General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Why the picks?

Has he already signed a contract with SF?

No, but they have even more money than us and no reason in hell not to franchise him. Thus, we'd give up both our first round picks this year for him, plus a 25+ million a year contract. And besides, all the stuff that's come out since the trade said he didn't want to be here, so if the choice is get a boatload of money from the place he wanted to be, with the young, genius offensive coach, or get a boatload of money where he DOESN'T want to be, with Hueball as his coach, which do you think he's gonna pick?

5 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

Read this on the Dolphins forum regarding Jarvis Landry

Is Landry just a slot WR or slot/outside WR (#2)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The funny thing is someone will probably give it to him.

Yeah, Landry is a slot receiver, purely. Like, we have a better version of Landry already on the team in Duke Johnson. Landry has a couple inches on him, but he isn't faster, if anything Duke has a significant edge there. One of my favorite NFL folks calls Landry the "target welfare queen" of the NFL, in that he isn't that good, but Miami has forced him the ball so much that his raw totals look way more impressive than they are.

I sound like I hate Landry, which I really don't. But the guy should be getting 4-7M a year to be an okay #3 slot WR, not 14-15M to be somebody's top target.

On 1/16/2018 at 12:05 AM, H2ThaIzzo said:

Not sure how the guy with the proven stats of a successful QB can lead to mediocrity, but the guy that everyone says is a developmental project and not a sure thing (who yes, is also my QB #1 if we draft one high) is no doubt going to be successful. 

I guess I’m just not a huge fan of his. Whenever I watch him he looks just ok. I see a future star in Darnold. Having a franchise guy for a long time like the Stillers just really appeals to me. That’s all. Like I’ve said if we signed him I would warm up to it and hope he’s a stud here. 

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

I guess I’m just not a huge fan of his. Whenever I watch him he looks just ok. I see a future star in Darnold. Having a franchise guy for a long time like the Stillers just really appeals to me.

Me, too.

2 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Yeah I like Jarvis Landry for 10-11 million a year because he is such a good safety valve and we'll need one for a young QB, but 14.5 a year is a little extreme especially long term. I'd much rather bring back Terrelle Pryor and let Duke work from the slot. 

yeah, i think i would rather above average to good W's than one great one. 

If the browns go with Darnold or Rosen, go get Landry, no matter the price. Please surround a QB like him with a load of talent. Even if he sits for a year. If Darnold/Rosen is the real deal, when the money comes off the books for Landry it will be going straight to the QB. 

57 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I'm fine with paying Landry 

just hope Hue would use him 

Guys I would rather sign at WR than Landry, for the same money:

Allen Robinson - Knee injury introduces risk, but the ceiling is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher.
Sammy Watkins - Same story. And he actually had very sure hands this year.
Marqise Lee - Really under rated, would be a solid #3
Paul Richardson - If Hue is insisting on a deep shots offense, Richardson makes way more sense than Landry.
Donte Moncrief - Major injury history, risky, upside shot, this one I'm on the fence about.

Guys who are going to make 1/4 of what Landry will get that I'd prefer: Cody Lattimer, Ryan Grant, Jordan Matthews, Kendall Wright, Mike Wallace.

I think I'm basically saying that I don't want to mess up our cap by spending for the sake of spending on a guy who is going to get paid double what he's worth because he happened to be in an offense that force fed him the ball constantly. I love the idea of a possession receiver, Joe J type, but I think Landry is only adequate at that role, he looks better mainly because of quantity, not quality.

So, if there was a young, legit top 30 receiver available (cough, Allen Robinson, cough), I would strongly support throwing 14M+ AAV at him. But I don't support throwing that money at a guy I think is more sizzle than substance.

41 minutes ago, brownie man said:

we've got money to burn 

just do something to make me excited 

Like I said, I do get both of these. I just think there are guys at other positions way more worthy of the money (CB, S, etc.), and that I think we have a better version of him on the roster already in Duke if we actually used him consistently.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yeah I'd rather have Robinson 

Landry is just a great security blanket for a young QB

we've got money to burn 

just do something to make me excited 

I don’t see the Jags letting their WRs walk. Specially with the run they are on. They are going to want to keep their young offensive players to match up with this defense 

i also don’t see how someone can compare Landry and Duke. Duke is a great receiver for being a RB. Landry is a darn good WR for being a true WR. He would look good playing in this group of WRs if JG stays clean. Money should be a none issue with him cause JG won’t see a disgustingly huge deal if he manages to make it that far and their is no true franchise QB. Now if the QB they draft #1 becomes that franchise QB, well the time that QB contract is up, Landry’s deal should be coming off the books. 

Also having his college WR coach being the new WR coach here makes a lot of sense for him. 

Archived