Where would prime Eli Manning rank among current QBs?

CP3MVP

Where would prime Eli Rank today?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Prime Eli Manning’s rank among current QBs

• Top 5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • Outside of Top 20

Another part in my series. I’ve asked about the following QBs like prime Russ, Rivers, Ryan, Romo, Ben. What about Eli.

so let’s say you put prime/peak Eli in todays NFL, where would be rank among current Qbs. His peak season was 2011

Edited by CP3MVP

His career high passer rating would put him tied for 11th this year. So I'm going with 11-15.

He had 14 seasons where he was the starter all season. 5 times he had a rating over 90. He won 9, 8, 6, 6 and 5 games those seasons. Of his 9 other seasons in which he had a rating below 90 there were 5 years that he won 10 games or more. So until the playoffs, he was really just along for the ride.

On 12/25/2023 at 6:10 AM, minutemancl said:

Top 5 for sure. We'd be taking a hall of game QB, in his prime, into 2023, where QB play across the league is underwhelming. Easily top 5. 

This is laughable. You could make an argument for 6-10 but I went for 11-15. Eli is really not a great QB and his 'prime' wasn't that good. 

I voted for 11-15 but I could make an honest case for prime 2011 Eli to be top 10. I think his durability would boost his value but on the other hand the current league wide emphasis on QB's being a duel threat would hurt him. I just seen that man take absolute beatings on the field. Monster sacks... helmet ends up on sideways and just gets up and goes back to work. In the right system in todays NFL I think he could excel and be top 10. 

Mahomes
Hurts
Tua
Burrow
Dak
Allen
Lamar
Herbert

I'd start my argument somewhere around here in the Goff, Kyler, Purdy, Lawrence area

19 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I voted for 11-15 but I could make an honest case for prime 2011 Eli to be top 10. I think his durability would boost his value but on the other hand the current league wide emphasis on QB's being a duel threat would hurt him. I just seen that man take absolute beatings on the field. Monster sacks... helmet ends up on sideways and just gets up and goes back to work. In the right system in todays NFL I think he could excel and be top 10. 

Mahomes
Hurts
Tua
Burrow
Dak
Allen
Lamar
Herbert

I'd start my argument somewhere around here in the Goff, Kyler, Purdy, Lawrence area

You think prime Eli Manning isnt better than current Tua or Hurts? Interesting

I kinda view prime Eli as current Dak Prescott. A guy who is more than capable of winning you any game with his arm but the conditions needs to be just right around him for it to happen. 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You think prime Eli Manning isnt better than current Tua or Hurts? Interesting

I kinda view prime Eli as current Dak Prescott. A guy who is more than capable of winning you any game with his arm but the conditions needs to be just right around him for it to happen. 

It's tricky because the question is "prime" Eli which is leaving out all the mediocre seasons he had. I'd argue he had four top 5 ish statistical seasons 2010, 2011, 2014, and 2015. 2021 those stats would have put him fringe top 10. Last season arguably top 5, this season def top 5. This just seems like a really fluky season for QB play. Hurts I'd argue for based on his ground production and last year was a true MVP worthy season (not something Eli ever put up). Tua is arguable see how he finishes out the year. I didn't realize how much his production had fallen off recently 

It 100% depends on what you consider prime Eli. Eli in his prime was so streaky that he was liable to lead the league in interceptions and be mediocre one year and then be near top 5 another year. 

Like Eli in his best year is better than Allen this year. Nobody would take Eli over Allen if given the choice if you got to have prime Eli all over again.

51 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It 100% depends on what you consider prime Eli. Eli in his prime was so streaky that he was liable to lead the league in interceptions and be mediocre one year and then be near top 5 another year. 

Like Eli in his best year is better than Allen this year. Nobody would take Eli over Allen if given the choice if you got to have prime Eli all over again.

So you would take 2011 Eli over current Allen?

Nah cause when you add in the 400 ground yards and 13 rushing TDS Allen is the overall better QB. This is the conundrum with these comparisons. Todays offenses are so focused on dual threat QB's. A strictly pocket passer like Eli would be a rare specimen. 

Edited by Shockwave