Dodgers Sign RHP Yoshinobu Yamamoto - 12/325 Million

Leader

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But I was told baseball doesn't have a problem...

I’ll enjoy watching the young Nats develop this year but anybody claiming this is no big deal or doesn’t ruin the sport a bit is just being silly. You have like 4 teams that can simply outspend everyone and you also have no salary cap yet my terrible team couldn’t pick in the top 10 of the draft again because of the dumbest draft lottery ever implemented into any sport. 

Giving any SP a 12 year deal is just a bad investment IMO. You're almost gauranteed to loose at least 1.5 - 3 years of them being able to pitch due to injury/recovery. For the Dodgers sake, they better hope he does translate to the ace most are projecting. That way he can opt out after year 5/6 and they got his prime. I can't imagine having that deal on the book for the full 12 years if he doesn't come close to being the pitcher thought. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll enjoy watching the young Nats develop this year but anybody claiming this is no big deal or doesn’t ruin the sport a bit is just being silly. You have like 4 teams that can simply outspend everyone and you also have no salary cap yet my terrible team couldn’t pick in the top 10 of the draft again because of the dumbest draft lottery ever implemented into any sport. 

They need a salary floor in the worst way to get some of these teams, including my own, to start spending money as well.  These bottom payroll owners are crying poor and we all know they really aren’t.  Maybe they can‘t afford the risk on YY, but they can certainly spend money on nine-figure deals.  

If YY is getting this kind of contract, I wonder what Blake Snell’s agent is thinking with two Cy Young’s to his credit.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RaiderX said:

If the Dodgers don't win it all this year, it's a massive failure. Ticket prices are gonna be insane. Already 325 just to get in on opening day.

Ohtani isn't pitching this year and both are on long term deals. It doesn't have to be this year, but in the next 3 or 4 I'd say

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They need a salary floor in the worst way to get some of these teams, including my own, to start spending money as well.  These bottom payroll owners are crying poor and we all know they really aren’t.  Maybe they can‘t afford the risk on YY, but they can certainly spend money on nine-figure deals.  

If YY is getting this kind of contract, I wonder what Blake Snell’s agent is thinking with two Cy Young’s to his credit.  

Agreed, the problem isn’t the teams who over spend, it’s the bottom teams. MLB has the biggest collection of cheapskate owners in pro sports by a country mile. It’s diabolical that some of these teams have like the As have a 40 mil payroll and play in a stadium that still has sewage problems, but it’s the big spenders that are breaking the sport. 🙄