General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

16 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

A Patriots super bowl win means Malcolm Butler is more likely to leave New England. He’d have 3 rings and want to get paid.

So I’m rooting for the Pats.

Butlers gone no matter what. Hero play, followed by a season of great play. Bypassed for a big deal in favour of bringing in a corner from outside the team and giving him the monster deal.

He's also had slippage in his play this year and not been that good.

Pats won't pay him and he wants to go get paid elsewhere anyway.

I am and always have been a big BB fan.

Glad to see them winning.

And to see his coaching staff moving on to other things.

But if Brady somehow keeps playing at this level, not sure that there is a whole hell of a lot the rest of the league can do about the Patriots.

10 hours ago, bruceb said:

I am and always have been a big BB fan.

Glad to see them winning.

And to see his coaching staff moving on to other things.

But if Brady somehow keeps playing at this level, not sure that there is a whole hell of a lot the rest of the league can do about the Patriots.

Brady and BB being so dominate is the one good thing about Cleveland constantly being in rebuild. I can’t imagine how frustrating it has to be to have to constantly lose to them.

Pittsburgh would have a dynasty if it wasn’t for New England.

As awesome and "all time great" as both Brady and BB are/have been over the last 17 years, it also goes to show how BAD the rest of the AFC East has been. It's been so bad, that the Patriots have basically been guaranteed a 1st/2nd seed over that course of time. The best QB in that division is honestly Chad Pennington. The Sanchez led Jets that went to back to back AFC Title games (I laughed too) had a great defense and running game, but it's honestly a joke.

The NFC right now is so much better than the AFC that it's really sad. I mean, the Saints, Vikings, Eagles, and even the Falcons may honestly be better than Pittsburgh/Jax, and I'd love to see the road that New England would have in front of them having to face two of these teams, instead of basically getting a 2nd bye playing a team like the Titans.

JMHO

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Pittsburgh is a elite team talent wise. They’re just a damn mess structurally which is ironic.

I won't debate that, but Pittsburgh also plays in a MUCH tougher division, and their walk to a #1 or #2 seed is much more difficult that New England in the horrific AFC East. That was my main point.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Brady and BB being so dominate is the one good thing about Cleveland constantly being in rebuild. I can’t imagine how frustrating it has to be to have to constantly lose to them.

Pittsburgh would have a dynasty if it wasn’t for New England.

But at least pitt and Baltimore have titles during their stretch. 

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Is it just a coincidence that more and more successful teams are running a 4-3 base D? All 4 teams this weekend run a 4-3.

It really does just seem superior to me. 
Great 3-4 DE's are hard to find. great NT can be difficult to find also. 
also your ILB need to be bigger and therefore slower to fit in. which doesn't suit playing against passing teams. 

It also adapts better against spread looks. a 4-3 line you need to take out one line backer and put in a CB. 

a 3-4 team you have to change potentially more players and almost revert to a 4 man front anyway. 

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Is it just a coincidence that more and more successful teams are running a 4-3 base D? All 4 teams this weekend run a 4-3.

Edit- Geesh only 2 teams ran a 3-4 in Kansas City and Pittsburgh and both of their defenses sucked.

I think 3-4 is better for disguising blitzes and having the heavier players helps in the run game

But with quick passing attacks in the NFL and teams playing more and more 3 WR sets and more athletic TEs, defenses need more pressure from D-linemen and LBs that can cover

59 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

I think 3-4 is better for disguising blitzes and having the heavier players helps in the run game

But with quick passing attacks in the NFL and teams playing more and more 3 WR sets and more athletic TEs, defenses need more pressure from D-linemen and LBs that can cover

I think multiple fronts is also a trend now. Where you can send an SLB/WLB as a 5th rusher or drop him into coverage, or even drop a zone DE.

Plus with nickel becoming most team's base package, it seems like taking a 4-3 WLB off the field in favor of a 3rd S type or a SCB does less to structurally change a defense than taking out a 3-4 ILB or OLB would in making the same switch.

Archived