Game 15: Detroit Lions (10-4) @ Minnesota Vikings (7-7)

Louis Friend

Summary:  We needed a win to get the division title and we got.  It wouldn't have been easy under any circumstances but the Lions made it a lot harder than it needed to be.  You have to love the win and the division title but they got them despite not playing their best football at critical moments.  That said:

Dan Campbell:  He did a nice job for most of the game.  The offensive play-calling that end of the game was kind of suspect.  I am not sure if that is on him or Ben Johnson though.  No big HC issues today

Ben Johnson:  It seems weird to say that there were problems with the game-plan when you hang 30-points on a pretty good Vikings Defense.  They managed to keep the Vikings blitzing in-check and got some big plays as well.  However, we ran a dink-and-dunk offense despite the fact that the Vikings were missing one of their starting QBs.  The vertical passing game was non-existent.  I don't understand how Jameson Williams continues to be so under-used.  The play-calling at the end of the game was pretty bad.  I know they wanted to keep the clock running but getting first downs keeps the clock running just fine.

Aaron Glenn:  I don't think was a great game for AG.  Our D-Line went right back to being unable to pressure the QB for most of the game.  Our Safety play was not-great early but got much better as the game went on.  This passive containment scheme made Nick Mullens look like Aaron Rodgers at various points in the game.  I know Kevin O'Connell is an offensive guru but we should have been able to get a few more stops.  Allowing a first down on 3 and 27 is nearly inexcusable

Offense: 

Jared Goff--He played pretty well.  He didn't turn the ball over.  He had very good ball-placement on most of his throws.  However, when you complete 30 passed and have 278 yards you might be hitting the short-routes and check-downs a little too often.  I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because Brian Flores seems to be able to throw him off his game for than other DCs.

Jahmyr Gibbs--He really sparked the offense today.  His acceleration when he turns the corner on outside runs is pretty amazing.  He wasn't being careful with the ball when he fumbled early but came back from that mistake make up for his miscue

David Montgomery--He had a pretty solid day.  Most importantly, he didn't drop any passes today.  Defenses, including the Vikings a couple of times, don't pay attention to David Montgomery in the passing game.  That will create a big play opportunity at some point.

Offensive Line--They gave Jared Goff a ton of time in the passing game and had another strong game creating holes in the running.  They didn't do that late in the game but for most of the game they were pretty good against a difficult Vikings defense.

ARSB--He was back to being ARSB.  He was moving the chains all day long and notched another TD.  It is good to see him get his mojo back for the stretch run

Jameson Williams--He continues to make tough catches and does what is asked of him.  His speed is criminally under-used by Ben Johnson right now.  Lets be clear--it isn't a Jameson Williams problem that is holding him back.  Hopefully, Ben Johnson is waiting for the playoffs to unleash his speed and athleticism

Defense:

Ifeatu Melifonwu--That guy is deadly on his blitzes.  He is also making visible strides on pass coverage.  Most importantly, he is being pretty consistent.  If he puts his health problems behind him, he has the tools to keep having games like this.

Brian Branch--Overall, he had a good game.  He had a couple of gaffes in coverage but his early blitzing was very effective.  His open-field tacking was pretty good today and he notched another INT.  Hoepfully, we will continue to see that down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Kerby Joseph--He is a very confusing player.  He wasn't playing well at all early in the game.  I noticed he logged a snap on at least on kick-off.  At some point his fire came on and he started becoming more aggressive but without missing his assignments.  He started getting much more aggressive with his open-field tacking also.  His late penalty for leading with the helmet was kind of dumb and he was lucky he wasn't ejected.  The INTs were nice but he really needs to become more consistent.  He isn't going to be seeing Nick Mullens every week.  Note to Kerby Joseph:  You may not want showboat after an INT when you are carrying a live ball.  It may not end well next time.

Kinde Vildor--I am starting to like him as a role player.  He is a solid tackler and starting to show a knock for making good plays at important junctures in games.

Maclom Rodriguez--It was good to seem him get some playing time.  He played pretty well and notched a solid 3rd-down tackle to force a punt

Alex Anzalone--He hasn't been quite the same since his injury.  He was solid today hasn't returned to his pre-injury form.

John Cominsky--He almost made the team look like the "same-old-lions"  by booting the fumble while trying to pick it up instead of simply falling on it to seal the game.  He needs to be smarter than that.  The stakes only get higher from here.

Jack Campbell--He was quiet but he had one baffling play that I think is worth mentioning.  He drove his blocker into the backfield on a blitz while playing the SAM.  Instead of shedding the blocker going after Nick Mullens, he pushed his blocker straight back.  I have seen this throughout the season from a number of players.  This is the dumbest technique I can think of on a blitz.  Especially for a team that is struggling to pressure and sack opposing QBs.

D-Line--There isn't much to say because the did what they have done most of the season.  They struggled to finish plays in the passing game.  There were times when Nick Mullens had enough time to order a pizza and still complete a pass.  Granted, the Vikings have a pretty solid O-Line but the lack of pressure by the D-Line is baffling.  Josh Pascal went out with a hand injury.  Hopefully, it is a minor issue that will not keep him off the field.  

Overall:  We got the win we needed today.  Like their other big games (wins and losses), it should teach them a lot.  The stakes are only going to get higher from here.  The coaching staff and the players alike need to learn how to play loose in big games.  They are going to have to re-discover their vertical passing game, be less risk averse and generate a pass-rush from the D-Line.  All of those things are very achievable goals for them.

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Let’s not forget, Iffy is the forgotten pick from the Stafford trade.

Jared Goff

Iffy Melifonwu

Jameson Williams

Josh Paschal

Jahmyr Gibbs

Sam LaPorta

Definitely a win-win trade if there ever was one. 

Josh Pascal went down with a hand injury.  I hope it is minor.  He has already lost a fair amount of time due to injuries.  He has the tools to be a difference-maker if he stay healthy.  

I’m really at a loss for words. It’s been so long waiting for positive results for the Lions. As life has passed I didn’t think I’d get to experience this. Now I’m hoping positive playoff results are on the horizon. 

Cheering for the Lions has been a lifetime of next years, perhaps now it’s this year.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m really at a loss for words. It’s been so long waiting for positive results for the Lions. As life has passed I didn’t think I’d get to experience this. Now I’m hoping positive playoff results are on the horizon. 

Cheering for the Lions has been a lifetime of next years, perhaps now it’s this year.

Feels surreal. 

As a native Detroiter, I've watched 3 NBA championships, 4 NHL Stanley Cups, 2 MLB World Series, 3 WNBA Championships and numerous collegiate titles. I’ve never seen my favorite sports team raise a banner. I’ve been slightly long-shot hopeful previously (2014), but this team just feels special. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I had to listen to this one on Minny's radio network and we are darned blessed to have Dan Miller doing our play by play. 

I don’t live in Detroit any longer and have to find coverage for games, and most of the team it’s not a neutral announce teams. Makes me appreciate the good ones. 

13 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Feels surreal. 

As a native Detroiter, I've watched 3 NBA championships, 4 NHL Stanley Cups, 2 MLB World Series, 3 WNBA Championships and numerous collegiate titles. I’ve never seen my favorite sports team raise a banner. I’ve been slightly long-shot hopeful previously (2014), but this team just feels special. 

I never imagined you as an old man and I don't want to start now. Please delete this post. 

• Like 2