Week 11 GDT: Titans(3-6) @ Jaguars(6-3)

TitanSlim

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

our total inability to use kyle phillips in the underneath game just feels so par for the course with this team. hell, our total inability to have a quick passing game in general feels stupid. the fact that he only had one target yesterday while we repeatedly ran long-developing deep/intermediate concepts as our OL collapsed is absurd. i haven't had a huge problem with tim kelly and i get that he's working with two hands tied his back, but i'm just not sure why we're not even attempting more of that sort of thing given those constraints.

This is my thing too. On replays we just keep seeing Levis getting instantly pressured, but I also don’t see a route anywhere before 10 yards. And at the same time we’re blocking with 6-8 players so we’re restricting how many options as well. It’s just a disaster. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Gotcha. 

Well, when I looked through all those drop backs, I thought he forced 2 passes that were close to INTs.

Was sacked 2 times and I thought really one of them is where he possibly was at blame. That first sack, Brewer got beat very quick up the middle then Radunz blew it closing the escape windows. 

Do you think the fumbled snap was on him?  Would have liked to see him catch it but was a bad snap. 

1 bad pass to Chig. 
Everything else was on target or a screen.  Without seeing the All-22, not sure if he could have hit downfield on checkdowns.

I guess if grading him and someone felt out of that equaled a bad game, I guess I understand that.

I thought he had 4 bad plays without seeing the All-22. I'd grade it at about "C."

Wish we could have passed the ball more.

No.  My thoughts on it are pretty much the same as yours.

I'm not saying that this game shows Levis is a bad QB, I think it's a game that Levis did not play well in.

Pressure was constant, and there was little help from the run game as well because of awful OL play, and the defense did no favors.  He was put in a bad situation, so it's hard to blame him for it.  He had no margin for error.

But a great QB I think can play better in that kind of situation.  Levis wasn't great yesterday.  Doesn't mean much, it just is what it is.  There's a lot around him that needs to be fixed before he can be fairly evaluated.

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

these grades are so confusing to me. i don't understand how it's possible that we had 3 of our 5 starting OL with good pass blocking grades and still saw the horror show that we did yesterday.

I think its because of the way the stunts and blitzes look on TV, but when broke down, you see slightly different.

Like that first sack, I thought it was Skron, but it was really Brewer that blew it. 

You know what, I don't know. lol I'm trying that out and i don't even really fully believe it. lol

If I'm a DC, I blitz and stunt every play. lol

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No.  My thoughts on it are pretty much the same as yours.

I'm not saying that this game shows Levis is a bad QB, I think it's a game that Levis did not play well in.

Pressure was constant, and there was little help from the run game as well because of awful OL play, and the defense did no favors.  He was put in a bad situation, so it's hard to blame him for it.  He had no margin for error.

But a great QB I think can play better in that kind of situation.  Levis wasn't great yesterday.  Doesn't mean much, it just is what it is.  There's a lot around him that needs to be fixed before he can be fairly evaluated.

For their own reasons. I think they took the ball out of his hands. So many quick screens on so many drop backs. I don't think we gave ourselves a real chance. I guess that's because of the lack of success from everywhere else too. 

Hope hit on exactly what I have been saying is my issue with the philosophy of a Vrabel run team. There are hardly any quick developing plays...no quick slants, no shallow crossers, no drag routes. Someone put the All 22 from last week and on the 2nd drive second play we actually had Chig run a shallow crosser and TB literally didn't even guard it at all...Levis hit someone for like a 7 yard out route but there was no one within 10 yards of Chig and clearly we don't coach to even look at that. 

So the issue is that this is the offense Vrabel wants and there is no effort to adjust when we don't have the personnel to run that offense. If he was willing to adapt and play to the personnel we have I would be more comfortable with him as the coach, because he is a good coach. I just think his time here is done and his message has gotten stale with our team. He wants to be physical, smart, and wear teams down...right now we are none of that. It doesn't take talent to be smart and physical.

I think if he went to LA Chargers they instantly become a better team because the talent is in place...but he does not seem like a builder to me. I don't know how many are old enough to remember Marty Schottenhiemer, but he was a builder...he went to bad teams and they became good, but never good enough to win a SB. I think Vrabel is the opposite I think he can take a good roster and sell them on being SB winners...but don't see his ability to raise below average players to be good. 

One thing that really stands out to me, and I wonder how much it has to do with Brewer, is just how out of sync our OL is at all times. Obviously all of the turnover on that unit isn’t doing anyone any favors, but it’s so clear how much we struggle with any sort of disguised blitz or rush.

You watch other teams constantly pick up our pressure. The DBs virtually never get through. And then you watch our line consistently allow a free rusher, or see Levis get hit while one or two of our linemen is blocking air.

I know Levis, and Tannehill before him, are making some checks at the line, but I know with Ben that it was usually the center’s responsibility to make the line calls. And it feels like tossing an inexperienced center on a line with a combo of bad, inexperienced and/or new faces only exacerbates the talent issues.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

One thing that really stands out to me, and I wonder how much it has to do with Brewer, is just how out of sync our OL is at all times. Obviously all of the turnover on that unit isn’t doing anyone any favors, but it’s so clear how much we struggle with any sort of disguised blitz or rush.

You watch other teams constantly pick up our pressure. The DBs virtually never get through. And then you watch our line consistently allow a free rusher, or see Levis get hit while one or two of our linemen is blocking air.

I know Levis, and Tannehill before him, are making some checks at the line, but I know with Ben that it was usually the center’s responsibility to make the line calls. And it feels like tossing an inexperienced center on a line with a combo of bad, inexperienced and/or new faces only exacerbates the talent issues.

it probably is playing a big part

overall, it's a very inexperienced OL. I think that shows as much as the general lack of talent.

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Hope hit on exactly what I have been saying is my issue with the philosophy of a Vrabel run team. There are hardly any quick developing plays...no quick slants, no shallow crossers, no drag routes. Someone put the All 22 from last week and on the 2nd drive second play we actually had Chig run a shallow crosser and TB literally didn't even guard it at all...Levis hit someone for like a 7 yard out route but there was no one within 10 yards of Chig and clearly we don't coach to even look at that. 

So the issue is that this is the offense Vrabel wants and there is no effort to adjust when we don't have the personnel to run that offense. If he was willing to adapt and play to the personnel we have I would be more comfortable with him as the coach, because he is a good coach. I just think his time here is done and his message has gotten stale with our team. He wants to be physical, smart, and wear teams down...right now we are none of that. It doesn't take talent to be smart and physical.

I think if he went to LA Chargers they instantly become a better team because the talent is in place...but he does not seem like a builder to me. I don't know how many are old enough to remember Marty Schottenhiemer, but he was a builder...he went to bad teams and they became good, but never good enough to win a SB. I think Vrabel is the opposite I think he can take a good roster and sell them on being SB winners...but don't see his ability to raise below average players to be good. 

🗣keep speaking the truth Brotha I am here for all of this, finally someone that stands with me on the side of justice & righteousness 🙌🏽

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

We just make offense hard.

Watching the Vikings yesterday I was jealous.  They make it all look easy. 

it's been this way with both teams i follow, the titans and the miami hurricanes, for years. it seems like every other team has figured out how to cook up easy yardage and quickly get guys the ball in space to make something happen, sometimes even when they're at a talent disadvantage (this is more true in college but not impossible in the nfl), but i have the luck of following two teams that wouldn't know that if it walked up to them and smacked them in the face.

5 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Said it in the state of the titans thread. Ben Jones is a huge miss and it’s showing massively.