Week 15: Broncos @Lions

thebestever6

Williams was in. I get Payton not challenging though; the league really does hate him. He wouldn’t have gotten the overturn anyways. 

We knew this team had holes so I’m not upset at this game. But moving forward in the coming years, it’s going to be interesting to see how we compensate for the bias against our coach. Like.. we’re gonna have to really beat teams to get W’s. Hope he’s got some good drafting chops. 

I can't get upset about this loss. Detroits a much better team, and this was as close to a "must win" for them as you can get. They finish up the season with 2 games against the Vikings and a road trip to Dallas.

@broncos67 has pointed out we're punching above our weight class and it's true. @lomaxgrUK has been pointing out our DL deficiencies forever and today, again, they were exposed. We were on the very short end of "run the ball, stop the run" and teams just got a blueprint of how to shut down Wilson. Take away the running game, contain him and make him beat you from the pocket.

Anyway, they didn't quit, they were just outclassed. 

• Like 1

If we're being honest, that was a pretty expected outcome. We're not a good team (although not necessarily a bad team either). We're a team that is coached well and if one or two things break our way we can claw out a win. The Lions have one of the best O-lines in football, a two headed running attack and two top tier receiving options. We couldn't get an early lead and that was the beginning of the end for us this game. 

The bright side? While it would have helped a lot to win this game, it wasn't a must win the way the next 3 are even despite this loss. They're extremely winnable games for us and if we can sweep those last three games, we have a great shot at the playoffs. I'm not expecting to make any noise if that happens but it would be nice to get Justin Simmons, Bolles and Sutton a taste of the post season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

If we're being honest, that was a pretty expected outcome. We're not a good team (although not necessarily a bad team either). We're a team that is coached well and if one or two things break our way we can claw out a win. The Lions have one of the best O-lines in football, a two headed running attack and two top tier receiving options. We couldn't get an early lead and that was the beginning of the end for us this game. 

The bright side? While it would have helped a lot to win this game, it wasn't a must win the way the next 3 are even despite this loss. They're extremely winnable games for us and if we can sweep those last three games, we have a great shot at the playoffs. I'm not expecting to make any noise if that happens but it would be nice to get Justin Simmons, Bolles and Sutton a taste of the post season. 

They pretty much owned both sides of the LOS. Lot's of 1,2 and 3rd rd picks. Detroit's invested heavily in the trenches through the draft and it shows.

• Like 1

If we really want to be honest with the team - CLE and MIN somehow got away from running the ball, and BUF was just a TO-fest that was insane.   We're 7-7 and sure, if we win out, 10-7 gets us in the playoffs.   But it's a massive fraud check - because we're only winning games where our D gets a 2+ TO differential vs. any decent team.  And we have ZERO answer for speed.  Which is fine.

Honestly, the best part of the game was that no one was seriously hurt (McGlinchey came back).  And it was nice to see some pressure from other guys on the DL today.  Jeudy showed some life.   It was good to see Mims get more work (unfortunate 2nd foot didn't get in on that great catch).  Krull looks like a serviceable cheap move TE (but we should look to upgrade the position).  But yeah...that's about it.

A few points that are worth mentioning for 2024+:

-Yeah, we know it for sure - Russell Wilson is holding back the O so much.   That slant he hit to Jeudy on the first play of the game was great - but nothing in the intermediate area until it was 35-10.   He just can't do it - and it's a staple of the Payton O.

-Payton was AWFUL at challenges - 2 easy no-brainer challenges that he passed on.     And while my Gibbs props (and those who had Laporta at O46.5-47.5 - he was at 46 before the 3rd TD) benefitted from Payton using the 3 TO's at the end of the game - what was the point if we just had 4 handoffs to end the game?  I'm not complaining that much, but game management and challenges are 2 known weak spots for Payton in his NO days.  It would be nice to have an assistant specifically with that job, because Payton on his own, well it's not changing. 

-It's honestly a broken record - but if you want to beat our D, you run the ball, and then you attack with the TE & RB in the pass game.   Amon-Ra St. Brown was a beast as well, but tonight, it was all about not getting pressure on Goff, and getting gashed on the ground and Sam Laporta.   I totally get why the Chargers couldn't implement this, but every OC on a decent O should just follow the DET gameplan (minus the rusty 1Q) to a T.

I think we'll easily handle the Chargers in a TO-neutral game.    But if teams want to beat us, they have the blueprint.   The Raiders with their ability to generate pressure (and improved coverage with CB Marcus Peters cut), and the Pats with their D, actually pose legit problems.   We'll almost certainly be favored, but there's a pretty clear path to beat us that both NE & LV can take.   And again, I'm not trying to be a downer, but IMO if we end up at 8-9 or 9-8, it's not a bad thing.   As long as the guys try hard, the kids learn and we avoid major injuries, I'll look to 2024 signs (and pray we can unload Russ for next offseason, to avoid a 2024-2025 purgatory with his 37M 2025 salary guaranteeing if we keep him past mid-March next year).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I think we got outcoached throughout this game. Payton got spooked by the naked bootleg causing a turnover and Glenn knew it. Their weak side just crashed the line every single run play after it and we were just outnumbered upfront when running it. It was crying out for PA boots but Payton just didn't trust Russ.

The speed motions (like Miami) killed us. We had no answers for it. No disruption in the route tree, miscommunication on switches, wide open holes in zone and lotssssss of missed tackles. Great start on Defense then horrendous after that.

I agree with everyone else, we didn't learn much from this. This team needs to significantly win the turnover battle to beat good teams, especially on the road.

Got to win out now.

Edited by lomaxgrUK