2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

6 hours ago, Techbert said:

Saw the comment Now I know why I am lower on Corley than everyone else, and it resonated with me.

PS I have been mad high on Franklin, Wilson, and Baker as well. (High on Malik Washington, too, but different reasons.)

I mean, i don't think that information should come as remotely surprising when looking at Corley and what he does.  I think anyone seriously looking at him and trying to project what he'll do at the NFL level...is going to see his weird stocky tanky build and his overall skillset, and realize that he's going to be very much a "get the ball in his hands" type target.  The sort of guy who is probably going to rely pretty heavily on schemed up touches (like screens) to get the ball in his hands and let him focus on running hard and making yards after the catch.

I think realistically...if he's gonna be successful, it'll be doing a lot of the same sort of things you see teams doing when they split their "pass catching RB" out as a Receiver.  You almost have to treat him that way, since that's basically the way he's built and the way he plays.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:51 AM, massraider said:

Career YPRR after removing screens from the 2024 WR class.

Johnny Wilson and Javon Baker.......

It's a small adjustment, but it's interesting to me to see Nabers is the only one of the top guys with a negative adjustment there.  It certainly aligns with my perception of him in some ways, but is still a bit surprising given how many decidedly non-screen homerun deep ball plays he's got on his resume.  Which i would've figured might bring up that figure.

49 minutes ago, Danger said:

Are people succumbing to recency bias, or am I alone on this hill in feeling JaMarr Chase was a better prospect than MHJ? 

Both blue chips, don't get me wrong, but JaMarr was the best to me since Calvin Johnson.

I think they're pretty different prospects.  I loved Chase a lot more than most even, at the time.  But i think MHJ is an overall better, more complete, "well rounded" receiving prospect.  Maybe not by a huge amount for me personally...but i think that "do everything" ability being more highly regarded, probably makes him a more universally "highly rated" prospect as a whole.  Some of that is also probably just the offense Chase was coming out of, not really showing off certain aspects of his game as much.  But MHJ is one of those receiver prospects where it's hard to really say there's anything that he can't do at a very high, if not elite level.

But yeah...both absolutely blue chip WR prospects.  Hard to go wrong either way.  If they were in the same draft though, i think MHJ probably still goes first 9 times out of 10 at least.  Unless you get a team that just really prefers the little edge in physicality that Chase showed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Are people succumbing to recency bias, or am I alone on this hill in feeling JaMarr Chase was a better prospect than MHJ? 

Both blue chips, don't get me wrong, but JaMarr was the best to me since Calvin Johnson.

Well…

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Nabers > MHJ

I wasn’t a huge Chase guy either but I could see Chase>MHJ

Chase was awfully close to MHJ. I don’t know who I think is better, honestly. I don’t do numbers or anything. Chase was obviously the best WR prospect of his class by a significant margin.

MHJ is the best in his class by a slim margin, but Nabers is better imo than any receiver in the 2021 class other than Chase, do who knows?

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I remember being a Waddle>Chase guy. I was HIGH on Waddle as a prospect. He has underwhelmed a little but I think he is overshadowed by Tyreek Hill.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I’m a big Keon Coleman guy.

These two comments back-to-back make me very wary, and liable to start reconsidering my own perspective on Keon Coleman.  Whom i'm also very big on.  😆

But i also say that in jest, as i'm already a little nervous he's gonna be another one of these Moncrief/Treadwell/Kevin White types that completely hoodwinks me again, and can't get enough reliable separation at the next level.

• Like 3

I'm lower on Nabers than most seem to be. He doesn't seem to get much separation. He's a bit of a tank and I don't think he has the burst he's getting credited for. He's certainly fast as all get out but it takes him a second to get up to speed. His route running feels overrated too. He's getting Julio comps but he's only 6'0", 3 or 4 inches shorter than JJ. I consistently see people credit his quickness off press while also saying he's bad at getting off press... So I'm not really sure what people are seeing there. I've often noticed his lack of separation. He has great speed and highpoints really, really well but I don't see a lot of what everyone else seems to.

Really big on Keon Coleman. Great size, great radius, runs great routes, great YAC, great with contested catches etc. I'd like to see him run at the combine before I make any real judgements, but right now I think he's my #2 receiver in this draft. He doesn't seem very fast and that could be his biggest issue. He could run really poorly at the combine and that would knock him down a bunch.

Edited by nagahide13

Brian Thomas Jr. might be the highest ceiling guy in the draft at WR but I sort of get the impression from him that he isn’t always focused in some way, shape or form. Not sure if it’s a lack of consistent effort, toughness, or maturity but it seems like there is something slightly lacking that prevents him from being elite. I hope for him that it isn’t a lack of awareness and that he plays it up to his advantage so that he evolves into a savvy all-around receiver.

The hassle with a guy like Corley is:

If he is a gadget guy, who needs manufactured touches, and cannot just play a classic WR spot, is that whoever drafts him might have a plan in place, but will that be true with the next OC or head coach? 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Is it Opposite Day already? 

Nah, when I watch him I see him take advantage of a lotta soft zone and beating blown coverages over the top. I don't think that stuff is nearly as available at the next level. I don't think he's going to bust necessarily but I definitely don't see him as a top 5 pick like some project. I think he's probably going to be the 3rd or 4th best out of the class.

• Like 1