2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

On 3/28/2024 at 1:36 PM, CWood21 said:

I mean, go compare Brian Thomas' Combine numbers and Malik Nabers' Pro Day numbers.  The only thing Brian Thomas has on Malik Nabers is 2.5" and about 9 pounds.  But Nabers' numbers are better than Thomas all-around.  Brian Thomas is a really good WR prospect, and probably would be being talked about as a guaranteed top 15 pick if he would have played anywhere but LSU or Ohio State, but Malik Nabers was the go-to WR in Baton Rouge.  This is a very easy one.  Don't overthink this one.  Malik Nabers would be hands down WR1 in any other draft that didn't have a JaMarr Chase/MHJ/AJ Green-level of prospect.  And that's not a knock on Odunze by any means.

Justin Jefferson was #2 to Ja'Marr Chase. How'd that turn out again?

On 3/21/2024 at 9:01 PM, Daniel said:

Oh yeah, I like him but I don’t think there’s any reasonable argument that he’s better than WR8. And I don’t have him there.

Thomas, Mitchell, Coleman, and McConkey are outright better prospects no matter how you slice it.

I wouldn’t say he’s underwhelming physically at all. He posted good numbers on every test he did at the combine, and got behind CBs on his deep routes regularly.

Why are McConkey's numbers so pedestrian at Georgia? They finally have a decent QB.

Posted (edited)

Thoughts on Brian Thomas Jr. vs. Adonai Mitchell? I like both prospects for the Chiefs. I really like what Thomas Jr. brings as a deep threat although rat this point his ability to make an impact in the passing game in other ways is a bit more of a projection. His athleticism and skill set definitely seems to point to him being able to.

Mitchell seems to be much more advanced as a route runner and has shown that he has an understanding of how to set up defenders through nuances within the route.

Both seem to body catch more than attack the ball, but if I had to compare the two prospects, I would say Mitchell is more consistent catching the ball, although the argument could be made that Thomas Jr. was asked to run more deeper routes.

Am I crazy for preferring Mitchell to Thomas Jr. as WR#4 and as a better all around fit for the Chiefs?

Edit: I meant to say #4 WR (behind Harrison Jr. Nabors, and Odunze).

Edited by nicfre2011

18 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Am I crazy for preferring Mitchell to Thomas Jr. as WR#3 and as a better all around fit for the Chiefs?

No. I think the two are pretty close as prospects.

26 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on Brian Thomas Jr. vs. Adonai Mitchell? I like both prospects for the Chiefs. I really like what Thomas Jr. brings as a deep threat although rat this point his ability to make an impact in the passing game in other ways is a bit more of a projection. His athleticism and skill set definitely seems to point to him being able to.

Mitchell seems to be much more advanced as a route runner and has shown that he has an understanding of how to set up defenders through nuances within the route.

Both seem to body catch more than attack the ball, but if I had to compare the two prospects, I would say Mitchell is more consistent catching the ball, although the argument could be made that Thomas Jr. was asked to run more deeper routes.

Am I crazy for preferring Mitchell to Thomas Jr. as WR#3 and as a better all around fit for the Chiefs?

I prefer Mitchell. He is far more nuanced in his route running and both are about equal in terms of their freakish athleticism. Mitchell is so smooth in his movements, I just don’t see him busting in the NFL. Brian Thomas could be good as well, but the risk is just so much higher with how raw he is as a route runner. 

58 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I don't think it's crazy to have any of Brian Thomas Jr / Mitchell / Coleman as WR4.  They're all sort of different flavors, just depends on what you really like and what you're looking for.  They're all very good prospects.  But i think they've separated themselves a bit.  Even though come draft day...the way things fall and team preferences, i wouldn't be surprised to see a handful of others getting drafted before some of them.  Especially if a team is just looking for a pure speedster or something and it's Coleman that's left.

I have some reservations about Nabers, but i can't see any of these guys as WR3 though.  MHJ / Odunze / Nabers are pretty locked in there.  I'm assuming you meant WR4 though.

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't think it's crazy to have any of Brian Thomas Jr / Mitchell / Coleman as WR4.  They're all sort of different flavors, just depends on what you really like and what you're looking for.  They're all very good prospects.  But i think they've separated themselves a bit.  Even though come draft day...the way things fall and team preferences, i wouldn't be surprised to see a handful of others getting drafted before some of them.  Especially if a team is just looking for a pure speedster or something and it's Coleman that's left.

I have some reservations about Nabers, but i can't see any of these guys as WR3 though.  MHJ / Odunze / Nabers are pretty locked in there.  I'm assuming you meant WR4 though.

Good catch, yeah I meant #4.

37 Wide receivers got drafted in 2020, this looks to be the most in the past 20+ years. My rankings have combine invite Lideatrick Griffin at wr39 and Zakhari Frankline at wr40. Who thinks we have a record breaking number go this year? 

21 hours ago, vikes635 said:

37 Wide receivers got drafted in 2020, this looks to be the most in the past 20+ years. My rankings have combine invite Lideatrick Griffin at wr39 and Zakhari Frankline at wr40. Who thinks we have a record breaking number go this year? 

I don't think so.  It's a crazy deep class, but it's more just in the fact that it's got an elite top-end with 3 absolute studs, then tons of meat on the bone when it comes to those Late-1st to Day2 types with impact upside.

I think if anything, the depth at the upper end might hurt the overall number as we get into the late rounds and everyone's already grabbed a WR they like better.  So some of these guys that might otherwise get drafted late, could end up UDFA.

I'd set the mark at ~30 WRs drafted.  And i probably still even take the under.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

One thing Daniel Jeremiah brought up on his podcast is how many teams might covet big slots who can block. Coaches really admired how much impact a Jauan Jennings type player can have in the run and screen game.

That's one thing McVay changed in a very positive way with the Rams. If you want to play at WR for the Rams you have to run block or good luck getting off the bench if you even make the team. And it's a beautiful thing to watch compared to Rams teams in the past. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

That's one thing McVay changed in a very positive way with the Rams. If you want to play at WR for the Rams you have to run block or good luck getting off the bench if you even make the team. And it's a beautiful thing to watch compared to Rams teams in the past. 

And even better if you’re big enough to clamp a defensive end or linebacker long enough to buy the play some extra time. That’s why I’m watching who drafts Keon Coleman closely. Whatever you think of his shortcomings as a receiver, he’s huge and gets after it as a blocker.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

This was something i kind of noticed with Tez Walker.  He's super spindly in his build and he's extremely raw as a receiver in general.  He runs like 3 routes.

But he's got a noticeable sort of eagerness to him as a blocker.  He's not even amazing at it, because he's really not very strong.  But the dude does seem to embrace it as part of his role.

He's gonna go to a team like Niners/Rams/Chiefs and turn into this crazy deep ball star who blocks alright and eventually develops into an all around star.  Because that's how this usually works.

• Like 2