Week 15: VIKINGS (7-6) at Bengals (7-6)

swede700

42 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

An unfortunate trend.

Let's remember tho, that future HoF coach Andy Ried is famously bad at late game management.

There are a lot more important skills that KoC has demonstrates that he has

Like? Genuinely curious. The team didn't quit, and that's a lot on him for sure. Probably the biggest plus for me. He can coach a great QB and WR, but can he adjust?. But they were historically lucky last year, and not this year. 

I literally don't know the answer to how good he is, which is why I've largely preached patience. But these last two weeks were not good for him.

What was a problem for me was playing soft zone with 3 or 4 man pass rush when the Vikings had huge matchup problems with Higgins.  It was obvious Cincy was going to try get balls to the much taller and stronger Higgins. That's when Flores should have brought the house on blitzes because Browning and the oline showed they couldn't handle it.  Disrupt the QB to protect the DB's vulnerability. Flores going conservative drives me nuts.  Stay with the aggressive pass rush until the offense can stop it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Like? Genuinely curious. The team didn't quit, and that's a lot on him for sure. Probably the biggest plus for me. He can coach a great QB and WR, but can he adjust?. But they were historically lucky last year, and not this year. 

I literally don't know the answer to how good he is, which is why I've largely preached patience. But these last two weeks were not good for him.

To add to my confusion...

Last year they were amazingly lucky, then got obliterated by a bad team. This year they've been amazingly unlucky. How do you judge a coach in those circumstances? Decisions is the only thing I can come up with. Not execution. 

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's not one game ... And your statement is fair. Gotta see growth next year. I don't want the lack of QB to be an ongoing excuse. 

If cousins comes back healthy that shouldn’t be a problem. But I’m sure something else will fall apart since the stars never seem to align for Mn.

• Like 1

Taking a few minutes to digest this one . ... oddly, no matter what happens with the teams behind the Vikes in the playoff race this weekend, the Vikes still hold the #6 seed.   If the Lions lose, the NFC crown is still within reach.   Pretty amazing for what the team has endured to this point in the season.  

I have to give credit to Flores and the defense for a lot of that.   KOC gets credit for calling plays that help win games.

JJ is back!   Hunter is continuing his dominance.   Just need to end the season on a 3-game win streak.  

• Like 1

I said we didn't look like a playoff team, but that's more due to the meltdown at the end.

On a positive note:

The passing game worked

Chandler and Addison were fantastic

The defense brought the heat and got 5 sacks

The OL wasn't a complete wreck (yes, this is a positive thing given their performance last week lol)

We responded well after turning the ball over

I think had we executed on a few plays a bit better, we win and have a much more positive outlook. With 3 divisional games coming up, we better shape up fast!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

But they were historically lucky last year, and not this year.

I think it's a little unfair that the 11-1 record in one score games last year was solely a luck issue. Regardless, it was unprecedented and unlikely to repeat. Low and behold their 6-7 this year, which gives them the expected outcome in one score games. which the league average for is .500

Which still put KoC at 17-8 in one score games which is nuts!

You ask what he does well, and there's a lot. For one the decision to move on from Donatel and hire Flores may seem like a no brainier in hindsight, but many coaches in his position wouldn't have done it. Therefore, I believe the firing of then subsequent hiring of Flo are big credits to O'Connell.

The fact that is team has been competitive in every single game but what two, is a very good sign of good team culture. Not just from a rah rah way of things but in their week to week approach.

Idk those are just the broad strokes, and he has very clearly demonstrated that he is worth his salt as offensive play designer and play caller so that's a big plus.

One more win and he'll be at a career .600 record with average rosters and backup QBs for 9 of those games.

There needs to be continued growth, but overall his performance of his first two seasons is very very encouraging.

• Like 4

When the Vikings had the Bengals dead to rights at 3rd and 21 in the 4th Quarter after an intentional grounding penalty, that was the gift-wrapped moment to snuff Cincinnati out. They did not, and that moment was even more impactful than the failed quarterback sneaks on 3rd and 4th Down in overtime.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/after-vikings-at-bengals?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Last year they were amazingly lucky, then got obliterated by a bad team. 

Obliterated? It was a one score loss that was tied in the fourth quarter.

folks could do with not being so hyperbolic. It’s not necessary to make a point or have a take.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I think it's a little unfair that the 11-1 record in one score games last year was solely a luck issue. Regardless, it was unprecedented and unlikely to repeat. Low and behold their 6-7 this year, which gives them the expected outcome in one score games. which the league average for is .500

Which still put KoC at 17-8 in one score games which is nuts!

You ask what he does well, and there's a lot. For one the decision to move on from Donatel and hire Flores may seem like a no brainier in hindsight, but many coaches in his position wouldn't have done it. Therefore, I believe the firing of then subsequent hiring of Flo are big credits to O'Connell.

The fact that is team has been competitive in every single game but what two, is a very good sign of good team culture. Not just from a rah rah way of things but in their week to week approach.

Idk those are just the broad strokes, and he has very clearly demonstrated that he is worth his salt as offensive play designer and play caller so that's a big plus.

One more win and he'll be at a career .600 record with average rosters and backup QBs for 9 of those games.

There needs to be continued growth, but overall his performance of his first two seasons is very very encouraging.

Also, by the “luck metrics” there’s a metric that I can’t find right now, the Vikings are a historically unlucky team this year. Exponentially more unlucky than the next closest team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Also, by the “luck metrics” there’s a metric that I can’t find right now, the Vikings are a historically unlucky team this year. Exponentially more unlucky than the next closest team.

It's easy to say, because it's convenient, but I'd wager they've been more unlucky this year then they were lucky this year.

Cousins himself is probably worth an extra 1.5 wins over the last 6. Which would put this team in the driver seat for winning the division 

KOC playcalling has directly lead to 2-3 losses, I’m just shocked by his decision making. Perhaps he is just a better OC, and game management is too much on his plate to go with play calling. 

KOC is definitely going to be begging ownership and KAM to retain Cousins at all costs. Two QBs look terrible with his play calling, only Cousins looked good. With Hall the unknown 

• Like 1