Surprise cuts

49erurtaza

37 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I thought he played well as a slot CB as of late.  Did his play decline towards the end of last season and so far this year?

The Steelers need CBs that can play press man.  Gay has always been a zone or off man CB. He has lost a lot of speed in the last year.  If he is playing you can guess the defense will be a zone.  Gay should be cut but only Hilton has really stepped up.  Brian Allen, who has looked good, is still a converted WR.

Because Sutton and Golson have been injured all of camp and Brian Allen can't be ready for the season start, Gay will start for the Steelers.  If he is still starting at the end of October then the Steelers are in trouble.

Desmond Bryant, DE Cleveland Browns:  Very surprised he was let go, I think he has a lot of talent and has been a pretty damn productive pass rusher.  Wonder if he did not come back the same after the injury

Andy Phillips, K Chicago Bears:  Always thought he had a really strong leg in college, surprised they did sign Roberto Aguayo though, if he gets his mind right Aguayo is a very solid kicking prospect as well.  Would not be surprised to see Phillips get a shot at some point.  

Jordan Westerkamp, WR Miami Dolphins: Some what of a long shot but at least thought he could be a practice squad player potentially.  Does the little things right in pass catching and route running but physically is not that impressive.  

Two most notable Titans that could be cut appear to be Tajae Sharpe and Kevin Dodd. Not that either are incredibly likely, but they're definitely pretty close to the bubble. Sharpe got a ton of hype throughout camp and the preseason last year, but was pretty ineffective despite racking up a ton of targets and snaps. With Decker, Davis and Taylor added to the receiving room, it'll be interesting to see if the Titans keep a fifth or sixth receiver that brings nothing on special teams.

Dodd has just been bad and has never looked like a fit in the 3-4. I see him sticking around because he was the 33rd pick last year, but he's been massively outplayed by a pair of late-round picks from last year's class, primarily Aaron Wallace.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Dodd has just been bad and has never looked like a fit in the 3-4. I see him sticking around because he was the 33rd pick last year, but he's been massively outplayed by a pair of late-round picks from last year's class, primarily Aaron Wallace.

Maybe they could trade him for Reggie Ragland? 

Seriously, I didn't understand why they drafted Dodd last year and I don't understand it now.

Just now, Crickett said:

Seriously, I didn't understand why they drafted Dodd last year and I don't understand it now.

It was just a fundamentally bad pick. He has no burst off the edge. Frankly, I don't think he could even be a 4-3 DE, asking him to play OLB is insane. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017081951/2017/PRE2/panthers@titans#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000831819&tab=videos

This was him in coverage the other day. Note that the receiver is a fullback that ran a 4.7 and watch just how easily he cruised right past him (Dodd is 93).

I think his best chance is to put on 15-20 pounds and try to play 3-4 DE. Or to lose 15-20 pounds and hope it adds some quickness to his game. Because this current version of Dodd has no chance of making any sort of impact in the NFL.

43 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Two most notable Titans that could be cut appear to be Tajae Sharpe and Kevin Dodd. Not that either are incredibly likely, but they're definitely pretty close to the bubble. Sharpe got a ton of hype throughout camp and the preseason last year, but was pretty ineffective despite racking up a ton of targets and snaps. With Decker, Davis and Taylor added to the receiving room, it'll be interesting to see if the Titans keep a fifth or sixth receiver that brings nothing on special teams.

Why would they cut Sharpe that early?  Decker is a damn good football player and Davis has a ton of upside but would be foolish to cut Sharpe after showing some things last year.  Dodd is doing that poorly?  Was a good prospect coming out of Clemson, no clue why they think he is a good 3/4 OLB, he is a 4/3 down DE, is not athletic enough to play OLB and no clue why they use him like that or even drafted him for this system, kind of a waste so hopefully they do cut him.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Why would they cut Sharpe that early?  Decker is a damn good football player and Davis has a ton of upside but would be foolish to cut Sharpe after showing some things last year.

Honestly, he was pretty bad last year but was forced into a starting role because of just how bad the receiving group was. Sub-50% catch rate and lowest average yards per target of anyone on the team. I desperately wanted him to be good, but he just doesn't have any above-average traits. Average hands, average route running, doesn't really create separation, decent size but rarely made a contested catch and him not finishing routes led directly to two of Mariota's nine interceptions last year.

I think he got overly hyped by beating up on a bad secondary in practices last year. If he doesn't add any value on ST, he's likely a weekly inactive even if he makes the team. Because he's clearly behind Rishard Matthews, Eric Decker, Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor.

14 hours ago, Castiron said:

Steeler fans have hated Gay for years.

Yeah I was never a huge fan of Gay, but he has been around for a long time, cannot say the same for many of those Steelers corners.  It is a revolving door for them

Audie Cole from the Jaguars:  

Never really got a chance yet, always liked him as a potential ILB or even 3/4 OLB, hope he catches on with another team.

Ahmad Brooks from 49ers:

Money move, but still a good player and some team will have a fine 3/4 OLB with some power.  Maybe has one or two years left of being a solid player.

Archived