2024 OL Talk

nicfre2011

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Mims has a lot of upside too. Though sometimes people use "upside" as code for looking good in a small sample. 

Mims is the biggest boom or bust in this class. If he had 13 games of equivalent tape to what he’s shown, I feel like he’d be in the conversation for OT2.

Dancing bear, as someone said earlier in the thread.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Daniel said:

Mims is the biggest boom or bust in this class. If he had 13 games of equivalent tape to what he’s shown, I feel like he’d be in the conversation for OT2.

Dancing bear, as someone said earlier in the thread.

Another Lineman who is getting by on athletics and less on technical ability.  

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Another Lineman who is getting by on athletics and less on technical ability.  

I’m glad you just said less because there are some clear technical triumphs in his game as well but they can still be molded which is expected given the lack of playing time. If he can stay healthy with more and more experience he can quickly become a top blend of both at the next level.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I’m glad you just said less because there are some clear technical triumphs in his game as well but they can still be molded which is expected given the lack of playing time. If he can stay healthy with more and more experience he can quickly become a top blend of both at the next level.

It just fits the boom/bust pattern IMHO.   Brodrick Jones, the Steelers 1st round pick last year was a boom/bust.  Athletic ability and length but much less on technique. Not zero but less than you expect in the NFL.  Just means that they need to learn techniques they were not taught.  Many Olinemen are short on technique as that is the nature of the game.  The ones with more technique just have a higher floor.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It just fits the boom/bust pattern IMHO.   Brodrick Jones, the Steelers 1st round pick last year was a boom/bust.  Athletic ability and length but much less on technique. Not zero but less than you expect in the NFL.  Just means that they need to learn techniques they were not taught.  Many Olinemen are short on technique as that is the nature of the game.  The ones with more technique just have a higher floor.

What I am saying is what makes him boom/bust is the injury history more than anything. It’s easy to just assume a guy has technical flaws when he has played less. But he shows some good technical aspects to his game when he is on the field. Can he still grow? Absolutely and obviously more experience helps. But lumping him in with raw prospects claiming technical deficiencies is not what I see on tape. An example is he picks up and passes off stunts better than a guy like Fuaga who has more experience. Technically he keeps himself in position to react to counters. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

What I am saying is what makes him boom/bust is the injury history more than anything. It’s easy to just assume a guy has technical flaws when he has played less. But he shows some good technical aspects to his game when he is on the field. Can he still grow? Absolutely and obviously more experience helps. But lumping him in with raw prospects claiming technical deficiencies is not what I see on tape. 

Yeah, I would agree. If Mims is raw, then Guyton is like, not yet even butchered.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, I would agree. If Mims is raw, then Guyton is like, not yet even butchered.

Mims hasn't had many reps. I don't know if he's raw from a technical standpoint, to your point. I like Mims a lot. Guyton scares me more because he has tape of him lunging around like a maniac. A lot of tape of him doing that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

In the end, once they get into an NFL program...a lot of these guys are going to have some significant overhaul work done to their technical game, depending on the team/scheme/OLine coach and system.  That's where the movement skills, strength, leverage, and general instincts and awareness are the biggest things.  The technique can be tweaked, as long as they're coachable and don't have a ton of absolutely horrible entrenched bad habits or anything.

But yeah.  There are the real polished "technicians" who generally tend to have that higher "floor".  They're a little bit safer, in that you're not trying to project as much of a massive technical overhaul.  Though they can certainly "bust" too, if they're using technique to survive and cover up for more fundamental athletic limitations at the collegiate level.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 10:12 PM, Tugboat said:

Upside is so hard to pin down with Tackles sometimes.  A lot of the best haven't even been athletic monsters.

You’re usually talking about who is the best pass protector when it comes to OT.  How many times have we talked about elite run-graders at OT being considered the top OT in the NFL?  Maybe in the 80s or early 90s, but it’s usually talking about elite pass protectors.  Fashanu grades out better as a pass protector than Joe Alt.  That’s not a knock on Alt by any means.  Kinda reminds me of Bryan Bulaga if we’re being honest.  I think Alt is going to test a bit better than Bulaga did, and I don’t think he’s going to have the “shorter” arms that Bulaga did.  But both are more technically strong than Fashanu is.  Mims is just incredibly raw because of the limited amount of tape on him.  His best tape matches that with any other OT in this year’s class IMO.  But that usually separates elite prospects from non-elite prospects: consistency.  I’d take Guyton over Latham if we’re going down that path, although they’re a different tier for me.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 8:58 AM, jebrick said:

Steelers need a RT and center so a good draft for them.

Would you be happy with Mims in Rd 1 and Frazier in Rd.2?

I would gamble on Mims if I was the NYJ.

Alt has the least bust factor of any player regardless of position in this draft. You're getting Jake Matthews. I'll take that over a guy that may have more athletic ability like Fashanu.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

Would you be happy with Mims in Rd 1 and Frazier in Rd.2?

I would gamble on Mims if I was the NYJ.

Alt has the least bust factor of any player regardless of position in this draft. You're getting Jake Matthews. I'll take that over a guy that may have more athletic ability like Fashanu.

If JPJ is gone then yes.  Depends on the OT run.  Lots of teams are looking at Centers and there are 3 upper tier ones.  I expect all of them to be gone in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 6:24 AM, jebrick said:

If JPJ is gone then yes.  Depends on the OT run.  Lots of teams are looking at Centers and there are 3 upper tier ones.  I expect all of them to be gone in the 2nd round.

I also like Van Prann.

I expect Frazier to be there in the 2nd when the Steelers are picking. However if the other guys are gone and it gets within 5-10 picks in the 2nd rd and Frazier is still on the board I would look at trading up and fixing the Steelers OL for a long time.

Edited by Kirby Drive

It seems like a great tackle class but really, outside of Alt and Fashanu, they seem to all be right tackles.  Do guys like Guyton, Latham, Fuaga possess the potential to move to the left side, or are Alt and Fashanu really the only options at LT in this draft?

3 hours ago, prob2236 said:

It seems like a great tackle class but really, outside of Alt and Fashanu, they seem to all be right tackles.  Do guys like Guyton, Latham, Fuaga possess the potential to move to the left side, or are Alt and Fashanu really the only options at LT in this draft?

I honestly wouldn't get hung up on it. There are athletic baselines you'd want your left tackle to hit, but even then the Orlando Browns of the world prefer the left side. All of these guys will be transitioning to a new scheme and techniques - so switching sides will be no deal for some and others just can't do it. It's like learning to drive on the other side of the cabin. I don't think there's anything any of us on the outside can say one way or another. 

5 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Like gfw said, good players can transition, but the majority of the class is traditional right tackles. Still, I would put Mims, Morgan, Foster, and Rouse into the category of guys who play like traditional left tackles (even though Mims is built like a right).