General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

Yeah, Arm Strength is the least of my worries with Josh Rosen.

Too many draftniks are far too quick to bash a guys arm because it is not John Elway. I don't get it. More often than not the guys with the truly elite arms fail in the NFL. I would say that 85% or more of the best QBs to ever play the game have had good to great arms but not elite arms.

I believe Josh Rosen has an extremely high chance of failing in the NFL but it won't be because of his arm talent.

3 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I believe Josh Rosen has an extremely high chance of failing in the NFL but it won't be because of his arm talent.

I don't think he will fail.

I think he is frail.

Looking at Rosen somewhat the same way I looked at Mariota and Bridgewater.

Not built to last in the NFL.

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

That's one.

And as to concerns about his durability.health?

He hasn’t had any chronic injuries.

He played 13 games as a freshman.

Last year he had a shoulder injury that required surgery and was fine to start this season.

This season he missed a little time at the end of the year with a concussion. Concussions happen to anyone. There’s also the belief by many that he could have played in the bowl game, but essentially used the concussion as a reason not to, which doesn’t bother me personally as he had little to gain from one bowl game.

9 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Yeah, Arm Strength is the least of my worries with Josh Rosen.

Too many draftniks are far too quick to bash a guys arm because it is not John Elway. I don't get it. More often than not the guys with the truly elite arms fail in the NFL. I would say that 85% or more of the best QBs to ever play the game have had good to great arms but not elite arms.

They’re like a pitcher with a 100 mph fastball. It’s all well and good when you’re in high school, college, minors, etc, but once you get to the big leagues you need more than an arm to succeed.

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

His arm is stronger than Darnold and Mayfield’s. But all three are plenty enough to get it done. No way should that be a deal breaker for any of them. 

No. Just... no.

I agree with the rest of it. But Rosen clearly has the least raw oomph of the three, which is what people usually use to measure arm strength.

Like, just look at the throw in question. Rosen has to do a full load up and heave it, and ends up with a ton of arc, to get it 45 yards downfield. I've seen Darnold and Mayfield both make 60 yards in the air throws with a similar amount of load up.

They all have adequate arms. But saying Rosen's is the strongest makes no sense. His strength is his incredible timing/mental game. Not his laser rocket arm.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He hasn’t had any chronic injuries.

He played 13 games as a freshman.

Last year he had a shoulder injury that required surgery and was fine to start this season.

This season he missed a little time at the end of the year with a concussion. Concussions happen to anyone. There’s also the belief by many that he could have played in the bowl game, but essentially used the concussion as a reason not to, which doesn’t bother me personally as he had little to gain from one bowl game.

Ehhhh. I love Rosen. He and Mayfield are my 1a/1b and I'd be lights out excited over both. But I wouldn't brush away the medical concerns so quickly. Mainly because it was two concussions this year, which in and of itself is worrying, and then you add the shoulder. It's not a deal breaker (my 1b QB) but it is a legit concern.

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

No. Just... no.

I agree with the rest of it. But Rosen clearly has the least raw oomph of the three, which is what people usually use to measure arm strength.

Like, just look at the throw in question. Rosen has to do a full load up and heave it, and ends up with a ton of arc, to get it 45 yards downfield. I've seen Darnold and Mayfield both make 60 yards in the air throws with a similar amount of load up.

They all have adequate arms. But saying Rosen's is the strongest makes no sense. His strength is his incredible timing/mental game. Not his laser rocket arm.

I assumed he meant *isn't.

I don't really think Rosen heaved that throw though, he threw it from his tip toes for some reason. I still haven't watched much of the prospects so I don't know if that is normal for him. It is better than throwing off of his back foot like you see with so many QBs, including Darnold. That is the main reason I hated Derek Carr as a prospect he did it more than any college QB I ever watched and I thought there was no way that would translate in the NFL. So far he has been successful though even though it has been up and down.

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

He may be a solid corner but I can't stand him. He's a thug.

Thats fine, hes a 'thug' but he is also a top 3-5 CB in the NFL and a 6x Pro Bowler. Aqib Talib is a guy you want on your defense, he is extremely good and he sets a tone and gives your defense an identity. Not to mention you would then have somebody legit to actually guard Antonio Brown and AJ Green.

He could be had probably for a 4th rounder since his contract and age----and thats a 4th rounder I am giving up without hesitation.

If the FO wants to preach 'we need more veteran talent and leaders to help these young guys grow' and cite the Jaguars as an example of being able to turn things around in one offseason then this is a chance to back that up. You dont let a talent and veteran like Talib go to the 49ers for a 5th round pick because you are gunshy.

Archived