Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

17 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm trying to figure out how to tell you thanks for your time but this is literally hilariously awful in all three situations. Truly horrible.

OR

Chase you out of here for blatantly trolling

Lulz... Be nice. He is new to the boards. 

I kind of like Josey Jewell in the 4th. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

23 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Lulz... Be nice. He is new to the boards. 

I kind of like Josey Jewell in the 4th. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

That would be a great idea, I like him. I would like any of these guys in the 4th

Mike McCray

Jack Cichy

Tegray Scales

Shaun Dion-Hamilton

Nick Deluca

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Quenton Nelson is an incredible prospect.

It always seems like my favorite prospects always go to teams other than mine.:(

On 2/14/2018 at 2:19 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

That's a very good point Kiwi. One I definitely agree with in general. You have to be careful not to mistake fantastic open field ability for an elite NFL RB. You are spot on in that regard.

Where I personally differ is I don't think Barkley is in that McCaffrey/Bush category. They are/were 200lbs soaking wet whereas Barkley is in that wheelhouse athletically but supposedly 30lbs heavier.

I think you have a valid argument though as one thing that does concern me a bit about Barkley is he doesn't always play with a ton of power. Earlier in the season I expressed the same concern as you about him being bottled up for no gains and then busting the big one to sort his ypc out. Generally I also don't like that because whilst it shows he can make the big play, it also can contribute to a lot of 3rd and longs.

Watching him more though, I do lean towards him being a gamechanging, complete back rather than the glorified slot WR type.

reading this little break down was interesting. See his tweet thread on this, so you can see where he compares over the past couple seasons. If I was on my computer I would post them. 

The Bills are supposedly enamoured with Josh Rosen. I personally don't see how they get it done. The Giants seem like a good fit for him at 2.

The Colts pick is really shaping up to be the swing pick.

1. Cleveland - Sam Darnold

2. NYG - Josh Rosen

3. Indy - ?

If Indy take Saquon, that puts us in prime position to trade that 4th pick for the QB haul to a team needing to jump the Broncos and Jets.

If Indy trade the pick for the QB haul themselves, Saquon is there for us.

If Indy take Chubb, we have the option of taking Saquon or leveraging the 4th pick to drop back a touch and still get Saquon/Minkah/whoever your top guy is.

If the draft falls as it should early on, we are in a really strong position of power.

On 13/02/2018 at 11:45 PM, MWil23 said:

I could at least live with that scenario.

Could live with ? Cousins + Barkley + Chubb + Oliver + Kirk + change Harrison for an OT (Crosby for ex) and i think it would be a great off-season !

Great does not mean perfect. Cousins isn't Rodgers but good enough. Barkley isn't perfect, too much lateral runs looking for a big play and no gain ! But can make big plays inside and outside and can catch. Chubb is not Garrett (lol) and no Bosa but can rush the passer and defend the run. I prefer Chubb to Fitzpatrick or any player available at this point. A rotation Chubb/Ogbah would be great opposite of Myles, especially if the three young guys inside confirm promises showed last year next to Shelton. Oliver looks like to me a fairly good CB and we talk about a 2nd round pick so there is value for him there. I like Kirk but he is not the WR i'd covet for the team as id prefer a bigger one to play outside, not a slot's one but okay, end of the 2nd i would not be mad. Harrison is a good safety but top of the second take an OT and id be really fine with these moves. Just an opinion. And a question : Who would like at #4 ?

Browns Sign:

QB Kirk Cousins

WR Jarvis Landry

Browns Trade:

#1 to the Jets for #6, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 2019 3rd.

#4 to the Bills for #21, #22, 5th, 2019 5th.

#6, 3rd to the Cardinals for #15, CB Patrick Peterson

#21, 2nd, 2nd to the Redskins for #13.

NFL DRAFT:

1-Jets-Rosen QB

2-Giants-Barkley RB

3-Broncos-trade up 4 Darnold QB

4-Bills-Mayfield QB

5-Colts-Chubb DE

6-Cardinals-Allen QB

7-Buccaneers-Davenport DE

8-Bears-Ridley WR

9-Raiders-Edmunds LB

10-49ers-Nelson OG

11-Dolphins-Ward CB

12-Bengals-Fitzpatrick DB

13-BROWNS----DERWIN JAMES FS Florida State

14-Packers-Evans MLB

15-BROWNS-JOSH JACKSON CB IOWA

16-Ravens-Smith MLB

17-Chargers-Williams OT

18-Seahawks-McGlinchey OT

19-Cowboys-Vea NT

20-Lions-Key DE

21-Redskins-Harrison SS

22-BROWNS--LAMAR JACKSON QB LOUISVILLE

Browns Draft:

#13--Derwin James FS Florida State

#15--Josh Jackson CB Iowa

#22--Lamar Jackson QB Loisville

2nd--Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh

2nd--Dorance Armstrong DE Kansas

3rd--Nick Chubb RB Georgia

3rd--Jerome Baker LB Ohio State

4th--Holton Hill CB Texas

4th--Skai Moore WLB South Carolina

5th--Antonio Callaway WR Florida

5th--Jester Weah WR Pittsburgh

5th--Kalen Ballage RB Arizona State

6th--Dimitri Flowers FB Oklahoma

6th--Braxton Berrios WR Miami Fl.

7th--Matthew Thomas MLB Florida State

Browns Roster:

QB: Cousins/Jackson/Kizer

RB: Chubb/Johnson/Ballage

FB: Flowers

WR: Gordon/Landry/Coleman/Weah/Callaway/Berrios

TE: Njoku/DeValve/Telfer

LT: Thomas/O'Neill

LG: Bitonio/Martin

C: Tretter/Reiter

RG: Zeitler/Drango

RT: Coleman/Johnson

LE: Ogbah/Nassib

DT: Shelton/Ogunjobi/Coley/Brantley

RE: Garrett/Armstrong

WLB: Kirksey/Moore

MLB: Schobert/Baker/Thomas

SLB: Collins/Burgess

CB: Peterson/Jackson/Boddy-Calhoun/Taylor/Hill/Wilson

FS: James/McCourty

SS: Peppers/Kindred

K: Gonzales

P: Colquitt

KR: James/Peppers

PR: Peterson/Peppers

I know this won't happen, but this roster wins 9+ games. This defense would be as good as anyone's. Not the biggest Lamar Jackson fan, but he's a worthwhile wild-card. Oh, and for our nickel package, Peppers moves to the NCB role, James goes to SS, and McCourty comes in at FS.

On 2/13/2018 at 2:49 PM, Mastercheddaar said:

Theoretical question- I'm sick of these talking head mocks where we pick Fitzpatrick at #4. They then say he is super talented and can play any position!!!! :S It seem lazy to me.

My question is this: If Barkley and Chubb are both gone at #4. AND no one wants to trade with us. Would Fitz be BPA at that point or  who would you rather we draft someone else? Personally I cannot justify using the #4 overall pick in the draft for a player that is a safety. It would be like drafting Nelson. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar  

Since there aren't any sure things, and with a 2nd top five pick, I think you just go with what you think will be a really good player regardless of positional value. Since we just paid a **** ton for an interior OL last year and have a pretty good one on the other side, Minkah would probably be both BPA and a position of need. He'd line up at FS but he could wipe out most TE's man to man. He could blanket a slot or outside guy man to man. "Just a safety" is underestimating him.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:13 PM, TheeRealDeal said:

Plays high and tackles even higher. He wins with raw strength right now and that will not happen in the NFL. No doubt he looks dominant and makes a ton of plays but it is how he is doing it that has me more than concerned. He obviously gets the idea of stacking and shedding but he stands far too tall and peaks into the backfield to see what is going on and then powers the lineman off of him. In the NFL when an OL gets into his chest he is going to drive him back which actually already happens far too often for Vita Vea as it is as the college level. Once he does shed the blocker and sets sights on the runner he is almost always(at least 85% of the time) tackling heads and shoulders. Again in the NFL that is going to leads to a lot of missed tackles.

There is no denying that Vita Vea possess the elite traits of strength, power, size and foot quickness to be a great NFL player. It is his poor form and terrible technique that has me second guessing him as a prospect. Too often guys like him who have always relied on their own abilities too much never seem to break that trend once in the league.

I do not have time to break down the film play by play for you but honestly I don't think I need too. Anyone with youtube and an unbiased opinion with see exactly what his flaws are after watching 5 minutes of him.

Chris Jones, Dontari Poe, Danny Shelton would disagree.

Vea doesn't always play high and undisciplined. He's shown just about everything you want to see at one time or another. He's a freak specimen. He's already got a jump on most guys because of his physical advantage. It's up to coaching to prompt to him play with better technique all the time. I'll wager heavily he's more Haloti Ngata/Dontari Poe than Broderick Bunkley/Amobi Okoye.

On 2/14/2018 at 2:09 AM, Kiwibrown said:

I am completely off Barkley at 4. this is due o his lack of contact balance. I really love excellent RB's. Adrian Peterson, Zeke Elliot and Todd Gurleys are worth top  picks no doubt. 
But guys that don't finish runs, Bush, McFadden, Chris johnson and McCaffery are not worth high picks in my mind. 
they are great utility players, but if you can't put the team on their back they are not worth it.

If they are not good in the A and B gaps and not good to enough to turn 1 yard runs into 2 yarders then they are not worth it IMO. 

they are basically glorified slot WR's. a stat line of runs of 1,2,2,3,4,2,1, -1 and then 40 yards that lead to a good YPC are still good for the offence IMO. 

you need guys that consistently get 3-4 yards.

Barkley as a true freshman. If you want him to push a pile he will.

The video showed absolutely nothing good or bad when it comes to contact balance. And pushing a pile? Barkley gains 1 entire yard after contact. If that is what gets you excited about football then maybe we should just bring back the good ole wing T. We can also draft a lumbering TE at #33 and run exclusively out of double tight and we'll shorter our splits down to foot to foot. Ricardo Louis could be the 4 back he's explosive with the ball in his hands and we wouldn't have to worry to much about running routes or catching passes anymore. Duke Johnson would be the 2 back and Saquan Barkley would be the main attraction at the 3 back. It eliminates the need for a WR and heck we could even pass on a QB at #1. 

Haloti Ngata and Dontari Poe are not even close to on the same level. I can very easily see Vita Vea having a Dontari Poe type career. I would agree with that 100% because Poe is extremely inconsistent. In now way to I think Vita Vea is going to bust out and I never once said he would, but he is far far from an elite prospect like some what to believe. He has clear issues that jump right off the screen. I do think he is going to have a long career in the NFL because of his off the charts effort. He will do good things in his career as well but the he is no sure fire stud prospect and in no way should we ever consider him at #4 or even in a trade down in the Top 10. I'd also seriously consider Da'Ron Payne over him if I were a team in need of a DT. 

On 2/14/2018 at 2:09 AM, Kiwibrown said:

I am completely off Barkley at 4. this is due o his lack of contact balance. I really love excellent RB's. Adrian Peterson, Zeke Elliot and Todd Gurleys are worth top  picks no doubt. 
But guys that don't finish runs, Bush, McFadden, Chris johnson and McCaffery are not worth high picks in my mind. 
they are great utility players, but if you can't put the team on their back they are not worth it.

If they are not good in the A and B gaps and not good to enough to turn 1 yard runs into 2 yarders then they are not worth it IMO. 

they are basically glorified slot WR's. a stat line of runs of 1,2,2,3,4,2,1, -1 and then 40 yards that lead to a good YPC are still good for the offence IMO. 

you need guys that consistently get 3-4 yards. 

He has a lack of contact balance? Seen him make some great plays breaking the tackles from a run play or a pass play. This past season Barkley wasn’t great running inside but that was more so because his interior offensive line was garbage. There G-C-G was complete garbage. Usually when they were able to execute a blocking scheme he lit it up. He might of never been known as a RB to finish off a run but I don’t think he was ever coached up to do that. With the speed Barkley has and how nasty his jump cut is, he always tried to make the tackler miss instead of just running them over. I posted a tweet earlier in this thread and says Barkley over the past three years had the highest miss tackle forced rate. If you are a stud at making ppl miss, why punish yourself. Heck means he has taken less true punishment and could have a longer shelf life. I also love the fact that over the past 3 years he is rated as the 2nd best Pass blocking RB at 93%. Zeke was at 94%

13 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The video showed absolutely nothing good or bad when it comes to contact balance. And pushing a pile? Barkley gains 1 entire yard after contact. If that is what gets you excited about football then maybe we should just bring back the good ole wing T. We can also draft a lumbering TE at #33 and run exclusively out of double tight and we'll shorter our splits down to foot to foot. Ricardo Louis could be the 4 back he's explosive with the ball in his hands and we wouldn't have to worry to much about running routes or catching passes anymore. Duke Johnson would be the 2 back and Saquan Barkley would be the main attraction at the 3 back. It eliminates the need for a WR and heck we could even pass on a QB at #1. 

Haloti Ngata and Dontari Poe are not even close to on the same level. I can very easily see Vita Vea having a Dontari Poe type career. I would agree with that 100% because Poe is extremely inconsistent. In now way to I think Vita Vea is going to bust out and I never once said he would, but he is far far from an elite prospect like some what to believe. He has clear issues that jump right off the screen. I do think he is going to have a long career in the NFL because of his off the charts effort. He will do good things in his career as well but the he is no sure fire stud prospect and in no way should we ever consider him at #4 or even in a trade down in the Top 10. I'd also seriously consider Da'Ron Payne over him if I were a team in need of a DT. 

Kiwi was arguing specifically that Barkley doesn't finish his runs. He can and has. There's nothing exciting about that video, he runs over a guy in the hole and gains 1 to 2 extra yards.

Agreed pretty much on Vea then. And I don't why the Browns should be considering him at all.

After your critique of Vea I'm surprised you'd consider Payne over him. I think Payne is a 3 Tech rusher in the body of a 0 NT. He's not the run defender he looks like he should be and gets clobbered vs the double. If both guys played with proper technique I'm easily taking Vea first.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What are you seeing that I’m not? He picked up one additional yard after contact.

I didn’t see anything there that literally every running back in the nation couldn’t do.

Again...Kiwi was arguing specifically that Barkley doesn't finish his runs. He can and has. There's nothing exciting about that video, he runs over a guy in the hole and gains 1 to 2 extra yards.

Barkley can run behind his pads. He just chooses to jump cut a lot and often gets too high through the hole. I think it's a coaching thing. He's shown remarkable balance and power at times, he just prefers to Barry Sanders around.

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Boy you guys are picky. We don't want Saquon Barkley at #4 but are going to accept Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick at those slots? Wow.

Not me.

I want to trade it for a boatload of picks, and maybe a player.

That's the highest value of the pick.

Archived