Steelers Christmas Classics: Week 15 GDT vs Pats

43M

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

Ben admitted that he lost track of downs and thought it was 4th down.

Something is fishy here, because in the locker room last night he said the opposite.  His initial quote (i tried to find the video but I can't right now) was that he called clock immediately because he was gonna clock it so they could get the field goal unit on the field and that it was the sideline in his ear telling him not to clock it and to run another play which was why there was confusion and only one receiver that ran a route.  Also there would be no point in faking the spike if he thought it was 4th down.

I think we might have a shot in NE even if gronk goes off again

just get some pressure and get off the field a few times which they did(pats needed to convert 4th down on one of their scoring drives)

if the defense can hold NE to around 24-30 pts ..I think our offense can be good enough to match ..I like our chances better this yr compared to last ..

1 hour ago, grubs10 said:

Something is fishy here, because in the locker room last night he said the opposite.  His initial quote (i tried to find the video but I can't right now) was that he called clock immediately because he was gonna clock it so they could get the field goal unit on the field and that it was the sideline in his ear telling him not to clock it and to run another play which was why there was confusion and only one receiver that ran a route.  Also there would be no point in faking the spike if he thought it was 4th down.

The sideline should be banned from trying to tell Ben what to do in a situation like this so late in the game. The only other person in that stadium qualified to suggest anything was Tom Brady and he wasn't likely to be of much help.

50 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The sideline should be banned from trying to tell Ben what to do in a situation like this so late in the game. The only other person in that stadium qualified to suggest anything was Tom Brady and he wasn't likely to be of much help.

Take a guess at what Tom Brady would have tried to do in that same scenario...

I cant stand listening to Ben talk to the media. He will never take ownership of poor decisions on his part. He immediately tried to put it on the coaching staff -- that it wasn't his decision. He wants everyone to know that, even though 95% of football people would tell you to take the shot. The other 5% have QBs who have no business being in the NFL, but hell even they are smart enough to know not to throw to the middle of the field in that situation. Its Ben's own fault he wasn't smarter than a high school freshman quarterback to know that you get one look, or its 18 rows deep in the crowd. He was even pump faking which could have lead to a possible sack and a clock expiration, which tells you he didnt care about the gravity of the situation -- only that he wanted to be the hero. 

This is the same guy who choose to pass on a RPO in the second round of playoffs in a first and goal from the 1 instead of handing the ball off to the guy who was destroying the run defense of the chiefs -- throwing an interception on a read that was never there. 

This is the same guy that had the lopsided 121 passes to 36 rushes in the two games he has heavily called plays out of the no huddle. 

Its the same guy who management had to get rid of his old offensive coordinator because he was getting too pass happy in calling his own show. 

And you are telling me this guy is blaming coaching because they wanted the ball in his hands one last time to be the team he has never been able to take down?

It just sucks how much I love that dude, and how infuriated he makes me when he passes out all the blame through the media and only sarcastically puts blame on himself ("I probably didn't make a good enough throw"). 

3 hours ago, grubs10 said:

Sounded like he threw Haley under the bus, from what I heard.

48 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Sounded like he threw Haley under the bus, from what I heard.

I'm not following all the BS, but there is no reason to no know what down it is and to not have better plays ready. I didn't hear the execution BS , but I saw what happened. Even us armchair coaches / ejected fans can see what a debacle that was. How many here accept excuses? I know I don't, and thats not because of the time I spent on my avatar either.  What happens at your job if you really faulted ? I hope these players/coaches involved never decide to become surgeons after their football career. 

This game could have been a classic in this new nfl era. Instead, it ended with a call that brings the rules to the forefront of criticism and play calling at the end that should get as much criticism as the no catch call.  I couldn't believe the play call on 3rd down either, who can ?

They need to get ready for this weeks game, and forget about that loss . Drama isn't going to help or will it? Who knows anymore.

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I'm not following all the BS, but there is no reason to no know what down it is and to not have better plays ready. I didn't hear the execution BS , but I saw what happened. Even us armchair coaches / ejected fans can see what a debacle that was. How many here accept excuses? I know I don't, and thats not because of the time I spent on my avatar either.  What happens at your job if you really faulted ? I hope these players/coaches involved never decide to become surgeons after their football career. 

This game could have been a classic in this new nfl era. Instead, it ended with a call that brings the rules to the forefront of criticism and play calling at the end that should get as much criticism as the no catch call.  I couldn't believe the play call on 3rd down either, who can ?

They need to get ready for this weeks game, and forget about that loss . Drama isn't going to help or will it? Who knows anymore.

In their defense, I thought Haley and Ben played flawless games before that final *thing*. They didn't go overly aggressive, and they weren't conservative either (minus the 2nd and 23 draw play). Destroyed us on third down and kept our offense off the field for large stretches. Scored after long drives. Flawless. 

Less said about leaving Davis one-on-one with Gronk the better though.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

In their defense, I thought Haley and Ben played flawless games before that final *thing*. They didn't go overly aggressive, and they weren't conservative either (minus the 2nd and 23 draw play). Destroyed us on third down and kept our offense off the field for large stretches. Scored after long drives. Flawless. 

Less said about leaving Davis one-on-one with Gronk the better though.

don't worry, the coaches don't listen to us 9_9

if there is a rematch, it will show which coaches make the better adjustments. I am not favouring the health of a team more than the coaching.  I am old school in that TOP is the way to keep brady from doing his scoring. If we get AB back and decide to pass , TOP could be less or there could be more possessions  which again favours brady. 

If AB returns, I see our coaches throwing to him and unless we get TD's, we don't win. I have seen too many times where we move up the field and yet get fb's and that won't work vs the pats.

I also can't count on the D because I think we maxed out in that game. I don't see the pass rush getting better in a month but injuries to their OL could always affect the outcome. 

Nice to see tomlin saint we don't make excuses, much better than saying execution and blaming the players. This game should leave the team bitter enough to remember a month from now if the rematch happens.

Is the rematch the most anticipated game of the season?

Archived