Week 15: Broncos @Lions

thebestever6

Like everyone else, no surprises here for me. Denver has two glaring weaknesses that really aren’t correctable until this offseason, and good teams are simply going to take advantage:

1) Our interior linebackers are terrible in coverage. They’re both hard hitting run stuffers, but the minute you ask one of them to drop back to cover a tight end they fall apart.

2) The deep middle of the football field doesn’t exist in our offensive playbook. Teams are stacking 8 guys in the box to stop our running game and we never make them pay for it. So what you’re left with is a mostly ineffective offense that can’t consistently move the football and one that depends heavily on turnovers from the D to keep the game close. That’s just not a sustainable model against good teams. 

• Like 2

Well its not often that Denver visits these parts but after the way we started and the fact that I have a real hard time watching them I just couldn't bring myself to going and that was with free tickets to boot.  Pretty sad right?  Honestly though I thought the Lions were going to blow this somehow. Like revert to the same old lions as they hadn't been playing the best.  Wore my bronco stuff to the gym yesterday but paid huge for it today, lol.  You know though I kept watching the talk shows all week and many pointed out all the designed run plays by Russ we have employed of late.  So many of the analysts thought that against the worst qb containing defence out there this would be a no brainer - to run Russ and get the Lions off balance.   I mean he's no Fields athletically, who did exactly that in the bears win over the lions the prior week but Russ has been doing alright of late with the run aspect.  I just didn't like our approach yesterday at all and the results showed oh so sadly................On the positive side took Montgomery, Gibbs, Laporta and Sutton all for over 40 yards and hit on a triple :)

11 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Like everyone else, no surprises here for me. Denver has two glaring weaknesses that really aren’t correctable until this offseason, and good teams are simply going to take advantage:

1) Our interior linebackers are terrible in coverage. They’re both hard hitting run stuffers, but the minute you ask one of them to drop back to cover a tight end they fall apart.

2) The deep middle of the football field doesn’t exist in our offensive playbook. Teams are stacking 8 guys in the box to stop our running game and we never make them pay for it. So what you’re left with is a mostly ineffective offense that can’t consistently move the football and one that depends heavily on turnovers from the D to keep the game close. That’s just not a sustainable model against good teams. 

Two things I don't think I've seen all year are 1) no passes to the intermediate or deep middle and 2) never completing a pass on the break. 

I miss watching a guy making his cut, then turning to find the ball right there. It might have been Minnesota when Sutton made a great grab in the corner of the end zone for a TD. Everybody was raving about what a great job he and Wilson did. The problem is, when Sutton made his initial break nobody was within 3 yards of him. An easy pitch and catch. The heroics weren't necessary and as designed, it was an easy TD..

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Two things I don't think I've seen all year are 1) no passes to the intermediate or deep middle and 2) never completing a pass on the break. 

I miss watching a guy making his cut, then turning to find the ball right there. It might have been Minnesota when Sutton made a great grab in the corner of the end zone for a TD. Everybody was raving about what a great job he and Wilson did. The problem is, when Sutton made his initial break nobody was within 3 yards of him. An easy pitch and catch. The heroics weren't necessary and as designed, it was an easy TD..

Russ went from Mr. Unlimited turned into Mr. Limited.

On 12/16/2023 at 11:25 PM, AKRNA said:

I can't get upset about this loss. Detroits a much better team, and this was as close to a "must win" for them as you can get. They finish up the season with 2 games against the Vikings and a road trip to Dallas.

@broncos67 has pointed out we're punching above our weight class and it's true. @lomaxgrUK has been pointing out our DL deficiencies forever and today, again, they were exposed. We were on the very short end of "run the ball, stop the run" and teams just got a blueprint of how to shut down Wilson. Take away the running game, contain him and make him beat you from the pocket.

Anyway, they didn't quit, they were just outclassed. 

Yeah...we aren't there yet.  Which is okay.  I am okay with baby steps to a place where the Broncos are contending every year.  Which to me, means a winning record this year, which I didn't think would happen.  Next year, I'd like to see the Broncos re-establish the Mile High mystique where nobody wants to play a road game in Denver, no matter their record, so I want to see them undefeated at home next year.  In year 3, I want to see a playoff run, and then in Year 4, contenders. 

I'm a bit late on this, but that performance on Saturday was absolutely horrendous. Looked like Weeks 1-5 all over again. Lazy tackling, disinterested players, offensive incompetence. The overpaid HC threw in the towel in the third quarter. Not great. Also doesn't help that we got not help this weekend. Bad outcomes for us across the board.

3-0 is necessary to have a postseason chance. No two-ways about it. I'm optimistic we can pull it off because of the schedule be we definitely need help from a bunch of teams. Time will tell.

If anything, this game highlighted how badly we need investments in upgrading the front 7. Couldn't stop the run, couldn't generate pressure, couldn't cover RBs or TEs. Just all around disgusting.