2024 OL Talk

nicfre2011

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This happened like five or six times where there was like a completely unaccounted for DL or blitzer.  If I'm Freeman, my OC has some explaining to do after that game.

Also, I just googled who it was, and they replaced their OC a month ago, lol.  I can very much see why after watching this game.

Not surprised - but the fact the QB doesn't even fake the handoff makes me really wonder if it wasn't a failure by the RB - maybe he thought the play call was for a fake run and he was really supposed to block left or run a route if the rusher drops into coverage?  Guess we'll never know, but regardless that's either QB or RB failure not Alt

• Like 3

On 2/6/2024 at 12:38 PM, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  At the end of the day, teams are always going to ask, "if you can do it, why didn't you?"

Unless you've got a Joeckel + Matthews sort of situation or something, but even then...the latter just stayed an extra year to prove that he can be a top LT (and ended up a lot better lol).

The other real situation that could be at play...is if you're talking about a college team with a Lefty QB where things are sort of flipped.  Maybe.

The final situation could still be someone like Guyton with some extenuating circumstances who is making a positional switch from defense to offense in the first place, and they perhaps didn't want to completely throw him to the wolves and/or depend on him as a LT, so they eased him in at RT.  Where he then stuck, because they didn't want to overload him with a RT -> LT transition on top of all the other stuff.  Though that still has to raise questions for NFL teams drafting him, about when, or how soon you'd even be able to try to get him to make the switch as a Pro.  If it's just a case of, try to make the switch immediately, or are you going to have to let him get comfortable as a Pro at RT before even trying to move him?  But it certain invites an awful lot of questions before i think you could even tentatively project him as a possible LT Pro.

guyton started at Left Tackle week 1 in 2022 while Harrison was at RT and then Harrison was moved to LT while Morris/Guyton played RT

On 2/11/2024 at 12:43 PM, LinderFournette said:

guyton started at Left Tackle week 1 in 2022 while Harrison was at RT and then Harrison was moved to LT while Morris/Guyton played RT

And...?  Guyton is obviously going to have questions to answer about why he wasn't ever moved to LT full time at some point, despite have some of the obvious traits to potentially do it.  It's always a pretty big leap to project a transition from RT --> LT as a Pro if they haven't proven it at the Collegiate level.  But he's certainly within a stones throw of one of the few decent excuses i can think of.

That tracks pretty well with a guy who was exceptionally raw, thrown in over their head at LT...where they quickly relaxed the burden by flipping him...and then maybe just decided to let him continue to get comfortable there while working on the many technical things that are still a very long ways from polished.  Or the Lefty QB blindside flip thing.

He's going to be a guy where...unless he's really got something to hide, he's going to want to seriously show off his movement skills from a LT set, anywhere he can through the draft process.  Combine, Pro Day, Private Workouts...wherever he can show teams that he can kick and move to the left just as naturally.  It'll make him money at the draft if he can convince even just one team he's a LT prospect, and it'll make him a boatload of money in the long run if he can stick as a LT.  So it's certainly in his best interest to demonstrate that...if he can.  But that's obviously going to be the question.  Otherwise, he's just a really raw, easy-moving RT...which is still plenty valuable, but a clear tier below in premium.

Edited by Tugboat

Fuaga looks like the most talented tackle prospect in this class to me. I wonder if teams would be open to drafting him as a left tackle. I have always believed that there's no such thing as a left or right tackle only. We've seen too many examples of it working.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Fuaga looks like the most talented tackle prospect in this class to me. I wonder if teams would be open to drafting him as a left tackle. I have always believed that there's no such thing as a left or right tackle only. We've seen too many examples of it working.

Talented? It’s definitely Fashanu. He may not be the best, but Fashanu definitely has the most tools to develop/dominate. 

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Talented? It’s definitely Fashanu. He may not be the best, but Fashanu definitely has the most tools to develop/dominate. 

I've only watched on game of Fashanu, but he looks slower footed and definitely not as good in space as Fuaga. Fuaga reminds me of Tyron Smith. What is Fashanu's best trait? Is he really strong?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I've only watched on game of Fashanu, but he looks slower footed and definitely not as good in space as Fuaga. Fuaga reminds me of Tyron Smith. What is Fashanu's best trait? Is he really strong?

He's not particularly strong.  He moves way better than Fuaga imo; elite recovery, long legs to cover ground quickly, and moves in space gracefully.  He struggles staying latched a lot of the time.  Illinois is good tape for Fashanu, but he's not polished, and people are just now catching up to that fact.  It's been apparent on tape for some time, but not everyone watches the tape.

No one's gonna look strong if you compare their tape to Fuaga's though imo.  Dude usually ends it against pass rushers with his initial punch.  But I've only watched Fuaga in like two games, so maybe he moves better in space than I give him credit for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He's not particularly strong.  He moves way better than Fuaga imo; elite recovery, long legs to cover ground quickly, and moves in space gracefully.  He struggles staying latched a lot of the time.  Illinois is good tape for Fashanu, but he's not polished, and people are just now catching up to that fact.  It's been apparent on tape for some time, but not everyone watches the tape.

No one's gonna look strong if you compare their tape to Fuaga's though imo.  Dude usually ends it against pass rushers with his initial punch.  But I've only watched Fuaga in like two games, so maybe he moves better in space than I give him credit for.

What was most apparent about Fuaga to me was his explosiveness--especially his initial kick step. I've only watched one game of each of the top guys. Fuaga's game was against Oregon.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

What was most apparent about Fuaga to me was his explosiveness--especially his initial kick step. I've only watched one game of each of the top guys. Fuaga's game was against Oregon.

I watched Fuaga against UCLA, mostly, and I think I watched him against Oregon too, but IIRC that was mostly to watch Dorlus on the other side.  Fashanu at his best is against Illinois, at his worst is against Ohio State.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Upside is so hard to pin down with Tackles sometimes.  A lot of the best haven't even been athletic monsters.

For me, Alt is by far and away the Best LT prospect in this draft.  Most talented?  idk.  I don't really care even.  He reminds me of Jake Matthews.  Probably won't ever be "The Best LT in the NFL".  But if he gives you a decade of rock solid reliable Top-10ish LT play...who cares?  Take that every day and twice on Sundays.  Imagine just locking down a "cornerstone" position for that long and not having to ever worry about it.  That's phenomenal.

He's just so smart, so polished, and has all the size and length and strength you could ask for.

After that though...it gets murky for me.

Fashanu is interesting.  But the fact he plays with basically two bionic legs already scares me.  Especially when you really watch him and see how he pretty regularly seems to get pushed out over his plant leg and has to reset.  It just looks like knee injuries waiting to happen to me.  Very lateral kick.  He's got a lot of talent though.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Fuagu to me is not so much heavy footed or "slow" even.  He's also obviously heavy when he lands.  It's that i kind of question his recognition and ability to redirect.  There are way too many plays in what i've watched (other Oregon would be the prime example - not practices like the other guy was watching 😉) where he looks like he's just a bit lost looking for a block or falls off one looking for another or misses one waiting for something, just not very good at redirecting.  Which is weird and doesn't show any of the savvy that someone like Alt has.  A lot of that can be scheme and coaching...but i just don't see the movement or awareness to project him as a LT at all.  To me, it reads like a more classic "Road Grader RT" who can just line up and push a dude out the way.  That's where he seems best, when the assignment is clear, physical, and moving forward.  Just doesn't scream LT to me.

• Like 1

When I think of potential in a LT, it’s the guys with the best movement skills. Fashanu is a strong dude…he just doesn’t have that dawg in him to bury dudes in the run game.

I can hear arguments he’s not OT1 and that’s totally fine. But he definitely has the most upside in my book. Followed by Guyton, who I have as like OT4…but his upside is very good.