Ravens TE Mark Andrews suffers season-ending ankle injury

RaidersAreOne

They've banned the hip-drop in the NRL which is Rugby League in Australia, the premier competition in the sport. It's so tough to officiate, even in a sport with less gang tackling (in Football everyone flies to the ball, whereas you can't do that in Rugby because it's easier for the ball carrier to offload).

It's much, much easier to justify the outlawing of hip-drops in Rugby League because every yard doesn't matter anywhere near as much as it does in the NFL. Trying to make it illegal to hip-drop in a sport where 1 yard is equates to a massive 10% of your overall objective is just not going to happen.

It's awful when people get hurt, but I don't see how this sport can work without the hip-drop being legal, unless you overhaul the sport as a whole (obviously not going to happen).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I wonder if Likely just remains in his role and Charlie Kolar ascends to "starting" TE, and then the role % increases for Likely?

I think this tells us part of the story:

Likely played 49 snaps, Kolar played 11 (and I think most were in garbage time).

It's definitely Likely that's going to start, but I just don't expect them to feature him anywhere near like they did with Mark. You should expect Bateman and Flowers to get a significant uptick in targets.

15 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's awful when people get hurt, but I don't see how this sport can work without the hip-drop being legal, unless you overhaul the sport as a whole (obviously not going to happen).

I mean the issue with banning yet another form of tackling with the defense is that they're already ridiculously hindered because of the goal of player safety.

It's very unfortunate that Andrews was injured. Likely should fill in nicely. But it doesn't make Mark Andrews getting hurt any less unfortunate 

• Like 1

Hate this whole “ban hip drop tackle” narrative. It’s football, injuries happen from time to time. The QB protection rules are already ruining the game, why ruin it even further with this BS. 

On a side note sucks for Andrews, but it seems his best years may be behind him. He seems injury prone the past couple years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Hate this whole “ban hip drop tackle” narrative. It’s football, injuries happen from time to time. The QB protection rules are already ruining the game, why ruin it even further with this BS. 

On a side note sucks for Andrews, but it seems his best years may be behind him. He seems injury prone the past couple years. 

I get very torn on it. I think I'd need to see an actual number of tackles made via hip drop to really form an opinion. They have resulted in some significant injuries.

I think trying to fully legislate injuries out of the game is a bad idea.  But at the same time, if these type of tackles happen like once a game, I'd go ahead and ban it.