2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

😐

Some have had Nabers over MHJr the entire time. I think Bleacher Report has been saying that for months now. It tracks that now it is entering the more mainstream draft audience.

What a moment it would be if we got something like Caleb Williams 1, Drake Maye 2, and Malik Nabers 3.

• Like 1

With Harrison vs Nabers it feels like comparing a guy like Calvin Johnson to players like Garrett Wilson, Devonta Smith, or Jaylen Waddle. Those guys were all very good WR prospects and currently good NFL WR’s, but they aren’t Calvin Johnson as a prospect or player.

Harrison is that type of rare generational WR prospect that checks just about every box for a WR prospect while being an athletic freak. 

• Like 1

Just watched all 2023 videos I could find for the majority of WR prospects and here are my rankings with some observations. Also, this is definitely the best WR class I've seen since watching prospects. 

1) Malik Nabers - I usually defer to NFL bloodlines if some prospects are close when evaluating them but this time I just can't bring myself to do it, Malik Nabers is WR1 in this class. He could stand to improve on contested catches situation (not that he's bad at it) but otherwise he is the perfect WR. Quick, shifty, great route-runner, hard to bring down and he got that dawg in him. I think he is in the conversation for top 5 in the league by 2025-6. I might be drinking too much Nabers kool-aid oh well!
Imperfect mandatory player comp = Antonio Brown without the craziness 

2) MHJ - The biggest can't-miss WR since Calvin Johnson. His only weakness is that he's not much of a YAC threat and isn't breaking many tackles. That's okay, he's still going to be a top 10 WR pretty quickly and already comes in with an incredibly high floor. Has every tool possible. We also know he can produce with a bad QB as he was awesome last year with Kyle McCord who's not really good. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp = AJ Green with a HOF dad who already taught him all the tricks

3) Rome Odunze - Clear WR3 and in the same tier as the other two. Yeah contested catches do not typically translate, but Odunze has that rare combination of elite catch radius, elite ball tracking, elite body-positioning/control and good-great hands AND late hands, which makes it difficult for DBs to defend even if the coverage is great. Plus he doesn't just win with contested catches, he's a complete receiver. A+ size, okay-good at YAC, good routes (though he could improve on his footwork), good and willing blocker. Plus the work ethic he showed at the combine being the last player to leave the field = top notch.
Imperfect mandatory player comp = Devante Adams without the jaw-dropping route release 

4) Xavier Worthy - He just might be the fastest guy in the NFL next year. But he's way more than just a speed guy. He might be thin but Worthy make the 1st man miss more often than not on first contact. He utilize his speed really well as a huge after the catch WR and is a big play waiting to happen. Defenses will have to respect his speed at all time and that's a plus value by itself. He's running good routes and track the ball well. He drops a lot of passes and is not good at catching through contact. But if he's well utilized Worthy could be an absolute star, I think he's way underrated. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: Zay Flowers if he dropped 15 pounds and consequently wasn't as strong but became the fastest guy on the field. 

5) AD Mitchell - Silky smooth WR who seems to do everything well. Quick feet, great hands and catching technique, good deep threat and at tracking the ball + great at double moves. Not the best contested catch guy, take plays off and sometimes you just know he's not getting the ball the way he's going at a play. WIth all that talent it's hard to understand why he didn't perform better in college but he just looks like one of those guys who will be better pro than NCAA player. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: Ceedee Lamb without the breaking tackles and that dawg energy

6) Ladd McConkey - Surprisingly athletic and one if not the best route-runner in the class. Wow that guy is crisp and precise! Will play inside-outside and I have no doubt this guy will be a fit in any system. He's lacking the physical gifts to truly be great (undersized, small hands, low play strength) and his injuries are probably going to be a concern but he'll be a target magnet when healthy.
Imperfect mandatory player comp: Diontae Johson with more juice and intensity 

7) Brian Thomas Jr - He is definitely a terrific athlete and a great deep threat. He just glides past people and has that deceptive speed. He has an insane wingspan and a good catch radius. TD machine who is great after the catch with his ability to outrun pursuit angles. Will need to refine his route running and expand his route tree + his lack of production before this year is concerning and he is the most likely WR to bust selected within the first 5 WR taken in the draft IMO. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: Martavis Bryant without the off-field concerns 

😎 Troy Franklin - Underrated WR who is a big play machine. Despite his real small frame Franklin is really good after the catch, creates separation and wins deep with his long speed. Runs sharp route and just look so fluid out there on the field. However he didn't look that good at the combine drills compared to many other WRs and is definitely not the guy you want to throw 50/50 balls to. Tendency to disappear from times to times. Not sure about his football IQ. Another solid #2 option. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: a better Robbie/Chosen (lol) Anderson 

9) Keon Coleman - Big powerful WR with a knack for the incredible catch. Really strong and sure hands + unreal leaping ability that is evident on tape. Good after the catch and uses his big frame really well. However he's not good at getting constant or quick separation and he has to get better at route running. I like Coleman but he lacks the upside of several other WRs in this draft. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: lovechild of George Pickens and Mike Williams (good and bad)

10) Roman Wilson - The fact that Wilson is my WR10 highlights how special this class is. Small but compact WR who excels at route-running with his quick feet and short area quickness. Great hands and good separator off the line. WIll probably never be a high-volume guy and not good on contested catches, plus not much ability as a runner after the catch. He gets open tho!
Imperfect mandatory player comp: Tyler Lockett without the YAC greatness

11) Xavier Legette - Started to play WR full-time as a freshman (was a QB in high-school) and that might explain why he only broke out as 5th year senior, but it's still a bit concerning. Legette is a real strong WR with very good contested catch ability, is great after the catch and just an explosive player. Has to get better and more diversified as a route-runner and has to improve his release and footwork in general + his run blocking. But man this guy has to much upside. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: poor man's DK Metcalf with AJ Brown lite YAC ability. 

12) Jalen McMillan - Versatile WR that manipulates DBs well with his mix of good speed, his stop/start ability and spatial awareness. Has great body control who seems a natural hand catcher. Plus he is a good and willing blocker. Average play strength, some drops you see on tape, mostly going down on first contact and not ideal for contested catches. I'm still a bit higher on him than consensus. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: Tyler Boyd 

13) Malachi Corley - Not the most traditional WR out there but there's a good role in the league waiting for the YAC king. Incredibly strong with the ball in his hand, creative, elusive and with a crazy good contact balance that allows him to make the first guy miss almost all the time. What a joy to watch. However, he is a terrible route runner. He lacks footwork and hand usage + he has poor spatial awareness when running a route. Limited route tree. Will have to manufacture touches for him. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp:
Deebo lite without the route-running

14) Ricky Pearsall - Great route runner with great ball skills and good long speed. Lack explosiveness off the snap and has below-average play strength. Struggle with phyisical corners. Will be 24 as a rookie. Great combine but it doesn't translate on film. Early day 3 option. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: real poor man's Keenan Allen 

15) Ja'Lynn Polk -  Feels like Polk is a "silver at all trades, gold at none" type WR that is just a solid overall player but lacking the speed or physical gifts to be anything more than a solid #2-3 option (which is still valuable by itself). I might be lower than most of him and see him more as a day 3 kind of pick. 
Imperfect mandatory player comp: Mohamed Sanu 

Other WRs I like but not in my top 15 = 
Jacob Cowing  / Tez Walker / Jerami Trash  / Jermaine Burton / Malik Washington / Jordan Whittington

Edited by MagicMT
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

😐

Really wouldn't surprise me.  I don't agree, but there are plenty of people here even, who have been saying this for a while.  And honestly...it's not hard to see why.  He's got spades of that sort of "elite highlight reel" potential or whatever.  Different teams and schemes also look for and prioritize different things in a receiver.

For some reason, i can't seem to shake this impression that Nabers just feels so much more like a current Cardinals receiver than MHJ who everyone has pretty much default picked in every mock there.  Who knows how it all actually plays out, but i wouldn't be surprised at all to hear there are some teams that have Nabers as WR1.  Or that other teams have him WR3 behind Odunze.  There are just three terrific huge upside WRs at the top of this draft.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 12:35 PM, tyler735 said:

With Harrison vs Nabers it feels like comparing a guy like Calvin Johnson to players like Garrett Wilson, Devonta Smith, or Jaylen Waddle. Those guys were all very good WR prospects and currently good NFL WR’s, but they aren’t Calvin Johnson as a prospect or player.

Harrison is that type of rare generational WR prospect that checks just about every box for a WR prospect while being an athletic freak. 

I feel like Ive heard Nabers is that athletic freak like Megatron more than I’ve heard that about MHJ 

21 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I feel like Ive heard Nabers is that athletic freak like Megatron more than I’ve heard that about MHJ 

No…That’s not accurate. Nabers wasn’t even LSU’s most freakish athlete at WR this year.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

I’m just telling you what I’ve heard. And it’s a big reason people are ranking Nabers over MHJ

It’s not. Nabers wasn’t even the most freakish athletic WR on LSU let alone a more freakish athlete than Harrison. If Nabers went before Harrison (he won’t) it would be because of his route running and after catch ability. Not his freakish athleticism.