2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

1 minute ago, MaddHatter said:

Brian Thomas JR vs. Keon Coleman - what’s the pros/coms to each?

Thomas has better long speed. Coleman is more physical and knows how to work the short game much better. Thomas doesn’t play to his size whereas Coleman does. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yep. If you’re track fast, simply back iff as a CB. The guys who win deep down the field force corners to move up and get hands on because they can snap routes in the short/intermediate range. It’s how dudes with bleh speed end up open down the field so often. You gotta be able to do something else other than run fast in a straight line to force the defender to play you differently.

I think Xavier Worthy is that guy. He has questionable hands, but he can run a full route tree. 

Yeah he's a good route runner, for sure. I think the play strength criticism with him is legitimate, but at least he has strings to his bow. 

54 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah he's a good route runner, for sure. I think the play strength criticism with him is legitimate, but at least he has strings to his bow. 

Sure. I love his willingness to mix it up tho. Watch him block. He’s good at it somehow. He runs hard and doesn’t shy away from contact. He isn’t a gadget player like Schwartz or some of these other guys (Calvin Austin, etc…) are. He’s a real outside WR in my opinion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Sure. I love his willingness to mix it up tho. Watch him block. He’s good at it somehow. He runs hard and doesn’t shy away from contact. He isn’t a gadget player like Schwartz or some of these other guys (Calvin Austin, etc…) are. He’s a real outside WR in my opinion.

Considering it was reported that the Chiefs were trying to trade up for Zay Flowers last year, I could see them being interested in Worthy as a prospect that could be a dynamic playmaker both horizontally and vertically.

The good thing is, as mentioned, he is coming into the NFL with a solid foundation as a route runner and isn't an absolute zero as a blocker and shows effort. Our current WR coach hasn't really shown an ability to develop any young talent even to the point where for some, development has seemingly completely stalled out. Not everything can be blamed on the position coach but when players don't even know how to line up or how to run the routes within a play, you have to give a hard look at the position coach.

16 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Thomas has better long speed. Coleman is more physical and knows how to work the short game much better. Thomas doesn’t play to his size whereas Coleman does. 

I wouldn't say this, Thomas wasn't asked to run many crossing routes because that was Nabers domain. Thomas was effective when he did run a few crossing routes.

Coleman is testing really poorly. Knew he wasn't a burner but 4.62 is pretty miserable. Doesn't look like he's tested particularly well in any facet except size. I doubt he's hurt but he had better show teams something more than he has at the combine so far.

Edited by nagahide13

43 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Coleman is testing really poorly. Knew he wasn't a burner but 4.62 is pretty miserable. Doesn't look like he's tested particularly well in any facet except size. I doubt he's hurt but he had better show teams something more than he has at the combine so far.