2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

It’s not. Nabers wasn’t even the most freakish athletic WR on LSU let alone a more freakish athlete than Harrison. If Nabers went before Harrison (he won’t) it would be because of his route running and after catch ability. Not his freakish athleticism.

Nabers is more explosive than MHJR for sure. Especially after the catch. MHJR isn’t even an amazing athlete. He’s a good one that is gonna be an amazing pro because of the other things. I think he has average #1 WR speed and agility. But amazing routes, pacing, hands, body control, etc…

MHJR goes ahead of Nabers for sure, but Nabers is definitively more explosive and dynamic IMO. He isn’t Tyreek fast, but he’s more Tyreek than anybody else in the class. Worthy has the freak speed, but isn’t a RAC guy who can be used in the backfield or things that Reek does.

Brian Thomas is definitely not more athletic than Nabers. Watch the tape. Nabers reminds me of refined NFL Stefon Diggs. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Nabers is more explosive than MHJR for sure. Especially after the catch. MHJR isn’t even an amazing athlete. He’s a good one that is gonna be an amazing pro because of the other things. I think he has average #1 WR speed and agility. But amazing routes, pacing, hands, body control, etc…

That’s not accurate. Harrison reportedly is capable of running in the high 4.3 range and even if you don’t believe that, his GPS times also show he has excellent speed. 

MHJR goes ahead of Nabers for sure, but Nabers is definitively more explosive and dynamic IMO. He isn’t Tyreek fast, but he’s more Tyreek than anybody else in the class. Worthy has the freak speed, but isn’t a RAC guy who can be used in the backfield or things that Reek does.

Nabers has great quickness. Average at best size and good not great speed. He undoubtedly is a better yac WR than Harrison, but not a more freakish athlete.

Brian Thomas is definitely not more athletic than Nabers. Watch the tape. Nabers reminds me of refined NFL Stefon Diggs. 

Brian Thomas is a more freakish athlete. Nabers is much shiftier, better route runner, and a better WR. You basically did all the work for me here to prove my argument. Very few people look at Diggs and think he’s a “freakish athlete” neither is Nabers. He is however a great WR prospect.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

MHJ is interesting to me in that...all the measurables say he's an absolute "prototype" WR.  But he somehow doesn't seem quite as big, as fast, or as explosive as the numbers say.  Yet he's also just undeniably on track to be a superstar #1WR.  I think how smooth and polished he is can kind of hide his athleticism at times.  Where he has that innate feel for exactly how much throttle to use at all times.  And just wins.  Always.  He knows exactly where to go 100% and when he can win better with just 75% and baiting that DB.

Nabers has this interesting "explosive" quality where if you can get him the ball with a bit of space...he's gonna take it to the house.  It's not like Tyreek at all though.  It's a different skillset.

I'd say that in broad terms, Brian Thomas is definitely the more "freaky" athlete than Nabers.  Purely as an athlete.  The dude has a few inches, a bunch of extra wingspan, 10-20lbs on Nabers and still runs a faster 40 time.  That's a more athletic profile.  Period.

Not a better WR.  But as an athlete, i really don't understand the argument for Nabers.  But then...we're not drafting athletes here, we're drafting football players.  Where Nabers is still better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

MHJ is interesting to me in that...all the measurables say he's an absolute "prototype" WR.  But he somehow doesn't seem quite as big, as fast, or as explosive as the numbers say.  Yet he's also just undeniably on track to be a superstar #1WR.  I think how smooth and polished he is can kind of hide his athleticism at times.  Where he has that innate feel for exactly how much throttle to use at all times.  And just wins.  Always.  He knows exactly where to go 100% and when he can win better with just 75% and baiting that DB.

Nabers has this interesting "explosive" quality where if you can get him the ball with a bit of space...he's gonna take it to the house.  It's not like Tyreek at all though.  It's a different skillset.

I'd say that in broad terms, Brian Thomas is definitely the more "freaky" athlete than Nabers.  Purely as an athlete.  The dude has a few inches, a bunch of extra wingspan, 10-20lbs on Nabers and still runs a faster 40 time.  That's a more athletic profile.  Period.

Not a better WR.  But as an athlete, i really don't understand the argument for Nabers.  But then...we're not drafting athletes here, we're drafting football players.  Where Nabers is still better.

True, but 5 yrs from now Thomas has a chance to be the better WR.

I don’t see it with MHJ as far as freak athlete. He strikes me, on tape, as a 4.45 max guy. Nabers looks, on tape, like a 4.35 guy. Again, never am I taking Nabers ahead of MHJ. But MHJ is good because of his refined skills, not his ht/wt/spd profile. MHJ to me is like a bigger Deandre Hopkins.

Maybe it’s just me, but using Madden speeds to score prospects, I’m giving MHJ a 90-91 and Nabers a 93-94.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

True, but 5 yrs from now Thomas has a chance to be the better WR.

Entirely possible.  It's where i'm honestly just not that enamored with Nabers.  He's good, but he's not just this slam dunk either.  Thomas has a lot of soft spots in his profile as a prospect, but athletically...he's got no roof.  He's got every tool.  And he's also a really good, natural, football player on top of it.

For me...it's MHJ, Odunze...then Nabers at the top.

7 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don’t see it with MHJ as far as freak athlete. He strikes me, on tape, as a 4.45 max guy. Nabers looks, on tape, like a 4.35 guy. Again, never am I taking Nabers ahead of MHJ. But MHJ is good because of his refined skills, not his ht/wt/spd profile. MHJ to me is like a bigger Deandre Hopkins.

Maybe it’s just me, but using Madden speeds to score prospects, I’m giving MHJ a 90-91 and Nabers a 93-94.

It's weird because yeah...MHJ doesn't look like a freak athlete on tape at all to me.  He's just..."easy dominant".  I think that's probably a bit misleading in that he doesn't look freaky because half the time, he doesn't even need to.  Still just dominates.

But i can definitely see where people are looking at Nabers and seeing some wild homerun plays and maybe MHJ is just "boring" because he's been at the top the whole time so it's more fun to try to argue something else.  But nah...MHJ is just clearly the better prospect here.  Probably the best prospect in the entire draft.  As blue chip as it comes.

• Like 3

I want no part of Legette. Not all that impressive looking to me and just one year of production against almost all bad competition. When SC played any quality teams XL didnt do much. am I missing something? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

It's weird because yeah...MHJ doesn't look like a freak athlete on tape at all to me.  He's just..."easy dominant".  I think that's probably a bit misleading in that he doesn't look freaky because half the time, he doesn't even need to.  Still just dominates.

But i can definitely see where people are looking at Nabers and seeing some wild homerun plays and maybe MHJ is just "boring" because he's been at the top the whole time so it's more fun to try to argue something else.  But nah...MHJ is just clearly the better prospect here.  Probably the best prospect in the entire draft.  As blue chip as it comes.

Exactly my thoughts. I think people jump to defend MHJ when I said he’s not a freaky athlete as if it’s precluding him from being a future HOF talent. 

Not defending Harrison for that reason at all. I defended him because data and film exists showing him being a freak athlete regardless of some people thinking he isn’t lol. This honestly ranks as one of the more absurd arguments I’ve seen on this website in the past 15+ years. Harrison while being a freak athlete also happens to be an elite WR to go along with his athleticism. It’s not an either or situation. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, adamq said:

I want no part of Legette. Not all that impressive looking to me and just one year of production against almost all bad competition. When SC played any quality teams XL didnt do much. am I missing something? 

Yeah I don't want any part of him either. More than willing to accept I might be wrong about him, but I don't want to be the team to find out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, adamq said:

He is one that will need at least 3/4 of a season if not a full season to learn his craft.  I think he can be good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adamq said:

What's not to like with Legette though?

He's kinda weird, but he's fast and explosive athletically, he's a beast on contested catches.  He's got strong hands.  He's honestly got a little Deebo to him imo.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

He is one that will need at least 3/4 of a season if not a full season to learn his craft.  I think he can be good.

It's definitely up to him. He needs to learn how to be a WR. He can get by with manufactured touches early, but he'll have to figure out how to do the nitty gritty. Not having the craft of being a WR down is probably why it seems like he didn't do well against top tier competition. He is built like a tank, runs well after the catch, and has projectable athleticism. 

Legette was a guy I wanted the Titans to avoid prior to the Ridley signing but now I actually think he’s a perfect fit behind Ridley and DHop.  Would get to learn behind two of the better technicians when it comes to route running, provide an explosive element to our offense and wouldn’t be relied on as much as if we hadn’t signed Ridley. Plus if everything goes well, could be the DHop replacement in a year or two.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Not defending Harrison for that reason at all. I defended him because data and film exists showing him being a freak athlete

I've seen some non NFL athletes keep up with MHJ just fine on vertical routes. He rarely dusts defenders with his long speed on film. Those examples are few and far between. The thing is, when he's covered, it doesn't matter because he Mosses the dude anyways. Or snaps their ankles out from under them with his routes, which forces them to break and allows him to get up the field for a big play. He's definitely a superstar, but as a guy who is just going to run past you all day long? I don't see it and I haven't seen it. And I live in OSU country & have watched almost every single one of their games.

Olave was a significantly better pure speed player. Wilson too. If we are saying MHJ is an elite athlete, those guys must be uber athletes. Again, MHJ is better than those two guys IMO, but I sincerely doubt he's faster. I hope he does run at the pro day, because I'm very interested to see what his 40 looks like.