Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

Cousins is a bittersweet QB experience.   He's won some games and he's blown games inexplicably.   It's taken him a long time to get on track, and I'm not saying losses are all his fault.  I think he finally got comfortable in the pocket.   He was dealing, but paying the man roughly $80,000 per pass . . . It's too much when ya look at fumbles and seriously untimely picks.   

Part of me says have some compassion and give him another 2 years.   My financially conservative side says to cut him loose.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 5:42 AM, Robb_K said:

THIS year is the best time to get the QB, and making him sit for 2 years and waste 2-years of his low-cost window would be a disaster. 

That's never been my personal position.  I think, in most cases, it's better for a QB to sit at least most of his rookie year, if not all.  I've always been a proponent of bringing back Kirk essentially on a 1-yr deal (although it will likely be a 2-3 yr deal officially) and starting the drafted QB in 2025.  I don't view it as a disaster for the guy to sit.  If he's the right guy, it won't matter if you lose one year of a rookie deal.  This team isn't set to compete for the SB in 2024 anyhow...2025 has generally been the goal to begin a true run because they'll have their cap situation completely in control at that point.  Let the Lions have their run now and the Packers be giddy with Love's performance (I still absolutely hate his footwork...the Cowboys defense looked worse than the Vikings' did), it will come to an end in 2025. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is there any chance that Cousins would sign a deal that the Vikings can get out of after 1 year? Especially knowing that they'll probably draft a qb early

If he still gets paid, I don't know why not.  There's always the possibility that they could trade him, ala Alex Smith, after 1 year anyway.  There's no reason for them to do a Dak Prescott-type deal where they lose leverage. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is there any chance that Cousins would sign a deal that the Vikings can get out of after 1 year? Especially knowing that they'll probably draft a qb early

we really don't know what's inside his head now, and when his family motivations will override career aspirations for him, as both have been strong. he's already stated money is not the main motivator any more.

does he want to "gift" the Vikings a situation where he plays for a year and retires? who knows?

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There's always the possibility that they could trade him, ala Alex Smith, after 1 year anyway. 

i'll offer the suggestion that if Kirk makes concessions to the execs to help the team, he'll still want a no trade clause.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll offer the suggestion that if Kirk makes concessions to the execs to help the team, he'll still want a no trade clause.

That's probably true...but he may waive it if they decide to start the new guy, so they'd still have some flexibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think it will easier to get that kind of contract now following his significant injury and being a year older. It still might not happen, but the front office would be wise to explore this option with Kirk.

On 1/16/2024 at 9:36 AM, swede700 said:

If he still gets paid, I don't know why not.  There's always the possibility that they could trade him, ala Alex Smith, after 1 year anyway.  There's no reason for them to do a Dak Prescott-type deal where they lose leverage. 

But would some team like Atlanta come in and offer a3 year deal? 

Maybe teams will be scared by his injury and he'll sign a 1 year prove it deal for 35 million

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:22 AM, vikesfan89 said:

Doubtful, if you mean “get out” without still having a big commitment on the books. Kirk is the top available FA in 2024. He is getting paid by someone

• Like 1

I think Kirk will get paid. I think they can structure the contract in a way that, if they are able to trade him next year, it would be a manageable hit and still get him paid with his new team. I think Kirk would want veto power over that trade, and I think they'd give it to him.

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

I don't think getting "paid" is Kirk's primary objective at this point.  His primary objective is going to be a good situation. That will for sure include a no-trade clause.

If he wants a no trade clause, I hope MN doesn’t commit to anything more than two years. I’m fine sticking with Kirk for two more years, at least that gives us a two draft outlook to find his replacement. Having a rookie QB sit for one vs two years doesn’t make much difference at the end of the day. As long as they aren’t old like Jaren Hall. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

I don't think getting "paid" is Kirk's primary objective at this point.  His primary objective is going to be a good situation. That will for sure include a no-trade clause.

Agreed. Though not getting paid still means over thirty million...

• Like 1