General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

4 hours ago, dawgdish said:

What I don't understand is people's aversion to signing a franchise QB because we would take a cap hit.

I can't speak for anyone else but the money is only part of my objection to Cousins.

The other part is that he is not a franchise QB.

Not close, imho.

MOR+

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Exactly. One of the big reasons the browns have always had cap space because they were never paying a QB franchise money. 

If it comes to that, how about we wait for a franchise QB is available.

Jimmy G looks like he might be worth that kind of cash.

Cousins, not so much.

Let's go after Jimmy G. if we feel like to need to spend money.

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

Cousins, not so much.

Collin Kaepernick (spelling?) statistically over their last five games is better than Jimmy G. More TD’s less INT’s almost identical completion percentage. 

They did that playing for the same team

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

I can't speak for anyone else but the money is only part of my objection to Cousins.

Not close, imho.

MOR+

He has thrown corn 4000 yards for the past 3years with his only semblance of a receiving threat being Pierre garçon and Jordan reed, is he Brady Rodgers or Brees no but you certainly certainly can build around him

25 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

He has thrown corn 4000 yards for the past 3years with his only semblance of a receiving threat being Pierre garçon and Jordan reed, is he Brady Rodgers or Brees no but you certainly certainly can build around him

Yeah I don't really want Cousins although I think we probably win a handful of games with him this year, something just doesn't seem quite right about getting him. I do think he is good though. He has low times but they are fairly rare and otherwise he is very accurate and steady.

Basically I feel like arguing with those that want Cousins and those that don't think Cousins is very good. Which covers a great deal of people. 

I wouldn't be heartbroken with him, he is a rich man's Cody Kessler, but it still feels like we should get our QBOTF in this draft and throw him to the fire. An opinion that I feel like I only have. Kizer broke a lot of fans.

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

Not close, imho.

MOR+

I think the biggest reason many fans are objecting to Kirk Cousins is much deeper than money. No fan really care how much players are paid. Most of the objections come from the fear of the unknown or being burned by yet another QB. The last 15 years Browns fans have always argued mocksters about taking a QB in the Top 10 or even higher. When it boils down to it and more critiques come out about the QBs this year I can see Browns fans finding reasons to not draft a QB again this year.

I'm not hear to defend Kirk just to point out Browns fans are going to find a reason to not want every QB.

I personally think A.J. McCarron is unfairly hated here as well. I think he has more potential than Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith. If he becomes available in free agency he'd be my #1 choice.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I personally think A.J. McCarron is unfairly hated here as well. I think he has more potential than Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith. If he becomes available in free agency he'd be my #1 choice.

AJ McCarron> Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins

hmmmmmmm

what exaclty makes you say that?

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

hmmmmmmm

He didn’t say McCarron is better than them. He just said he has more potential, which is hard to argue. He is younger and cheaper and has looked good in spot starts. He just has no real substance to him tho. Also helps he has played for a Hue before. Where Smith and Cousins haven’t and that they are both 30 or older and will cost you a lot of money or draft picks.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

Cousins, not so much.

I would be all about spending the money on jimmy g but too bad it’s going to take more than money to get him. Gonna take a lot of money and two 1st rd picks to get him. That is a lot for a guy who has only been a fill time starter for 5games. I wonder how he plays once DCs get a feel for his game and starts playing his division opponents 2nd Ike around. We all remember Hoyer looking godly to us in his first 8games or so as the full time QB under Shanny and then he fell apart after defenses properly calibrated to him. Does the same thing happen to JimmyG? Who knows. With Cousins he has 3 years of play that proves he can be a stud. It’s the first time a legit franchise QB might be hitting the open waters or at least testing it. The browns need to go after it. He could play 5-8years for he Browns, so this QBOTF talk can easily end with him. Playing 5-8 years with the Browns is basically the careers of like 15other QBs for Cleveland. Hell im not even greedy, I just want a starting QB who could lead 3-5 years. Baby steps

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I don't really want Cousins although I think we probably win a handful of games with him this year, something just doesn't seem quite right about getting him. I do think he is good though. He has low times but they are fairly rare and otherwise he is very accurate and steady.

Basically I feel like arguing with those that want Cousins and those that don't think Cousins is very good. Which covers a great deal of people. 

I wouldn't be heartbroken with him, he is a rich man's Cody Kessler, but it still feels like we should get our QBOTF in this draft and throw him to the fire. An opinion that I feel like I only have. Kizer broke a lot of fans.

I don’t think Kizer broke anyone, I think we’re just looking at the fact that unless we win games, more folks get fired and the circle of ineptitude continues.

Cousins, to me, was an option more so if Darnold and Rosen returned to school.

At this point I think Alex Smith or a lesser free agent on a 1 year deal is a better option to bridge the gap for Darnold.

14 hours ago, bruceb said:

Not close, imho.

MOR+

For me, I think Cousins can be a franchise QB, or whatever the one-level-below that Alex Smith currently is, and at 30 y.o. would be well suited to go to a team like Jacksonville or Arizona or Buffalo who are further along in their team-build and basically ready to contend now. Our window is not even cracked open yet, with so many young players (especially if we take the advice of some posters here and trade off one of our high first round picks for future picks yet again), we need to grab a stopgap/tutor QB like Bradford on a 2 yr deal and let Darnold or Rosen  grow up with this young crew. If we took Cousins, most of these guys would be hitting their stride and moving into their second contracts when Cousins would be tailing off.

15 hours ago, brownie man said:

hmmmmmmm

I will answer that question but I do not have time right now. I actually really like McCarron's game and I believe he can be a playoff caliber/championship caliber QB. He will never put a team on his shoulders but really in the last 20 years only 3 guys have been able to do that IMO and that is Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. As good as Big Ben has been he has always had a great supporting cast around him especially the years he won it all and both years were more on his defenses than him.

PFF released overall grades on all 3rd round picks for last year. Numer who scored higher than Larry "future star" Ogunjobi : 3 (Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, John Johnson). People he scored higher than: Cooper Kupp, Shaq Griffin, Kenny Golladay, Jordan Lewis, C.J. Beathard, Kendall Beckwith.

I love me some Larry.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At this point I think Alex Smith or a lesser free agent on a 1 year deal is a better option to bridge the gap for Darnold.

I agree

9 hours ago, dawgdish said:

If we took Cousins, most of these guys would be hitting their stride and moving into their second contracts when Cousins would be tailing off.

This is a big reason why I agree with LGB.

Archived