2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

56 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

He’s got the Mike Evans profile but seems slightly less competitive in nature or sloppy running routes.

Yeah.  Mike Evans is something that comes to mind for me as well.  But he's a bit different.  I think he's faster but less physical than Evans.

But thinking back to Evans as a prospect, he was far from a polished, competitive route runner either.  He was also coming out of a wonky gimmick offense where he just went downfield and bullied people for the TD catch.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Mike Evans is something that comes to mind for me as well.  But he's a bit different.  I think he's faster but less physical than Evans.

But thinking back to Evans as a prospect, he was far from a polished, competitive route runner either.  He was also coming out of a wonky gimmick offense where he just went downfield and bullied people for the TD catch.

I don’t think Evans got enough credit for how well he immediately translated to the NFL despite the high draft position and judging by your comment. But I agree about the similarity between Evans and BTJ as well as the differences in physicality.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I don’t think Evans got enough credit for how well he immediately translated to the NFL despite the high draft position and judging by your comment. But I agree about the similarity between Evans and BTJ as well as the differences in physicality.

Mike Evans and Brian Thomas Jr?  

For one I would be very surprised if Brian Thomas Jr is actually 6-4. and if so that is sad because he does not play like a big body long WR at all really.  Love his speed and ability to get separation but no way he is Mike Evans, Mike Evans is great after the catch and what weighs 30 pounds more than Thomas?  Also Evans is by far a better jump ball WR than Thomas that is not even a question.

Mike Evans has what 10 straight 1000 yard seasons and has never had under 1000 yards receiving in his career.  Even Jerry Rice as a rookie had under 1000 yards, and Jerry Rice had 11 years in a row with 1000+ yards receiving, if Evans has two more years of 1000 yards he breaks that what I assume to be record.  

I would be very surprised if Brian Thomas is that elite of a player, much less if he is legit 6-4 which he is probably not.

To me those two are not really alike at all.  Brian Thomas Jr is closer to a more physical and tough Jameson Williams, but might not be quite as fast as Jameson is when healthy.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

would be very surprised if Brian Thomas is that elite of a player, much less if he is legit 6-4 which he is probably not.

you are taking it too far as a one for one comparison when that’s not what I was suggesting. I don’t see BTJ having the same success as Evans but I think they have similar profiles in general as far as strengths and weaknesses. But I agree they’re different players still. Thomas Jr is much more twitchy with speed and burst and has slightly better hands yet Evans is better at the point of contact and fights for the pass better with his positioning and frame. Evans is heavier and slightly taller/longer arms and all around seemed more polished out of A&M and mentally ready to start in the NFL. Thomas Jr. is a little soft in some areas but overall both guys stretch the field and present big targets over the top. I think Thomas projects as a slightly better YAC guy than Evans, too.

• Like 1

Steve Smiths WR List  

1) MHJ

2)Nabers

3)Odunze

4) Coleman

5)AD Mitchell(90% Body Catcher)

6) Leggette(slightly better DK Metcalf)

7) Worthy(Body Catcher, taller Tank Dell)

😎 Polk(Certified Rabid Dawg, ain’t no Old Yeller)

9) Ladd McConkey(Savvy)

10) Thomas Jr. 

11) Malachi Corley(Steal of the draft) 

12) Troy Franklin(Jordan Addison)

13) Johnny Wilson(Can’t chew gum and tie his shoes at the same time😂)

14) Rice(Isaiah Pacheco as a WR)

15) Walker(Quick and fast, catch the ball better)

16) Horton(Moving up)

17) Trey Harrison(Moving up)

18) Wilson 

19) Pearsall 

Need to watch more film: Baker, jha’Quan Jackson

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Steve Smiths WR List  

1) MHJ

2)Nabers

3)Odunze

4) Coleman

5)AD Mitchell(90% Body Catcher)

6) Leggette(slightly better DK Metcalf)

7) Worthy(Body Catcher, taller Tank Dell)

😎 Polk(Certified Rabid Dawg, ain’t no Old Yeller)

9) Ladd McConkey(Savvy)

10) Thomas Jr. 

11) Malachi Corley(Steal of the draft) 

12) Troy Franklin(Jordan Addison)

13) Johnny Wilson(Can’t chew gum and tie his shoes at the same time😂)

14) Rice(Isaiah Pacheco as a WR)

15) Walker(Quick and fast, catch the ball better)

16) Horton(Moving up)

17) Trey Harrison(Moving up)

18) Wilson 

19) Pearsall 

Need to watch more film: Baker, jha’Quan Jackson

Legette is a "slightly better DK Metcalf" but only good for 6th in the class?

A better DK is an easy 1st rounder all day.  Heck...actual DK should've been a 1st rounder.

I don't really see the comp though.  Beyond the fact that they're both absolutely rocked up gym specimens.

And what on earth does the Polk thing even mean?  😆  Like if he's that good, why is he not ahead of all these un-certified guys and body catching fools?  lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

A better DK is an easy 1st rounder all day.  Heck...actual DK should've been a 1st rounder.

I don't really see the comp though.  Beyond the fact that they're both absolutely rocked up gym specimens.

And what on earth does the Polk thing even mean?  😆  Like if he's that good, why is he not ahead of all these un-certified guys and body catching fools?  lol.

It’s a WR List, not his actual Big Board. I think it’s PFFs big board and he just goes down the list with his thoughts on prospects 

Also having that certified Dawg in you is a big part of the draft process. Once the Chiefs started drafting Dawgs they finally found some players that can stick around(Pacheco & Rice) also I thought it was hilarious lol

the Johnny Wilson descriptions were the best - “not a multi-tasker” “may be a freak, but at night, not on the football field”😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I would assume that he’s talking DK the prospect as opposed to DK the player. I was on the anti-DK bandwagon as a prospect. But either way, yeah, I don’t see the comp either.

DK was a unicorn. Ridiculous height/weight/speed guy with some injuries and a little raw. He hit the ceiling that everyone knew was there. Legette I think is more polished than DK was, and Legette was THE guy on SC. I think AJ Brown is a better comp for Legette, but still not a great comp.

I don’t like comps, but the closest prospect comp I see for Legette is Treylon Burks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah, I wasn't as high on Evans in his draft because of those reasons. Big track record of big jump ball receivers fizzling out but he developed and obviously turned out to be great. Hindsight bias is strong with the draft and people often misremember how players actually were based on how they worked out in the league.

I think Odunze is getting nitpicked a bit because he's compared to MHJ on one side, and Nabers on the other and not sticking out as easily.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

It’s a WR List, not his actual Big Board. I think it’s PFFs big board and he just goes down the list with his thoughts on prospects 

Also having that certified Dawg in you is a big part of the draft process. Once the Chiefs started drafting Dawgs they finally found some players that can stick around(Pacheco & Rice) also I thought it was hilarious lol

the Johnny Wilson descriptions were the best - “not a multi-tasker” “may be a freak, but at night, not on the football field”😂

That makes a lot more sense at least.  Kind of a weird way to do things, but that explains why so many guys he likes are "behind" so many that he clearly doesn't.  lol.

And yes, absolutely this is a big part of trying to feel out a prospect.  It's the part that's next to impossible for us sideline draft nerds.  But that compete level and intensity is a huge part of the equation in a successful player...and by extension, in a successful team when your "key guys" have that mentality that just drags everyone along with them and make things happen.

It's my real big criticism of Nabers.  Where i just don't see it with him.  He's super gifted, but he seems to like it "easy".  Feasts on the stuff that comes without much push back.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I would assume that he’s talking DK the prospect as opposed to DK the player. I was on the anti-DK bandwagon as a prospect. But either way, yeah, I don’t see the comp either.

DK was a unicorn. Ridiculous height/weight/speed guy with some injuries and a little raw. He hit the ceiling that everyone knew was there. Legette I think is more polished than DK was, and Legette was THE guy on SC. I think AJ Brown is a better comp for Legette, but still not a great comp.

I don’t like comps, but the closest prospect comp I see for Legette is Treylon Burks.

Even as a prospect though, DK was an obvious freak.  People got stupidly wrapped up in a bad time in one little drill in gym shorts.  The tape always showed a guy who was an absolute monster at what he does.  Not an ultra versatile "do it all" WR but the sort who can do the specific things that make a guy invaluable.

I'm not sure i have that much faith in Legette.  I think he's actually a more well-rounded, versatile prospect than DK was.  But i don't know that he's quite as "freaky" an athlete or as to the above comment, has as much of that "dawg" in him.

I'm still really high on Legette...but not as high as i was on DK who just seemed like negligence to me, how far he ended up sliding because he tripped over a cone at a drill one time or whatever.

2 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Yeah, I wasn't as high on Evans in his draft because of those reasons. Big track record of big jump ball receivers fizzling out but he developed and obviously turned out to be great. Hindsight bias is strong with the draft and people often misremember how players actually were based on how they worked out in the league.

I think Odunze is getting nitpicked a bit because he's compared to MHJ on one side, and Nabers on the other and not sticking out as easily.

Yeah.  It definitely feels like some revisionist history going on, to suggest Evans was a real polished receiver coming out.  He was super raw and one-note as a prospect.  How quickly and how well he took to all sorts of other things at the NFL level was huge, but not necessarily a slam dunk projection.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Why are some listed without comment? Was this posted somewhere?