2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Because of the way they take breaks I can't say that I saw a lot of the drills for every player. One guy I saw do a few of them and liked as a potential lower round pick was Duke Dawson.  Lacks the flat out straight line speed of some of the other guys but looked really smooth in all the drills; seems to have really nice hands; and looks like a thumper.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Josh Jackson looks miserable in the drills? Zone cover man specific. Not that it's a major issue...I think a lot of people felt that way before the combine. 

How did he look miserable? I just watched his drills just now and for a high cut guy he had great hips and virtually no tightness. Caught every ball with ease and looked the part. 

20 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Because of the way they take breaks I can't say that I saw a lot of the drills for every player. One guy I saw do a few of them and liked as a potential lower round pick was Duke Dawson.  Lacks the flat out straight line speed of some of the other guys but looked really smooth in all the drills; seems to have really nice hands; and looks like a thumper.

I was just about to post about him, good eye. Timed pretty well and really impressed me during the drills also.

20 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Ward just had the biggest broadjump of this combine. Waiting to hear on his vert

The only thing about Ward that scares me is he's a 180 lbs CB that I think will get manhandled on the outside against legit #1 WRs in the pros. If your drafting a guy that high, he has to make his living on the outside, not the slot. Other than that, kid is a terrific athlete with excellent cover skills.

What position would Griffen play? WILL?

Also how do you guys feel about Josh Sweat? He's got the size, speed, and length to play SAM or LEO. Supposedly we're interested in him too. 

Lastly, any chance Billy Price falls to our second round pick with that injury? I'd love to grab him if we had the chance.

6 minutes ago, Geek said:

That's my question as well. Malcolm Smith is coming back, and many people already feel Foster would be best used at Will, so adding another Will doesn't make too much sense. Well... unless that guy is a clear improvement. Maybe he is an improvement on Smith. But if not, what is he? Don't we want someone a little bigger at Sam? Griffin is 227lbs. I don't know. I'm not sure about his fit. I feel like we'll focus on other positions and some other team will take him before we're ready to.

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

That's my question as well. Malcolm Smith is coming back, and many people already feel Foster would be best used at Will, so adding another Will doesn't make too much sense. Well... unless that guy is a clear improvement. Maybe he is an improvement on Smith. But if not, what is he? Don't we want someone a little bigger at Sam? Griffin is 227lbs. I don't know. I'm not sure about his fit. I feel like we'll focus on other positions and some other team will take him before we're ready to.

I don't mind taking a WILL in the middle rounds - there's no guarantee that Smith is actually good. We are sort of financially committed to having him on the roster, but a little competition never hurt anyone. But it also doesn't necessarily need to be a WILL. I love Josey Jewell - 2 down MLB with great instincts, then Foster can play clean up duty if we want at the WILL. That being said, I think that we need a SAM more than we need competition at the WILL right now, and potentially a MIKE while Foster is out. 

16 minutes ago, Geek said:

Also how do you guys feel about Josh Sweat? He's got the size, speed, and length to play SAM or LEO. Supposedly we're interested in him too. 

Lastly, any chance Billy Price falls to our second round pick with that injury? I'd love to grab him if we had the chance.

Sweat obviously has the athletic composite, but he never put it together on the field. Very underwhelming for whatever reason. He's got one knee injury on the torn ACL, and there have been concerns over that, so the medical check will be big. I like him in round 3 based on pure athletic upside. 

Billy price will depend on the severity of the injury. Right now, they're saying it is a partially torn pec, I think? And if that's the case, and no surgery is required, he may stumble a bit (no teams will have workout numbers on him and I doubt he'd be ready for pro day, which means Daniels has absolutely passed him up at minimum), but I think he's probably go in the early - mid second? If it requires surgery, I think there's a good chance he's there at two, maybe even later. Sydney Jones was probably viewed slightly higher as a prospect last year, and went in round 2 following his injury. So I'd get a similar to slightly lower range for Price if he's got a torn pec that requires surgery. 

I know we haven’t hit FA yet, but I’m getting that feeling that we may go after one of the safeties with our pick or trade back. I’m liking Derwin James more and more! Especially if we land one of the big corners in FA like Johnson or Fuller. 

16 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I know we haven’t hit FA yet, but I’m getting that feeling that we may go after one of the safeties with our pick or trade back. I’m liking Derwin James more and more! Especially if we land one of the big corners in FA like Johnson or Fuller. 

A safety with Colbert, Ward, and Tartt under contract? Two of those guys being first and second round picks themselves? Everyone would lose their s***. 

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

A safety with Colbert, Ward, and Tartt under contract? Two of those guys being first round picks themselves? 

The only one that’s going to be under contract after this year is Colbert and I doubt we pick up the 5th year option on Ward. Plus if Ward actually shows something then they could try James at corner (or safety depending on where Ward plays) since he has favorable measurements that we like. I would like to sign Tartt to an extension, but he could play in the box or vice versa with James. 

Ward was the only first round, granted I know we reached (or seemed like a reach) for Tartt, but he was a second round pick. Plus how many first round picks have we spend on the dline? :) 

All this talk about Griffen got me thinking about who he may compare to and I arrived at Shaq Thompson. I need to watch some Griffen play some, but his size and athleticism remind me of Thompson coming out. I believe Thompson plays SAM for the Panthers and that’d make me very nervous with Griffen due to him having to take on mor blocks. 

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Harold Landry at 9. I would prefer a trade back, but I'm not sure he would drop to Buffalo. I see Green Bay as possibly being one of the teams that takes Landry.

I'm not sure he has the ability to be an all around elite DE, but I think he could be a regular 10+ sack guy for a while. 

Archived