Transfer Portal: '23-'24 Edition

BobbyPhil1781

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Reminds me of the NFL with Free Agents, only there is no Franchise Tag to keep a player on a team :D

Hey, if coaches can move freely, let the kids. Make those coaches work for those salaries rather than thinking they can just lock them into scholarships and be done with them. Love it all. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Julian Fleming enters the portal along with Reid Carrico.

Fleming is a bit of a surprise but the young WRs we have are absolutely loaded with talent so I'm not too surprised. Carrico was going to be depth as well but there's seemingly something going on and I'm curious as to what it is. 

Has to be tied to McCord leaving. Last season to cement himself as a draft pick and he likely knows he will still be the #2-#3 guy behind Tate next year with a transfer QB. Seems like the type of guy who will go try to be the #1 on a lesser team to get his shine after playing behind Olave/Garrett/MHJ/Egbuka for 3 years.

Are you talking about in terms of transfers in the portal going on or Carrico specifically? I think its just he knows he wont be starting over Styles or Hicks so he is gone IMO but what do I know.

I don’t think Julian Fleming has anything to do with Kyle McCord. Fleming did nothing with McCord this season, in fact, there was a tremendous drop off from him to Stroud from the year prior. My guess is wherever McCord goes, he goes the opposite direction. We are talking about a guy who had almost double digit touchdowns as a junior to having a couple hundred yards and no scores this year. Can recount multiple times he was wide open for touchdowns where it was overthrown.

Bottom line for Fleming, he did not ever live up to what he was expected as a pass catcher, and they have younger guys who are going to continue to get those targets over him.

Edited by NateDawg

On a personal level, I liked Kyle McCord just fine. He seemed like a nice kid, and he stuck through being a back up a couple seasons. But he had a very beta personality. I would not have followed him into a pillow fight. That’s just not the type of guy that’s going to withstand the scrutiny of a place like Ohio State.

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Huge QB entering the portal. Wonder where he'll land..... Last time OSU took a QB previously at Georgia, it worked out really well

Not a plug and play guy at a place like Ohio State. That’s what Ohio State is looking for if they take a transfer.

Miyan Williams is a UDFA all the way. Some dudes are just done being in college. I’m not an expert but I feel like at a lesser program he would have made more in portal NIL than missing an NFL roster next year. 

Also that seems to be a surefire indication Carson Beck will be back at Georgia.

Edited by NateDawg

"Realistic" transfer portal guys I'd like for VT:

Duke DL Aeneas Peebles
UNC DL Kedrick Bingley-Jones (hasn't panned out, maybe a change of scenery)
Gannon DL Obi Ezeigbo
Vandy DL Nate Clifton
Harvard DL Thor Griffith
Ga Tech Edge Kyle Kennard
Duke Edge RJ Oben
Indiana IOL Zach Carpenter
Indiana OT Carter Smith (visited Blacksburg this past weekend)
North Dakota OT Easton Kilty
Harvard TE Tyler Neville (he's from Williamsburg, VA and attended Hokie camp)
UConn TE Justin Joly
Miss State RB Simeon Price (former Hokie offer)
NC State RB Jordan Houston (from Oakton, VA, had Hokie offer)

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Not a plug and play guy at a place like Ohio State. That’s what Ohio State is looking for if they take a transfer.

Miyan Williams is a UDFA all the way. Some dudes are just done being in college. I’m not an expert but I feel like at a lesser program he would have made more in portal NIL than missing an NFL roster next year. 

Also that seems to be a surefire indication Carson Beck will be back at Georgia.

I have a hot take and that hot take is that Miyan Williams is going to be one of those players who is a UDFA success story and makes a real name for himself in the NFL.

Before his injury that basically led to him missing time and others passing him on the depth chart, he reminded me SO much of Mark Ingram or CJ Anderson (who was also a UDFA) who both made nice careers for themselves in the NFL being absolute stocky bowling balls with deceptive quickness and lateral ability.

He has a elite skillset and that skillset is 'Run through a ****** face" to quote Marshawn Lynch. There is a place for that in the NFL.