2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

13 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Yep. Should have clarified that. I'd go so far as to say I think he's gone after this year. Maybe it's just because I have so little confidence in him staying healthy.  But on the offchance he plays really well for a whole season then we might find his asking price too high. We have to be thinkiong about him and Brown as we plan the rest of this offseason. OT and S might be higher priorities than it seems to us.

Here is the difference between the front office proceeding like we are a playoff team, and building for the future. If we really expect brown to go elsewhere, I would imagine we would take a T pretty early to not miss a beat next year. Assuming health, that wouldn't actually help us this upcoming season, but it would certainly be beneficial in the long run. 

Personally, I am in favor of plugging immediate holes before we take a backup T or a FS. I think we should be trying to win this year. It's not like the positions I'm talking about will be worthless in year 2 and beyond.  Obviously Lynch and Kyle want to do this thing right, so they won't go overboard and will continue to make smart decisions. I think you and I see eye to eye on this one. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Here is the difference between the front office proceeding like we are a playoff team, and building for the future. If we really expect brown to go elsewhere, I would imagine we would take a T pretty early to not miss a beat next year. Assuming health, that wouldn't actually help us this upcoming season, but it would certainly be beneficial in the long run. 

Personally, I am in favor of plugging immediate holes before we take a backup T or a FS. I think we should be trying to win this year. It's not like the positions I'm talking about will be worthless in year 2 and beyond.  Obviously Lynch and Kyle want to do this thing right, so they won't go overboard and will continue to make smart decisions. I think you and I see eye to eye on this one. 

If we address OT early in the draft, though, as in finding a replacement for Brown, I don't see how we keep Brown. So it's not fixing a hole in 2019, after we let Brown walk. If we draft a replacement for him, we should trade him right away, while we can get something for him. I think Brown is still on the team because we don't have his replacement yet. Just like we had Kilgore on the roster just until we found his replacement. Granted, we didn't trade Kilgore for any value at all, but let's be real, we're talking about Daniel Kilgore. Trent Brown has more value. Or at least I hope. If he's not in the long term plans, we should be looking hard for his replacement right now.

17 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

If we address OT early in the draft, though, as in finding a replacement for Brown, I don't see how we keep Brown. So it's not fixing a hole in 2019, after we let Brown walk. If we draft a replacement for him, we should trade him right away, while we can get something for him. I think Brown is still on the team because we don't have his replacement yet. Just like we had Kilgore on the roster just until we found his replacement. Granted, we didn't trade Kilgore for any value at all, but let's be real, we're talking about Daniel Kilgore. Trent Brown has more value. Or at least I hope. If he's not in the long term plans, we should be looking hard for his replacement right now.

I think one of the scenarios that I saw, draft Connor Williams and play him at guard and then possibly make him the RT and move Brown over to LT once Staley retries. Granted if Williams plays well at guard just keep him there and just draft someone for our RT. Or like you mentioned trade Brown after we draft someone that we seem fits the mold. Decisions, decisions

Not getting all the "hate" for Brown on our forum... Like it's a forgone conclusion that he will be gone.

I do understand the trepidation but we got a late round bargain that has exceeded all expectations. Unless he is looking at a crazy renewal number, I'm just fine keeping him on the right side.

50 minutes ago, Psychlone said:

Not getting all the "hate" for Brown on our forum... Like it's a forgone conclusion that he will be gone.

I do understand the trepidation but we got a late round bargain that has exceeded all expectations. Unless he is looking at a crazy renewal number, I'm just fine keeping him on the right side.

I mean, i don't think we should just willy nilly move on from him, but I wouldn't consider him a long term piece. Which then begs the question, do we let him walk for nothing?

Brown is really terribly suited for our scheme when it comes to run blocking, and it showed. We can blame the IOL for all our problems in the run game, but he was one of the worst run blockers on our team. 

It really wouldn't surprise me if they start giving him a lot more looks at LT to see if that's somewhere he can transition too. 

1 hour ago, Psychlone said:

I don't think the forum hates him. I think most acknowledge he's a pretty good right tackle. Very good in pass protection, subpart in the run game. I think most would be happy to give him an extension. The thought of him being gone mostly stems from the belief that out staff doesn't like him very much I think 

4 hours ago, Psychlone said:

Perhaps fans are still traumatized by the Anthony Davis fiasco. In addition to negative rumors with this team didn't usually end well the last few seasons. So when some reporter drops even a hint of a problem with the coaching staff and player, people already chalked up the matter as an L/time to move on. That's my conspiracy theory anyway.

13 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I agree that OT is possibly way higher on the FO's list than we, fans, think. I don't know about S, though. Their value has decreased recently. Last year, we were arguing taking Hooker at 2, and he ended up at 15. I agree that James could be an upgrade over Ward in time, but I don't know that he'll be valued high enough to be taken at 9 by us or any team we'd trade with. Teams feel they can get very good production at S without having to invest so much in it. I read an article yesterday that mentioned the Bills safety duo (Hyde and Poyer), who led the league in INTs, while being paid a combined 6.5m. Sure, everyone would love to have an Ed Reed or a Troy Polamalu, but they'd much rather invest in two great cover corners and pass rushers, and invest less in their safeties. That's why very good safeties are still unsigned on the free agent market. We look at Eric Reid and may think it's because of his social activism, but when you look at the other free agent safeties still unsigned (the only one that has signed is Mathieu, really), we can see the market is just really cold. So sure, James might be an upgrade in the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the 20s. Teams will take riskier shots at pass rushers and CBs, and overlook a S that perhaps should have been drafted earlier. 

Anyway, I don't think Lynch will be looking to fix a hole for 2019. He'll focus on the 2018 holes first. And yes, I include OT as a 2018 hole, because I'm not convinced Trent Brown will be a niner by the end of the draft. 

Unless you think James can play CB (I do). I think he’d be an awesome fit in this defense at CB and definitely worth the no. 9 pick depending on who is available. His versatility is a huge asset and we certainly wouldn’t have to play him just as a single high safety or just at outside CB; we could move him all over the secondary. I like the idea of James at 9 more than Landry at 9. 

13 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Brown is a good OT. Even a realtively high pick rookie would not likely to be as good right off the bat. So if we are trying to win this year while still keeping an eye on the future we draft one this year to replace him next year.  Keep him for this year while we let the young guy develop. Then we let Brown go next year and have a guy that's ready to step in and replace him. That way we stay as competitive as possible this year and are prepared for the inevitable loss next year. That's the same as the guy who was mocking James to us. He can play behind Ward for a year. Then let Ward go and James would be ready to step in. The difference with Richburg and Kilgore is that Richburg is an experienced vet ready to step in and play right away.

13 hours ago, StevenK said:

I think one of the scenarios that I saw, draft Connor Williams and play him at guard and then possibly make him the RT and move Brown over to LT once Staley retries. Granted if Williams plays well at guard just keep him there and just draft someone for our RT. Or like you mentioned trade Brown after we draft someone that we seem fits the mold. Decisions, decisions

Yeah. I like this a lot.  It's still hard to know what our management really thinks of Brown. Also, that's good plan if we're picking 5 to 10 spots lower.

11 hours ago, Psychlone said:

Not seeing any "hate" here.  Just the normal concern that when rookie contracts are up teams often lose guys - compounded of course by the fact that we've extended some guys already but not him. It's more a matter of thinking about and planning for what we would do if we lose him than "hating" on him.

10 hours ago, John232 said:

I mean, i don't think we should just willy nilly move on from him, but I wouldn't consider him a long term piece. Which then begs the question, do we let him walk for nothing?

Brown is really terribly suited for our scheme when it comes to run blocking, and it showed. We can blame the IOL for all our problems in the run game, but he was one of the worst run blockers on our team. 

It really wouldn't surprise me if they start giving him a lot more looks at LT to see if that's somewhere he can transition too. 

But one of the best pass blockers, and maybe one of the best pass blocking RTs in the game.  With the improtance of passing, and of keeping your QB healthy if I had to choose between run blocking ability and pass blocking (although that's probably a false choice) I'd take the pass blocker. But I agree in general with what you are saying. That's why guys like o'Neill and Miller seem like potential OT targets for us and Orlando Brown doesn't.

Archived