2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

9 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Rome is an absolute stud alpha dawg. Any team that lands him is going to be very happy with the return.

Absolute competitor… coming back from the broken ribs missing no time… the combine full workout and trying the 3 cone 6 times to try and get a higher number. Sign me up all day.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Honest question - what makes MHJR a better WR prospect than Rome?  

Separation.

I love Odunze, and would be very happy for him on the Titans, but one glaring flaw in his game is that he doesn't get a lot of separation from DBs, which is one reason he has so many 50/50 balls.

He also doesn't have that second gear speed.  I thought it was strange people were talking like he was gonna run in the 4.3s at the combine, because he's absolutely not that fast on tape.

It's also why I have Nabers over him.  Nabers gets separation all day and has that second gear.  But him not measuring in at the combine makes me worry he'll be too light.  Nabers measures in below 180, I'm probably putting Odunze over him too.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I like Odunze as the WR3, but I wouldn't bet that he ends up as the WR3 in this draft. Top 5 would be a high price for me and maybe top 10, too. He feels more like a top-15 player in this class. My college-season comp was Courtland Sutton or Michael Pittman (depending on how he is used), and I still see that.

You say that like those comps aren't absolute studs.  😆

On 3/3/2024 at 7:26 PM, Tugboat said:

Yes!  This is the name i blanked on earlier with Johnny Wilson.  Same player.  Though i'm not even sure Funchess wasn't actually a better college player.  Though in any case, just not the sort of project i'd care to tinker with.

It's that whole "tall receiver" rather than a "big receiver".  Just very linear and reliant on height and being able to run in basically straight lines without disruption.

Why not a fellow fsu player…. Kelvin Benjamin.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

You say that like those comps aren't absolute studs.  😆

They're good but not elite players. I've seen Odunze ranked in the top 5 overall prospects. That seems high to me in this class.

Edited by Rich7sena

8 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Why not a fellow fsu player…. Kelvin Benjamin.

I did mention a "poor man's Kelvin Benjamin" initially, while i was blanking on Funchess name even.  😆

I think that's even being generous to him though.

6 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Maybe Brandon Marshall is a ceiling…

I can kind of see Odunze = Brandon Marshall comp.  I don't know that he's built quite as stout or quite as bonkers competitive, but he's definitely in that vein.

33 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

They're good but not elite players. I've seen Odunze ranked in the top 5 overall prospects. That seems high to me in this class.

I'd say they're both at least on the cusp at their respective position.  I don't know what team wouldn't kill for a guy like that with a super premium pick even.  Especially when you're talking about that ultra valuable rookie deal.  That's what you hope that your top pick WR pans out to be.

I think the biggest question is...who in this class is a "better" prospect?  It's just really WR and OT heavy at the top.  Plus the QBs who sort of...exist outside the normal hierarchy anyway.  Maybe not "better prospects" but likely to be picked earlier anyway because QB is such a premium.  Most other things...you're really just "reaching" for position in this draft.

Went back and watched a lot of Xavier Worthy after his fast 40 time and I've got to say, I'm more impressed than I expected. I liked him as a route runner before, I like him more now - more refined in his start/stop than I remembered. He can track a football, he transitions to become a runner after the catch so effortlessly. YAC are always on the cards with this guy. Whether you want him doing that at his size, is another question. Play strength is an issue, but he's not John Ross. He is a skilled receiver. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Went back and watched a lot of Xavier Worthy after his fast 40 time and I've got to say, I'm more impressed than I expected. I liked him as a route runner before, I like him more now - more refined in his start/stop than I remembered. He can track a football, he transitions to become a runner after the catch so effortlessly. YAC are always on the cards with this guy. Whether you want him doing that at his size, is another question. Play strength is an issue, but he's not John Ross. He is a skilled receiver. 

97 percentile breakout age as well. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I am wondering if Worthy lost weight to have a shot at breaking the 40 yard dash record with the idea he will gain some weight by his pro day and just do some route running and receiving drills and no more athletic drills. He just seemed much slimmer at the combine than on tape (which is not admittedly an easy comparison between a track outfit and full football gear).

I wouldn't have advised it as I would have preferred him weighing in at around 175 lbs. and run right around or just below 4.40 in the 40, which IMO would have been perfectly fine based on his tape.

Edited by nicfre2011

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I can kind of see Odunze = Brandon Marshall comp.  I don't know that he's built quite as stout or quite as bonkers competitive, but he's definitely in that vein.

I like the comp of AJ Brown myself.  Brown played bully ball like Odunze did, and both were big bodied, athletic receivers.  Brown got better separation from college CBs, and was shorter, heavier, and ever so slightly slower.  At least from my memory of Brown.  And a taller, lighter AJ Brown is a damn good prospect.

Of course, the Titans might be the team drafting Odunze, so maybe I just want him to look like the receiver who we foolishly let go.

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

That's where I am too.  Until Nabers shows up at like, less than 180 lbs, I still have Odunze as WR3.  He's a fantastic prospect, but the class is stacked at the top.  There's a great QB prospect, a blue chip, maybe generational OT, and two receivers in front of him at minimum.  Then there's a couple more tackles at his level, a generational TE (if you're discouting positional value), and a couple more QBs if you're not.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:24 PM, Scoundrel said:

The thing about Worthy is he will put his shoulder down and meet contact. That stood out to me.

which means he's probably gonna get blown up and destroyed fairly often in the NFL.