2024 OL Talk

nicfre2011

On 3/4/2024 at 3:15 PM, Daniel said:

Limmer getting that many reps is legitimately shocking.  I reviewed tape for him like last week, and he was struggling a lot at the point of attack.  Did not expect him to be that strong.

conversely, Beebee is strong in the run game. Moves people with ease. Him having 20 reps is shocking to me.

I think this IOL class sucks. The OT's are great. The only IOL I like are JPJ, Zinter, Beebee, and Barton. I'd bet a lot that they will be great. The other guys have some potential, but I am very wary of the others.

I am more and more bearish on JPJ the more I look at him.  He's powerful, and that's great, but he's sloppy with his blocks, and gets by on his play strength a lot.  The combine didn't help him there, as I thought he was not a smooth mover in the drills.

I have Zach Frazier as the top C in this class now myself.  I like the IOL class quite a bit.  Fautanu as an OG is a blue chip, Barton is elite too.  Frazier is a great C prospect, and there's a ton of Day 3 talent at center.  Monk, McMahon, and Bortolini are all athletic as all get out with lots of starting reps, which is a good place to start on Day 3.  Beebe and Zinter (sans injury) are the top guards, but Hayes is a good prospect as well, and there are lots of RTs that could slide to guard and be very effective, along with a lot of guys who looked very good at the combine.  I like Sedrick Van Prann Granger a good bit as well.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Serious question, but off the top of my head, all the "is this guy a guard or a tackle" guys end up at guard.  At least the ones I can remember.  Are there any that come to mind that did work out at tackle?  Bakihtiari was short, but I don't recall that being part of the narrative of him as a draft pick.

I agree that the vast majority end up at Guard but there are a select few that stay at tackle. Slater, Jonah Williams and Braden Smith come to mind. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TVScout said:

What is RM ?

Rep Max.  Wouldn't be a powerlifting competition where they go all out for 1 rep.  3-5 reps is perfectly safe and a better way to gauge strength and power.  30 reps at 225 takes 30+ seconds, you never have to hold a block for 30+ seconds.  3-5 reps could take 5-10s.

8 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Rep Max.  Wouldn't be a powerlifting competition where they go all out for 1 rep.  3-5 reps is perfectly safe and a better way to gauge strength and power.  30 reps at 225 takes 30+ seconds, you never have to hold a block for 30+ seconds.  3-5 reps could take 5-10s.

What about the final reps where one fights to complete each rep? Does it merit anything or not? Just curious.

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

I am more and more bearish on JPJ the more I look at him.  He's powerful, and that's great, but he's sloppy with his blocks, and gets by on his play strength a lot.  The combine didn't help him there, as I thought he was not a smooth mover in the drills.

I have Zach Frazier as the top C in this class now myself.  I like the IOL class quite a bit.  Fautanu as an OG is a blue chip, Barton is elite too.  Frazier is a great C prospect, and there's a ton of Day 3 talent at center.  Monk, McMahon, and Bortolini are all athletic as all get out with lots of starting reps, which is a good place to start on Day 3.  Beebe and Zinter (sans injury) are the top guards, but Hayes is a good prospect as well, and there are lots of RTs that could slide to guard and be very effective, along with a lot of guys who looked very good at the combine.  I like Sedrick Van Prann Granger a good bit as well.

Yeah.  I'm kind of wary on JPJ as well.  He seems to be getting huge hype, but there are some real flags there for me.

It's kind of a weird comp, and not really direct.  But i find there's a bit of Will Hernandez to him.  Where people were also a bit doe-eyed over his "power" and intensity.  But the technique was kind of sloppy and there are other movement and leverage issues in his game that pop up that i don't really like to see.  I don't mind him still, but i keep seeing a ton of fans clambering for him solidly Mid-1st and that just seems very rich to me.

Especially where there are a bunch of other IOL guys that i like quite a bit.  A lot of the names listed there and i'd add Puni as well.

Though i still think Fautanu could hold up at Tackle.  Still worth discussing his value as a blue chip Guard too.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Serious question, but off the top of my head, all the "is this guy a guard or a tackle" guys end up at guard.  At least the ones I can remember.  Are there any that come to mind that did work out at tackle?  Bakihtiari was short, but I don't recall that being part of the narrative of him as a draft pick.

In general, i think you're right.  Typically when there's a real "question" about whether they're a Tackle or Interior guy...they end up either being a Guard, or almost as often a Center it feels like.

But there were a few names listed who transcended that.  I'd also add Cam Robinson's name to the list of guys who have successfully stayed at Tackle.  I remember there being a lot of talk about whether he'd ultimately have to kick inside.  Clearly hasn't had to.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:24 AM, Daniel said:

Agreed 100%.  JPJ has been getting that draftnik bandwagon hype this year and it's gone way overboard.  Same with Jordan Morgan, albeit to a somewhat lesser extent.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Agreed 100%.  JPJ has been getting that draftnik bandwagon hype this year and it's gone way overboard.  Same with Jordan Morgan, albeit to a somewhat lesser extent.

See I actually like Morgan. He had a great game against Latu, but Trice whooped him. He needs to develop his play strength, but that should be doable.

I wouldn’t want him in the first round, but for instance at 38, I would be good with him.

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

This center class is good and deep and it's a good year to need one. 

It's crazy, in that...it actually miraculously aligns with the Jaguars needs.  But also, in that there are at least 6 guys that i wouldn't even flinch at penciling in as starters in the NFL from Day 1.  And that's without knowing how some of the Guards are in terms of snapping and being able to potentially move over and handle that role.

Like...any of...

Frazier.
Barton.
Limmer.
Puni.
JPJ.
Van Pran.

I wouldn't hesitate to project as a significant opening day of the season upgrade for the Jaguars at Center.  And there are a handful of other interesting projects in the later rounds that might offer something if they can get some issues sorted out.

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

It's funny how every year, certain guys just end up being a magnet for amateur draft love.  Definitely feels like JPJ has caught on as one of those guys this year.

Jordan Morgan on the other hand...i haven't really seen the same hype for.  In fact, i've barely seen him talked about at all tbh.  I'm not even sure on my own opinion of him at this point.

24 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Jordan Morgan on the other hand...i haven't really seen the same hype for.  In fact, i've barely seen him talked about at all tbh.  I'm not even sure on my own opinion of him at this point.

If you want to love him: watch the UCLA game.

If you want to hate him: watch the Washington game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Maybe it's just in the Packers sub then.  I've also seen him mocked to GB with their 1st rounder in several mock drafts which is ridiculous IMO.  Maybe I'm wrong and he'll be good but man, I just don't see it at all with him.