Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

21 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Oh, and with Tremaine Edmunds, if we drafted him, it would be almost assuredly to replace Jamie Collins. Collins has a big contract and hasn't played up to it even remotely. I don't think we need to replace Collins, but assuming we wanted to upgrade a LB spot, it would be Collins. And Tremaine Edmunds' best position is SLB actually.

Hasn’t played up to it? He just signed it last year and was playing well until he had the knee injury cut his season short. Gtfo with that take

18 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Hasn’t played up to it? He just signed it last year and was playing well until he had the knee injury cut his season short. Gtfo with that take

Was just abou to say that. 

When Collins was healthy he was I thought our best defensive player in 2016 and 1B this year to Garrett who was having a lot of rookie issues. 

Edmunds is just one of those players we shouldn’t take. 

Might be Anthony Barr might be Aaron Curry 

I’d rather take Chubb Davenport or Josh Jackson

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Was just abou to say that. 

When Collins was healthy he was I thought our best defensive player in 2016 and 1B this year to Garrett who was having a lot of rookie issues. 

Edmunds is just one of those players we shouldn’t take. 

Might be Anthony Barr might be Aaron Curry 

I’d rather take Chubb Davenport or Josh Jackson

Collins was pretty invisible for the most part but he is very talented. For playing every snap and having good tackle totals Kirksey and Schobert didn't really jump off of the page either but I think all three were solid or better. I have no issues keeping our starting front 7 intact. The secondary needs probably 2 new starters and the offense will have some holes to fill in. If we could be a little more aggressive with the pass rush, not necessarily blitzing more, I think we'd see more impact plays from the front 7. It would also help the secondary. Let the ends pass rush from the edge more (Garrett did but Ogbah stunted more often, let the big guys take care of that and get after the QB.

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

I actually remember how athletic Collins was coming out of Southern Miss. He was projected to be a pass rusher, which he flashed talents there with New England at times, they just didn't use him for that purpose much. He is able to stop the run, rush the pass, and he also is pretty solid in pass coverage. With how much passing takes place in the NFL now, I could see quite a few plays each game with that group of guys on the field at the same time. 

Boddy-Calhoun/Rookie FS/Tier 1 FA

McCourty                                                       Tier 1 FA/Early Drafted CB

Peppers

Edmunds                Schobert            Kirksey          

Garrett            Ogunjobi          Ogbah      Collins

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Collins was pretty invisible for the most part but he is very talented. For playing every snap and having good tackle totals Kirksey and Schobert didn't really jump off of the page either but I think all three were solid or better. I have no issues keeping our starting front 7 intact. The secondary needs probably 2 new starters and the offense will have some holes to fill in. If we could be a little more aggressive with the pass rush, not necessarily blitzing more, I think we'd see more impact plays from the front 7. It would also help the secondary. Let the ends pass rush from the edge more (Garrett did but Ogbah stunted more often, let the big guys take care of that and get after the QB.

I think the players in front of the LBs and behind them really hurt that group. The youth showed and they got pushed around at times. I think with another year under the belts of the DL, they should greatly improved. I also think the secondary didnt help them at all. I thnk the passing defense from that unit sucked it called for the LBs to cover for too long and gave huge holes for QBs to find. To me when the DL was playing great or the secondary was playing great, you saw the LBs making plays and flying around.

I would love the Browns to sign the best safety possible in FA and try and draft one of the best DBs in the draft; jackson or ward

19 hours ago, buno67 said:

He misses a ton of tackles and definitely freelances out there. PFF is not the be-all-end-all, but he was rated as one of the worst LB's in the league. I don't think he's anywhere near that bad, but he has been underwhelming to me. He's a great fit for our defense because he can blitz and play fast and loose, but he misses a lot of tackles and struggles to cover. He's a splash play linebacker which I don't really like.

His contract is that of a top 5 LB'er. If you believe he's a top 5 LB'er, I don't know what to tell you other than you should start watching football.

9 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think as long as Josh Gordon stays clean 

after Cousins I think we need to go after Lamarcus Joyner to be our FS 

thats my number 1 target

last year it was Zeitler so I'm hoping we come through again

So the question I ask about Joyner is he played in Greg Williams system and Greg played him at CB instead of FS.

I would be interested to know who's decision that was and who's decision it was to move him over to FS because he was less than stellar as a CB and hes played admirably at the FS role.

Would he fit back with Greg as a FS?

That's my only concern because I loved watching Joyner play this year.

13 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

We should have no discussion about anyone who isn't a QB, RB, WR, pass rusher, or DB. 

Taking a LB would be a luxury pick at this point. 

I mean I agree with this to a certain extent.

We have a solid foundation, and tons of cap space.  Say we sign a FS (Joyner/Boston) and a CB (Fuller/Butler/Johnson) and then a few players for lesser money to help starting positions or depth like Carlos Hyde? like Terrell Pryor?  They want to win now I could see a RB at 27 coming cheep, Pryor coming back for less money to prove himself again and spending big money on those 2 defensive backs.  Then we take a QB 1 overall and can use the draft to draft the best players available after that.  LB isn't a need but if its the best player available its hard to argue.  I probably wouldn't take an offensive Guard...but aside from that I like the idea of taking players that don't just help our team now but help depth and replacements for years.  OT isn't a current need (we don't think) but an eventual replacement for Joe wouldn't be a terrible thing if one of the big ones slip to 33.  A pass rusher isn't an immediate needs but certainly wouldn't hurt.  No one is arguing for an elite TE but if Hurst is available late second I would pull the trigger.  

I don't want to draft only needs and hamper our growth to what we have.  I would love to see us draft who we think is the strength of this draft and make our team better by just adding better players and give us the luxary of a STUD MLB and Schobert coming off the bench for when we need him or when an injury comes up.

Moral of the story is with all this cap space and the metric f-ton of picks we have, we have the flexibility to both talk about and draft players who may not be an immediate need but might be absolute studs in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Reginaldm9 said:

We should have no discussion about anyone who isn't a QB, RB, WR, pass rusher, or DB. 

Taking a LB would be a luxury pick at this point. 

I totally agree, but in the same breath I as much cap space/draft capital we have, I feel like we can at least draft a guy who our scouts deem a guy with enough talent to eventually replace/upgrade Schobert/Kirksey.

Also, I really don't get the Chubb talk, he is good but we easily could get a situational pass rusher for a decent who wouldn't have to go through so much of a learning curve in FA like Adrian Clayborne, Kony Ealy, Dion Jordan, Cassius Marsh. Or draft a guy later to be a pass rush guy like Arden Key, Dorance Armstrong, Josh Sweat, Duke Ejiofor, Tyquan Lewis, Jayln Holmes, Chad Thomas.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There is no position on this team other than G that would be a luxury imo.

Yep I agree. If the guy sitting there is an upgrade over whoever we have you take heem. Drafting for need is a bad idea. Unless obviously you think he can be a really good player. 

Archived