Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

4 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I know how we all feel about Walter Football.com but I just looked at their most recent mock and I like it. 

1. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

6. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama

33. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville        

37. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU        

63. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana
65.  brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Connor Williams, OT, Texas

Besides who by now everyone knows I want at #1, this draft is sexay. Depending on who is there,  Cobbs makes a lot of sense; we need a big athletic receiver to pair with Corey Coleman. I believe Gordon is back for good, but it only makes sense to have a contingency plan. I could see all these picks being available with about 50% likelihood for each,  less so for Connor Williams though wouldn't be surprised with him being there. There are a logjam of late first to late second/early third tackles.  He's just popular right now before the combine etc. He might move well but not log a lot and fall. Who knows? 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It would have to be character/personality/maturity related I'd imagine.

As a fan it's hard to really object to his issues because we're not privy to those aspects of a player.

Benjamin Allbright, who just joined OBR recently, has tweeted some concerns with Rosen, which include attitude and coachability. If you’re not already doing so, Allbright is a great follow. 

11 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Benjamin Allbright, who just joined OBR recently, has tweeted some concerns with Rosen, which include attitude and coachability. If you’re not already doing so, Allbright is a great follow. 

He lost me on a podcast when he was supposed to be this "league insider" and repeatedly kept calling Scot McCloughan "Scot McCloughlin". 

Like a dozen time.  

Didn't know the man's name, but was advocating we hire him.  

Dude also posted those absurd redacted emails from "his source" that proved literally nothing.  

Maybe he's a good follow but I'd take what he says with a giant grain of salt.

Why do people keep saying Fitzpatrick is an Earl Thomas type safety? Nothing about the two is similar other than they're both good DB's.

Fitzpatrick is long and lanky, plays mostly up close to the LOS, blitzes, plays the run, and mans up on the slot receiver. Earl Thomas is purely a ball hawk and never covers anyone in man. I'm beginning to think people don't really watch the prospects and just throw out names of the top players at the position for comparisons to validate their claims.

7 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Some people are so stuck in their ways that it makes me laugh.

I've read a lot of stories about how Rosen wants to know "why?" when it comes to offensive schemes, route running, the nuances of playing QB etc. And all of those stories follow that up as evidence of him being a risky kid to coach and other nonsense.

To me, it just speaks to the disconnect we have in modern society. You see it in schools all the time, kids are taught what it is, not why it is. They're taught knowledge as opposed to the quest for knowledge. And it's why everyone my age is so similar to one another now. Abstract thinking is frowned upon. And I can only imagine how intimidating it might be for an old-school hard nosed football guy to be questioned or challenged by a well-off, 21-year-old Southern California kid that believes in his own intellect.

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Some people are so stuck in their ways that it makes me laugh.

I've read a lot of stories about how Rosen wants to know "why?" when it comes to offensive schemes, route running, the nuances of playing QB etc. And all of those stories follow that up as evidence of him being a risky kid to coach and other nonsense.

To me, it just speaks to the disconnect we have in modern society. You see it in schools all the time, kids are taught what it is, not why it is. They're taught knowledge as opposed to the quest for knowledge. And it's why everyone my age is so similar to one another now. Abstract thinking is frowned upon. And I can only imagine how intimidating it might be for an old-school hard nosed football guy to be questioned or challenged by a well-off, 21-year-old Southern California kid that believes in his own intellect.

Jesus this is a great point, isn't this what you want out of your leader? In my experience as a coach/teacher, these guys give much more of an effort when they know their fit in the whole scheme of things and their individual position as opposed to just knowing an individual play. This is why you teach them the whole, not just the part. The problem is, there are a lot of insecure coaches who don't want to seem like they don't have 100% control, a secure coach welcomes constructive questions and an open dialect between player and coach. If you are opposed to your franchise QB asking "why" (which is the most important aspect, its not the actual play, its the why) you don't need to be in that position as a coach.

11 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I like Allbright. He has great insight, but I'm gonna have to disagree here. 

For one, the dude is a HUGE Baker Mayfield supporter, which is fine, but I think it comes with bias towards the other QB's in trying to convince viewers of his point of view.

Secondly, these concerns were quickly disputed. Is Rosen stubborn? Absolutely. But he is a proven leader, ask his college and high school teammates about him going above and beyond for his teams. Coachability? Why? Because he speaks his mind? There's zero evidence to support this.

Whether he is the best choice for the Browns is another debate in itself, but in this case, don't hate Rosen for all the wrong reasons please.

Archived