2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

Patrick Peterson didn’t turn into an elite corner until he got his diabetes under control. Year three IIRC. 

Bob McGinn is an OG in the scouting community, if he’s talking about it, it may actually be a real concern. Diabetes is no joke, and can cause behavioral/physical symptoms from the blood sugar fluctuations. 

Sounds like a future Steeler to me lol

On 4/16/2024 at 6:46 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

Thomas' catch rate is pretty meh and according to thier metrics and he had one of the highest 'catchable pass' rates of any receiver in the country. Thats why they made the MVS comp in the first place. Mind you, I still think Thomas is a good prospect, just in the mid first round, blue chip area of the draft. Once we get to the "second round prospects" tier after picks 20-25, then I'm fine wiht him.

So every target from this season is on YouTube. I can kinda see the MvS comps. Same route running ability, like no YaC skills at all, deep speed, burner, big/tall, body catcher. Even have the same number and LSU away uniforms look like Packer aways from a distance. But BTJ can actually track a football with consistency, hardly drops it, doesn’t fight the ball in the air, and when he needs to he can pluck it. 

Like I said, MvS would actually be a great player if he knew how to catch the football, or could track it. But he’s not trustworthy at all, so QBs ignore him even when he’s open and waving his hands

• Like 1

People here have some rough takes on Xavier Worthy. He’s actually good and does little things that other pure speed guys don’t/didn’t do. Not just a vertical threat.

I think his low comp is Hollywood Brown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Armbar said:

People here have some rough takes on Xavier Worthy. He’s actually good and does little things that other pure speed guys don’t/didn’t do. Not just a vertical threat.

I'm curious to know what your high comp is for him.  I think his ceiling IS Hollywood Brown/Tank Dell.  In that mode. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Bob McGinn is an OG in the scouting community, if he’s talking about it, it may actually be a real concern. Diabetes is no joke, and can cause behavioral/physical symptoms from the blood sugar fluctuations. 

Sounds like a future Steeler to me lol

11 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Patrick Peterson didn’t turn into an elite corner until he got his diabetes under control. Year three IIRC. 

Yeah, I've seen many t1 prospects struggle in the pros and that is with great compliance. I've really soured on Mitchell thoughout the process. Too many red flags for me. Would surprise me at all to see him tumble in this class and someone get a 'steal' later on (and yes, he screams Steelers unless even Tomlin is done with that life).

2 hours ago, Armbar said:

His high end comp is Marquise Brown. His low end comp is a skinnier John Ross

Yeah, Worthy brings a lot of good.  He has some pretty good tape, and the speed and fluidity is there on tape too, he's not just a combine star.  And it was pretty clear in the early games that he was the hot read most of the time.

But there are a ton of red flags.  Drops got better as the season went on, but there were quite a few drops.  He's small.  And even though in the early games, he was supposed to be the hot hand, his underperformance kind of paved the way for Mitchell to become the hot hand, and he was way more reliable.

In a worse receiver class, maybe he's still in the first round discussion.  In this one?  No way.  There are just a lot of receivers that either bring way more to the table, or have way fewer questions.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

I'm curious to know what your high comp is for him.  I think his ceiling IS Hollywood Brown/Tank Dell.  In that mode. 

Desean Jackson would be my high comp. He's lightning fast, he can high point the ball down the field on jump balls believe it or not, and is a RAC threat. And the dude blocks, which is bizarre for a guy of his size. Not afraid of dirty work.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was watching a little bit of Tahj Washington and went in expecting to be underwhelmed considering his lack of size and his pedestrian workout numbers but I came away fairly impressed. I don't think he will be a star by any means but he seems to have quality hands, is a competent route runner, and seems to have a solid understanding of spacing and how to work through coverage. I was also pleasantly surprised by his blocking, again considering his size. He will get pushed around at times but did show an aggressiveness and tenacity in sustaining blocks. He doesn't strike me as explosive with the ball in his hands but seems smooth and shifty after the catch.

He strikes me as the type of prospect that could turn into a QBs best friend when the play breaks down by knowing when to stay on his route but knowing when to break structure to help his QB and get in a position as a backyard football target.

Is he one of those sneaky mid-round WR prospects that just understands the nuances of the position and ends up having a solid career despite a lack of measureables or high end traits?

Edited by nicfre2011

Does anyone have the rundown or a link to all of these off field concerns for Burton? Obviously there's the constant jawing at DBs or whining to the ref or batching when he doesn't get the ball... and then the thing where he assaulted fans. But how much worse could it get? 

59 minutes ago, adamq said:

Does anyone have the rundown or a link to all of these off field concerns for Burton? Obviously there's the constant jawing at DBs or whining to the ref or batching when he doesn't get the ball... and then the thing where he assaulted fans. But how much worse could it get? 

4 high schools in 4 years, I believe? 

Dane Brugler said on the athletic podcast a couple of weeks ago that he found himself at odds and in the doghouse with both the UGA and Alabama coaching staff while in college. So there's some real question about his coachability and locker room presence, which may be a big problem for nfl guys. 

And then obviously the situation with the fan that he hit. 

Shame too. I really like him as a player. Like him more than I Like guys like Troy Franklin. Without the off field concerns, he's easily a second round pick for me. I took him at the end of round 3 for the Chiefs in a recent mock draft, but if he doesn't go until like the 5th, I wouldn't be shocked at all. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Forge said:

4 high schools in 4 years, I believe? 

Dane Brugler said on the athletic podcast a couple of weeks ago that he found himself at odds and in the doghouse with both the UGA and Alabama coaching staff while in college. So there's some real question about his coachability and locker room presence, which may be a big problem for nfl guys. 

And then obviously the situation with the fan that he hit. 

Shame too. I really like him as a player. Like him more than I Like guys like Troy Franklin. Without the off field concerns, he's easily a second round pick for me. I took him at the end of round 3 for the Chiefs in a recent mock draft, but if he doesn't go until like the 5th, I wouldn't be shocked at all. 

I don’t think he’s talented enough to be a diva. He reminds me on-field of the crappier Steve Smith (NYG). Good player, but if Steve Smith were a knucklehead, he wouldn’t have really been worth keeping around.