2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

I think AJ Brown ceiling with Laquon Treadwell floor is pretty decent in terms of comps. I imagine he'll end up closer to Treadwell. I don't think you can really do 1:1 with anyone.

Again though, Legette is faster than either of those guys. Maybe that'll matter.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I think AJ Brown ceiling with Laquon Treadwell floor is pretty decent in terms of comps. I imagine he'll end up closer to Treadwell. I don't think you can really do 1:1 with anyone.

Again though, Legette is faster than either of those guys. Maybe that'll matter.

Yeah.  I don't really like any of those comps much.  He's not the sort of sluggish/slowish linear sort of downfield jump ball guy like Treadwell turned out to be.

But he's also not just a physical beast with nuanced route running like AJ Brown working all over the field either.

He's also got that weird athletic profile as "really explosive" but "not super dynamic".  Even though he tested out fast.

Just a really tricky direct comp because he's so weird.

One thing that popped into my head the other day was...does he remind anybody else a little bit of Pierre Garcon?  I think it's probably a lot just the build and something ~stylistic~ about the way they run maybe.  But that's the closest thing that's even crossed my mind.  Slightly bigger Garcon anyone?

18 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I don't really like any of those comps much.  He's not the sort of sluggish/slowish linear sort of downfield jump ball guy like Treadwell turned out to be.

But he's also not just a physical beast with nuanced route running like AJ Brown working all over the field either.

He's also got that weird athletic profile as "really explosive" but "not super dynamic".  Even though he tested out fast.

Just a really tricky direct comp because he's so weird.

One thing that popped into my head the other day was...does he remind anybody else a little bit of Pierre Garcon?  I think it's probably a lot just the build and something ~stylistic~ about the way they run maybe.  But that's the closest thing that's even crossed my mind.  Slightly bigger Garcon anyone?

I just watch him and think he is an odd hybrid of Deebo and Cordarrelle Patterson. 

Like if you caught a wild Cordarrelle and evolved it then you'd have a Legette. You hope it evolves again into a Deebo, but it won't. lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Better high end comp for Odunze: Ja’Marr Chase or Keenan Allen?

Keenan Allen, although I think his high end comp is closer to Mike Thomas. Chase is more overwhelming athletically in a more compact package and more of a true "X."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Baldinger compared him to Chase after the combine tests.  I thought it was pretty steep myself.  Lance Zierlein’s comp is Larry Fitz lol.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rome-odunze/32004f44-5542-6541-431c-1a51e8792659

A lot of people are comparing Odunze to Chase because they are both absolutely elite ball winners. Outside of that, they are different types of receivers. Fitz isn't a bad comp at all (though thats a high ceiling). Odunze tested better than Fitz did athletically and they are very similar builds (Fitz was a bit heavier/bigger hands, Odunze tested a bit better, both identical heights).

Heck look at what scouts were saying about Fitzgerald coming out of the draft: Very, very similar to what people are saying about Odunze.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:45 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

A lot of people are comparing Odunze to Chase because they are both absolutely elite ball winners. Outside of that, they are different types of receivers. Fitz isn't a bad comp at all (though thats a high ceiling). Odunze tested better than Fitz did athletically and they are very similar builds (Fitz was a bit heavier/bigger hands, Odunze tested a bit better, both identical heights).

Heck look at what scouts were saying about Fitzgerald coming out of the draft: Very, very similar to what people are saying about Odunze.

I’m not saying he’s the next Larry Fitzgerald but these highlights look very similar to Odunze.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I’m not saying he’s the next Larry Fitzgerald but these highlights look very similar to Odunze.

Neither am I but as I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think it was this one), people have a real hard time distinguishing players as prospects vs. how their careers panned out. In the case of Fitz, its easy to retroactively pretend he was a can't fail/flawless prospect. For others who busted, its equally easy to pretend it was obvious all along. Thats why I don't think the Odunze/Fitz comparison is flawed/fake/draft hype.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Neither am I but as I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think it was this one), people have a real hard time distinguishing players as prospects vs. how their careers panned out. In the case of Fitz, its easy to retroactively pretend he was a can't fail/flawless prospect. For others who busted, its equally easy to pretend it was obvious all along. Thats why I don't think the Odunze/Fitz comparison is flawed/fake/draft hype.

It’s funny you say that because I was one who thought it was blasphemous to compare Odunze to Fitzgerald. After his combine performance though, I looked up and saw the same Fitzgerald scouting report you posted and how it was similar to Odunze. That perked my interest to look up Fitzgerald college highlights and was actually taken aback by how similar it looked to Odunze.

Like you said, the NFL player Fitz was probably clouded my thoughts on the Fitz/Odunze comparison as a prospect.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 2:39 AM, 11sanchez11 said:

MHJ tries to underhand/scoop/cradle every catch. It's so weird. 

I guess I don't see it.  He's a late hands guy.  And I don't think it's in the sense that he's not seeing the ball coming, but more that he gets his hands up as late as possible to keep the defender from making a play on the ball.  IIRC, Davante Adams was really good at this during his time in Green Bay, and I believe he mentioned that the hands don't come out until the last minute so the DB doesn't know the ball is in the air.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I guess I don't see it.  He's a late hands guy.  And I don't think it's in the sense that he's not seeing the ball coming, but more that he gets his hands up as late as possible to keep the defender from making a play on the ball.  IIRC, Davante Adams was really good at this during his time in Green Bay, and I believe he mentioned that the hands don't come out until the last minute so the DB doesn't know the ball is in the air.

I feel like his dad has taught him all the tricks on how to be an Elite WR.