Week 11 GDT : Los Angeles Chargers (4-5) @ Green Bay Packers (3-6)

Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree...but I just want him gone at this point. Except for this year...he shouldnt be part of GB going forward IMO.

At this point, for better or worse, when the defense has a decent game I tend to chalk it up to the players making it happen more than I do Barry calling a good game. I’m still dying at watching CBs play 10 yards off the ball when it’s 3rd and 4.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I get the general frustration with Barry 100%, but today wasn't evidence of anything related to Barry or the defense.  The DB group GB had out there today was scary.  Vallentine, Ballentine, Nixon, Owens and Johnson?  That's not much to work with.

While I'm completely on board with the reality that Barry is being "limited" by his lack of experience on the back end, has he really done anything to suggest he's the DC that is going to win a championship?  We're consistently a bottom-3rd defense and we're the T-3rd worst in takeaways.  There's nothing that's going well defensively.  And given how much we've invested in our defense over the last several years, its' either the coaching or the GM.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

While I'm completely on board with the reality that Barry is being "limited" by his lack of experience on the back end, has he really done anything to suggest he's the DC that is going to win a championship?  We're consistently a bottom-3rd defense and we're the T-3rd worst in takeaways.  There's nothing that's going well defensively.  And given how much we've invested in our defense over the last several years, its' either the coaching or the GM.

If I gave the impression I want Barry retained as DC, I sincerely apologize.  I most certainly do not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

If I gave the impression I want Barry retained as DC, I sincerely apologize.  I most certainly do not.

I wasn't trying to suggest you were.  I was merely saying at a certain point enough is enough.  And we're probably a year past that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's nothing that's going well defensively.  And given how much we've invested in our defense over the last several years, its' either the coaching or the GM.

My 'flogging a dead horse' mantra for this year is putting the lions share of blame on the coaches. I know it is a very young team and that does carry some weight, but it is probably a better team if the DC and a position coach or two are replaced. Any blame for weak coaching falls directly on LaFleur for me, because I assume he gets his own choice of position coaches and coordinators.

There is usually a talented young coach or two available at the end of each year and it is up to the Head Coach to try and keep on upgrading his coaching group. I think the Packers need some churn there.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

My 'flogging a dead horse' mantra for this year is putting the lions share of blame on the coaches. I know it is a very young team and that does carry some weight, but it is probably a better team if the DC and a position coach or two are replaced. Any blame for weak coaching falls directly on LaFleur for me, because I assume he gets his own choice of position coaches and coordinators.

There is usually a talented young coach or two available at the end of each year and it is up to the Head Coach to try and keep on upgrading his coaching group. I think the Packers need some churn there.

If I had to fathom a guess, I'd imagine that the Packers are usually on the cheaper end of the spectrum as far as coaching goes.  Don't get me wrong, I think there are only a handful of coordinators making substantial money ($3M+ annually).  But if I had to guess that the median is $1M, I'd guess that Rich Bisaccia is probably the highest paid coordinator around $1.5M.  I'd imagine Joe Barry is probably just under the median at around 900k, while Adam Stenovich is probably around 750k.

But going back to your point, at the end of the day you can turnover 50% of your roster every offseason, you can replace the coordinator and some coaching staff, or you can replace the GM.  One of those 3 is the root of the issue.  You replace the GM, and you're likely bringing in someone from outside the organization and that affects the entire organization.  You replace the bottom third of the roster already, so replacing guys who are rotational players probably isn't the solution.  The coaching staff is the "easiest" fix.  Gute has been GM since 2018, and we've had Mike Pettine (2018-2020) and Joe Barry (2021-2023) as our DCs.  Both were retread hires.

Right now, I don't see there's any way you don't can Joe Barry and if Jim Leonhard was your guy and he spurned you to stick with his alma mater that the wouldn't be very interested in the Packers' DC gig this go around.  I will be upset if we go with another retread that has at best a middling history.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think I would have kept that “first time in 2 years” part to myself if I was MLF lol

Intentional or unintentional, that was a dig at Aaron Rodgers.  That ENTIRE locker room knows who the starting QB of the Packers was last year.