Eagles fear QB Carson Wentz suffered torn ACL

deltarich87

46 minutes ago, areksoo said:

Yes, but you become a ticking time bomb where your ACL can give out at any time... even if you don't get hit.  Just ask Tannehill.

You're also risking further damage - a torn ACL is usually accompanied by a torn meniscus, but playing on a partially torn ACL can lead to injuries to the MCL, LCL, PCL, IT bands, patella tendon... which would complicate the entire repair process.

The ACL is a small ligament, but it's like a cog in a clock - if it's not working correctly, the entire joint isn't going to work correctly and the rest of the cogs are going to be at risk.

If it's a sprain, you've got to error on the side of caution. It's a huge year, but it's also year two of what is going to be a fantastic career. No need to jeopardize this arc, this isn't going to be the only time Wentz and the Eagles will be at double digit wins by week 14. 

I understand the sentiment that even if it isn’t a complete year they need to shut him down for the year, but consider this: how many opportunities will this Eagles team have at getting the top seed in the NFC? When you have this good of a chance, you have to go all in. People always say “Oh, they’ll be back”, but that’s never guaranteed in the NFL, considering how ultra competitive and parity driven the NFC is.

Keep Wentz out till the divisional round, then let him play.

5 minutes ago, Slingin' Sammy said:

I understand the sentiment that even if it isn’t a complete year they need to shut him down for the year, but consider this: how many opportunities will this Eagles team have at getting the top seed in the NFC? When you have this good of a chance, you have to go all in. People always say “Oh, they’ll be back”, but that’s never guaranteed in the NFL, considering how ultra competitive and parity driven the NFC is.

Keep Wentz out till the divisional round, then let him play.

If he comes back he won't have the same mobility - he will be an inferior player. Not to mention he risks getting further injured, which genuinely could affect their season next year. He's got to be done. It sucks, but at least they know what they have.

I think he could continue playing with a similar, albeit more reserved, style. He just has to learn when to get down if he goes running. No need to run on goal line situations like that. He can come back. 

EDIT: In the future. Obviously not this year. 

Just now, tonyto36 said:

There is zero chance he will or should come back.  He's a young QB with a long career in front of him. 

Risking 15 years of play and tens of millions of dollars for a two month stretch of games would be very dumb of him and the organization

Not this year obviously. I was referring more to the posts concerned that it'll alter/impair his ability in the future. 

9 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I think he could continue playing with a similar, albeit more reserved, style. He just has to learn when to get down if he goes running. No need to run on goal line situations like that. He can come back. 

No, he can't. This is ridiculous. He has a torn ACL.

EDIT: just seen you meant in future. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Not this year obviously. I was referring more to the posts concerned that it'll alter/impair his ability in the future. 

It's going to be tough to change the way a player plays the game. If they make Wentz play a more reserved style, it takes away from his ability

Archived