Josh Dobbs, the Passtronaut

General Tso

or alternatively the Pocket Scientist

This guy's career arc is something like we haven't seen outside of maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick. He might be even smarter than Fitz, who went to Harvard.

Will he magically carry Minnesota to the playoffs? And what's his next year's destination? New England? Atlanta? The Moon?

• Like 2

TBH, this speaks to how good of an OC Kevin O'Connell is.    Dobbs mobility is something Cousins never had - and they're incorporating it with some QB runs (not the TD you're seeing on highlights) and then when Mattison went down, they used more perimeter runs with Ty Chandler, too.  

Still, Dobbs left the pocket about 4-5x when he didn't need to, and he missed several reads / throws that on other days, stalls drives.   But given MIN was left for dead when Cousins went down (he was carrying that O with no run game), Dobbs' mobility and willingness to throw downfield, combined with MIN's legit D (Brian Flores is that dude at DC), MIN has a real shot to make the playoffs.    SEA is the #6 seed, and we see the flaws they have - there's literally no other team in the NFC who is ahead of them, and none who makes you think they're set to go on a run (TAM at 4-5 is the nearest team, which is pretty wild). 

I was one of many who LOL'd at the original projections, and he's still a very flawed QB.   But MIN can make this work with the D they have and KOC working to leverage the mobility / willingness to throw it downfield.   But more importantly, I have to say it's not hard to root for Dobbs - I mean he even took up Cousins' legacy with Creed (their winning streak started with Cousins mentioning they play it before each game) lol:

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Let’s not forget he’s doing it without Justin Jefferson. KJ Osborn has been banged up. Even Hockenson had to play through injuries. Darrisaw missed the game against Atlanta. On Sunday, the Vikes top 3 WRs were Jordan Addison, Brandon Powell and Jalen Nailer.

Dobbs has been impressive given the context of not really knowing the offense, absolutely no run game to lean on and an offense that’s been pretty banged up. 

The next several games look easy on paper… Broncos, Bears, Raiders; they should be able to gain some momentum getting Jefferson back and Dobbs more integrated into the offense.

As for where he plays next year, could make for an interesting decision. Does Mn bring back Cousins or Dobbs. They’ll be too good to lean on a draft pick. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Let’s not forget he’s doing it without Justin Jefferson. KJ Osborn has been banged up. Even Hockenson had to play through injuries. Darrisaw missed the game against Atlanta. On Sunday, the Vikes top 3 WRs were Jordan Addison, Brandon Powell and Jalen Nailer.

Dobbs has been impressive given the context of not really knowing the offense, absolutely no run game to lean on and an offense that’s been pretty banged up. 

The next several games look easy on paper… Broncos, Bears, Raiders; they should be able to gain some momentum getting Jefferson back and Dobbs more integrated into the offense.

As for where he plays next year, could make for an interesting decision. Does Mn bring back Cousins or Dobbs. They’ll be too good to lean on a draft pick. 

The 3 things that killed him in his ARI time flaw-wise:

1.  While he's incredibly mobile, he definitely can get happy feet and leaves the pocket before pressure is there.

2.  His accuracy isn't great, as his mechanics get wonky out of the blue.   

3.  Most importantly, he was prone to making TO-worthy plays a lot.   PFF isn't the gospel, but other metrics sites and the film room back up there were a lot:

Still, with a great OL and a smart OC, they can leverage the running ability and willingness to throw downfield.  And yeah, Justin Jefferson helps a ton with Hockenson & Addison.   Just be careful not to go too overboard - what Dobbs did last week with KOC was nothing short of extraordinary, and both should be commended (FWIW, I took MIN in our pick 'em pools both times because of the D / OL / coaching edge, so I say the above supporting the idea that MIN is the favorite for the #6 or #7 playoff spot).  

I’m sure the receivers would love to have Cousins back as the starter. I fully expect a pretty big drop in passing production going from Cousins to Dobbs. Cousins accuracy was top level and the chemistry he had with Jefferson will be hard to replicate. Dobbs does some nice things to but he’s clearly going to miss a lot of throws Cousins routinely makes, but Dobbs is much better off script; who knows what will be more effective for this team going forward. 

Edited by vikingsrule