2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 7/21/2024 at 6:13 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Zero chance of this happening but if you were our GM would you trade Adams straight up for Aiyuk?  He is 26 and would be getting paid similar to what we are paying Adams.  

I would. IF you could agree to a contract extension with Aiyuk before the trade that he would sign when he gets here. 

• Like 1

I got some heat for calling this free agency underwhelming. 

Gallup just retired. He didn't last long. 

I'll say it again, Wilkins was a fantastic signing, but we really didn't do anything else that really is going to help this team other than a few depth guys. 

I had high hopes for Telesco and believed him at face value when he said he was going to be aggressive in free agency and the draft in his first year, but as it stands it's looking VERY "Telesco-ish": I.E.- top heavy talent that will stick (Bowers and Wilkins) and a high chance no one else brought on sees a second stint with this team.  Hope I'm wrong, but I haven't been very impressed this far.

...and honestly I'm not even sure how I feel about that. If we find 2-3 guys a year that's top talent it's not a bad thing. Chargers always had a fantastic starting team and probably would be highly regarded if not for chronic injuries almost every year (honestly their medical team must be bad, right?!) and coaching 

12 hours ago, NickButera said:

I got some heat for calling this free agency underwhelming. 

Gallup just retired. He didn't last long. 

I'll say it again, Wilkins was a fantastic signing, but we really didn't do anything else that really is going to help this team other than a few depth guys. 

I had high hopes for Telesco and believed him at face value when he said he was going to be aggressive in free agency and the draft in his first year, but as it stands it's looking VERY "Telesco-ish": I.E.- top heavy talent that will stick (Bowers and Wilkins) and a high chance no one else brought on sees a second stint with this team.  Hope I'm wrong, but I haven't been very impressed this far.

...and honestly I'm not even sure how I feel about that. If we find 2-3 guys a year that's top talent it's not a bad thing. Chargers always had a fantastic starting team and probably would be highly regarded if not for chronic injuries almost every year (honestly their medical team must be bad, right?!) and coaching 

give me a difference maker over 3-4 solid guys. I think Tom approach this year was letting Pierce run it back with his team. I bet Pierce sold Mark Davis that the team is close in order to get the job. Pierce contract isn't much, I kinda expect a new head coach to bring in their QB next year. 

On 7/21/2024 at 9:13 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Zero chance of this happening but if you were our GM would you trade Adams straight up for Aiyuk?  He is 26 and would be getting paid similar to what we are paying Adams.  

Yep. 100% only if the contract is worked out beforehand. 

Aiyuk is gonna be a star for the foreseeable future. Adams could justifiably retire in the next year or two. 

I think Adams is the better overall player, but I actually like Aiyuk's game a tad bit more. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:43 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm happy we didn't "win" free agency personally.

We got the guy we needed. One potential "top" DT >>>> anything else for this team. Wilkins is good. Idk if I'd consider him a true "elite" pro bowl caliber DT, but he's young enough that I can see him making another leap playing alongside Koonce/Crosby/Butler (and maybe Tyree).

FWIW, Wilkins is very good against the run and having a well rounded player to also force more 3rd and longs never hurts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We got the guy we needed. One potential "top" DT >>>> anything else for this team. Wilkins is good. Idk if I'd consider him a true "elite" pro bowl caliber DT, but he's young enough that I can see him making another leap playing alongside Koonce/Crosby/Butler (and maybe Tyree).

FWIW, Wilkins is very good against the run and having a well rounded player to also force more 3rd and longs never hurts.

I think Wilkins is a top 5 DT. We haven't had a really good DT since Tommy Kelly/Richard Seymour days 

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think Wilkins is a top 5 DT. We haven't had a really good DT since Tommy Kelly/Richard Seymour days 

Even if he's not top 5, he's young and definitely top 10/15 and that's a huge win.

We should sign Corey Davis... sat out last year, still under 30. He's not a WR1 but has talent. We could probably get him for under 5m and we are sitting on over 30m. Would give us insurance and flexibility at the trade deadline 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Even if he's not top 5, he's young and definitely top 10/15 and that's a huge win.

I think the top 5 Dt are 

1. Chris Jones 

2. Quinnen Williams

3. Javon Hargrave

4. Jeffrey Simmons

5. Christian Wilkins / Leonard Williams

there's a couple other guys but I think he's top 5. He's for sure top 10 

On 7/23/2024 at 11:42 PM, NickButera said:

I would. IF you could agree to a contract extension with Aiyuk before the trade that he would sign when he gets here. 

There’s a very real chance that he’s a product of that system, the box is stacked to stop the run and the TE is doubled.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think the top 5 Dt are 

1. Chris Jones 

2. Quinnen Williams

3. Javon Hargrave

4. Jeffrey Simmons

5. Christian Wilkins / Leonard Williams

there's a couple other guys but I think he's top 5. He's for sure top 10 

Dexter Lawrence is at least #5 here.  

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 11:55 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

They can use the majority of that money to redo contracts so they have more money next year. Plus then it  becomes survival of the fittest for everybody who’s contract runs out.

• Like 3