2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

I like the comp of AJ Brown myself.  Brown played bully ball like Odunze did, and both were big bodied, athletic receivers.  Brown got better separation from college CBs, and was shorter, heavier, and ever so slightly slower.  At least from my memory of Brown.  And a taller, lighter AJ Brown is a damn good prospect.

Of course, the Titans might be the team drafting Odunze, so maybe I just want him to look like the receiver who we foolishly let go.

That's where I am too.  Until Nabers shows up at like, less than 180 lbs, I still have Odunze as WR3.  He's a fantastic prospect, but the class is stacked at the top.  There's a great QB prospect, a blue chip, maybe generational OT, and two receivers in front of him at minimum.  Then there's a couple more tackles at his level, a generational TE (if you're discouting positional value), and a couple more QBs if you're not.

I mean...a bigger AJ Brown is...well, that's elite.  I'd take three of those please.

As for Nabers...i don't know why people are getting so hung up changing their opinions on him based on dodging the combine weigh in.  He's a Calvin Ridley.  He's gonna run wide open when he's open.  He's gonna get mauled when he's not.  Very little in between.  Adding 10 lbs by the combine ain't gonna change squat.  He is what he is as a player.  He doesn't play strong, he doesn't play physical, he's a butter soft "finesse" receiver with a ton of natural speed and talent.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Regarding Sutton and Pittman--I think they're probably tier-3 receivers behind tier-2 guys like Evans and Allen and tier-1 guys like Jefferson and Chase. I think Odunze's best outcome is a high-volume big slot like Michael Thomas, but that type of production is subject to the right situation.

In my mind, Odunze is at least behind the top 3 quarterbacks, top 3 tackles (including Fuaga), and the top 2 receivers. He's in the mix with Arnold, Turner, Bowers, and maybe JPJ for me in the next group. This is also a deep receiver draft.

I still really don't understand what you're seeing with Odunze.  Or Sutton and Pittman for that matter i guess.

But even what you're saying...puts Odunze in the Top-8 prospects, potentially.  🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Rank these 5:

Adonai Mitchell
Brian Thomas Jr
Keon Coleman
Ladd McConkey
Xavier Worthy

Don't give me any "Depends what you already have" BS. Pretend you have nothing and you just need a good WR, period. What order would you take them in?

Hmmm...i'm still working on this very question...or actually a slightly different version of it...but similar...

But off the cuff at the moment, i'll say:

Thomas Jr.

Coleman.

Mitchell.

McConkey.

Fast Guy.

• Like 2

Just now, Tugboat said:

As for Nabers...i don't know why people are getting so hung up changing their opinions on him based on dodging the combine weigh in.  He's a Calvin Ridley.  He's gonna run wide open when he's open.  He's gonna get mauled when he's not.  Very little in between.  Adding 10 lbs by the combine ain't gonna change squat.  He is what he is as a player.  He doesn't play strong, he doesn't play physical, he's a butter soft "finesse" receiver with a ton of natural speed and talent.

Well, there's small, and there's small.  I know Nabers isn't a big receiver, but any receiver that's under like 180 lbs is a red flag.  It doesn't mean he drops out of the top ten, but right now, the reason I have Odunze under him is separation.  It's Odunze's only red flag.  If Nabers also has one red flag (and depending on his weight, it may be lesser or greater than Odunze's), then it may put him beneath Odunze.

When we're talking like the top 10 players in the draft, just a little tick can move the needle enough to drop them.

And remember, we're talking AJ Brown the prospect, not AJ Brown the pro.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well, there's small, and there's small.  I know Nabers isn't a big receiver, but any receiver that's under like 180 lbs is a red flag.  It doesn't mean he drops out of the top ten, but right now, the reason I have Odunze under him is separation.  It's Odunze's only red flag.  If Nabers also has one red flag (and depending on his weight, it may be lesser or greater than Odunze's), then it may put him beneath Odunze.

When we're talking like the top 10 players in the draft, just a little tick can move the needle enough to drop them.

And remember, we're talking AJ Brown the prospect, not AJ Brown the pro.

I feel like saying "AJ Brown the Prospect" means a lot less to me, since i was pretty bullish on him in the first place (along with DK).  😆  So...a bigger version of AJ Brown the prospect is basically as good as it gets.

I feel like...a few pounds either way would not have moved the needle whatsoever for me on Odunze.

And i don't think it really moves the needle on Nabers.  But i've already noted my concerns about his size and lack of physicality and contested catch ability and all the rest.

19 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like saying "AJ Brown the Prospect" means a lot less to me, since i was pretty bullish on him in the first place (along with DK).  😆  So...a bigger version of AJ Brown the prospect is basically as good as it gets.

I feel like...a few pounds either way would not have moved the needle whatsoever for me on Odunze.

And i don't think it really moves the needle on Nabers.  But i've already noted my concerns about his size and lack of physicality and contested catch ability and all the rest.

Well Nabers is listed at 200, so if he weighs in at sub 180 that's more than a few pounds.

I was very bullish on AJ as well.  I had him as WR1 that year and was hoping the Titans would take him at 19.  Didn't think there was any chance he would be there at 51.  That was also the year that the draft was in Nashville, and I was there for it.  Him getting drafted will probably be my favorite draft memory ever for a very, very long time.  My team drafting my guy while I'm there for the actual event itself will be tough to beat.

It would have been better if anyone I was with knew anything about football, but it was my wife and a bunch of her friends from school, so I just came off as an overly excited weirdo.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well Nabers is listed at 200, so if he weighs in at sub 180 that's more than a few pounds.

I was very bullish on AJ as well.  I had him as WR1 that year and was hoping the Titans would take him at 19.  Didn't think there was any chance he would be there at 51.  That was also the year that the draft was in Nashville, and I was there for it.  Him getting drafted will probably be my favorite draft memory ever for a very, very long time.  My team drafting my guy while I'm there for the actual event itself will be tough to beat.

It would have been better if anyone I was with knew anything about football, but it was my wife and a bunch of her friends from school, so I just came off as an overly excited weirdo.

😆  Stupid weirdo.  Actually knowing things about the event and stuff.  😆

But yeah, i can't even imagine.  For one, because the draft will never ever be held in Jacksonville.  The closest thing is probably London.  But also i imagine it's still probably somewhat comparable to Jags drafting Lawrence.  Even though that was...supremely obvious.  It still felt sooooooooooo good.

Anyway.  To me...Nabers is a soft little guy...whether he weighs 170lbs/180lbs/200lbs.  Nothing i saw on tape is going to convince me that he's a different player.  He's got his skillset...and ultimately it's a skillset that's mostly predicated on running past and around guys.  If he needs that extra 10lbs?  Well...he's already lost the rep.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

As for Nabers...  He's a Calvin Ridley.  He's gonna run wide open when he's open.  He's gonna get mauled when he's not.  Very little in between.  Adding 10 lbs by the combine ain't gonna change squat.  He is what he is as a player.  He doesn't play strong, he doesn't play physical, he's a butter soft "finesse" receiver with a ton of natural speed and talent.

I don't know how you can watch Nabers and say he's a butter soft finesse receiver. If anything Marvin Harrison Jr is much more finesse than Nabers (not that he's soft either). 

11 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Rank these 5:

Adonai Mitchell
Brian Thomas Jr
Keon Coleman
Ladd McConkey
Xavier Worthy

Worthy is getting slept on. The guy is way more than just pure speed. Give him a creative OC and his ceiling is higher than any other of those 4 players. His floor probably is not as high as McConkey's or AD but people think that because he's 165 at the combine Worthy isn't going to do nothing in the NFL... Haven't they seen Devonta Smith and Tank Dell the last few years? The game is changing small receivers can thrive in the right system. 
1- BTjr 
2-Worthy 
3-McConkey
4-AD
5-Coleman

I can see the top 4 getting drafted in the 1st and Coleman early in the 2nd round.

Edited by MagicMT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

I don't know how you can watch Nabers and say he's a butter soft finesse receiver. If anything Marvin Harrison Jr is much more finesse than Nabers (not that he's soft either). 

Worthy is getting slept on. The guy is way more than just pure speed. Give him a creative OC and his ceiling is higher than any other of those 4 players. His floor probably is not as high as McConkey's or AD but people think that because he's 165 at the combine Worthy isn't going to do nothing in the NFL... Haven't they seen Devonta Smith and Tank Dell the last few years? The game is changing small receivers can thrive in the right system. 
1- BTjr 
2-Worthy 
3-McConkey
4-AD
5-Coleman

I can see the top 4 getting drafted in the 1st and Coleman early in the 2nd round.

I like your order 👌.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Thomas Jr.

Coleman.

Mitchell.

McConkey.

Fast Guy.

This, except swapping Mitchell and Coleman, still close though. 

MHJ
Nabers
Odunze
BTJ
AD Mitchell
Keon Coleman

are the 6 that I'd consider in the first.

• Like 1

Among the 2024 receivers projected to go in the first two or three rounds, who do you think is most likely to bust?  

Not sure I'm a big fan of Xavier Legette, and despite his blazing 40 time, Worthy looked a lot skinnier than I thought he was.  I've never been a fan of the rail thin receivers even if they are crazy fast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prob2236 said:

Among the 2024 receivers projected to go in the first two or three rounds, who do you think is most likely to bust?  

Not sure I'm a big fan of Xavier Legette, and despite his blazing 40 time, Worthy looked a lot skinnier than I thought he was.  I've never been a fan of the rail thin receivers even if they are crazy fast.

Legette has big bust potential.  And yeah, Worthy is the other one that comes to mind.

Franklin is up there too, but I think his game is versatile enough that he'll be fine.  But he is raw.

I think Devontez Walker and Malachai Corley would be my top two choices, if they're drafted that high.  Do not like either of them.  I'd put Kevin Wilson there too, but I don't think he'll actually get drafted before the absolute end of round 3.

• Like 1