that analytics originated in numbers oriented markets right? And that jumping on a stock that opened high and plateaued vs. one that started low and has been steadily climbing is an easy choice?

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Are you serious? You do realize that analytics originated in numbers oriented markets right? And that jumping on a stock that opened high and plateaued vs. one that started low and has been steadily climbing is an easy choice?

Yes, I do.

That's common sense.

Which QB, iyo, has opened high and plateaued?

30 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Oh boy, now the talk is a "smaller Farve".

Yeah that's silly, Favre had 9 more TD in his 44 college starts than Mayfield had last year.

Their games aren't similar. Their styles aren't similar. Darnold is closer to a Favre type, a lot of backfoot throws and takes a lot more chances with tight coverage.  I think Mayfield needs a little more Favre to his game.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah that's silly, Favre had 9 more TD in his 44 college starts than Mayfield had last year.

Their games aren't similar. Their styles aren't similar. Darnold is closer to a Favre type, a lot of backfoot throws and takes a lot more chances with tight coverage.  I think Mayfield needs a little more Favre to his game.

Agreed. I think they're more talking personality-wise. Which I can see moreso. Lots of talk the last couple days (because of Dorsey) that Favre had some significant unpublished off-field issues his first few years where they had to manage him.

So, yeah, I don't think it's a great comp either. I think they're just trying to find an attitude comp that is less serious in its issues than Manziel, but moreso than say, Phillip Rivers.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I dont know man, Farve in todays spread type system in college would of been just silly. Farve could of killed it if he played in a system like Oklahomas.

Favre never seemed like a terrible comp to me.

He doesn’t have quite the arm Favre did, but it’s more than adequate. He’s only an inch or so shorter, 8lbs lighter.  It’s not like Favre was a monster of a man.

Personality wise, Favre makes sense.  Favre had his own issues as a youngster, “ultimate competitor”, etc.

To me, where we’re at after the Manziel fiasco, we can’t miss on another party boy.  If they are CERTAIN he’s not that, I think he’s a viable option based on his actual play, but I also think that’s a tough thing to say you know for certain based on reports. 

I just think there are some questions with him that don’t exist with Darnold which makes him a cleaner prospect and an easier choice at 1.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just think there are some questions with him that don’t exist with Darnold which makes him a cleaner prospect and an easier choice at 1.

Sure, but there are some that are the other way around too. Darnold's fumbling problems, the # of INTs he had off of bad reads, and his lack of development year one to year two are all issues that don't come up with Mayfield. Rosen in turn has health and arm strength questions that Darnold/Mayfield don't.

I like all of the top guys, but they all have flaws and strengths that the others don't. At this point, it's just pick your poison.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Sure, but there are some that are the other way around too. Darnold's fumbling problems, the # of INTs he had off of bad reads, and his lack of development year one to year two are all issues that don't come up with Mayfield.

Id are glue the difference would actually be year 2 to year 3 vs year 4 to year 5, but I see your point.

Rosen in turn has health and arm strength questions that Darnold/Mayfield don't.

For sure.

I like all of the top guys, but they all have flaws and strengths that the others don't. At this point, it's just pick your poison.

Agreed. I’d be ok with any of them.  Darnold is my preference, but it’s not as if I don’t think the other two aren’t great prospects.

Archived