Week 18- Packers vs. Bears regular season finale

Refugee

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

22 packages (one true WR) just look strange, even though there are still 5 possible receiving targets - if you don't count the infamous "Green Bay QB passes to himself !" plays - 🙂

They are very rare.  I had hopes of thunder and lightning with 28 and 33 able to run, catch and block but even if you have the talent to do it, taking a WR of the field in today’s game is pretty unheard of. 

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Watching this live, this was the play of the game from Love for me. The throw a few plays later to Kraft also very impressive, but this was the "3rd and 2-inside your own 10-can't punt it back to the Bears-game on the line" play and Love throws a bullet on the money to Reed in bracketed coverage. Masterful. 

Even the most jaded Love critic had to throw in the towel after watching that drive to close out the game.  That was big boy football, and Love was money through all of it.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Even the most jaded Love critic had to throw in the towel after watching that drive to close out the game.  That was big boy football, and Love was money through all of it.

Haven't seen clutch QB play like that in GB in too long

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

The whole running game is way better than when we were forced to turn to Dillon during the OL and Offense's worst stretch.

Dillon also had a nice game in there vs KC.

I'm just not sold on the "we need Jones he is a special player" narrative.  I think Dillon is underwhelming, Jones is definitely good.  But mostly the run production and improvement is OL oriented.  I think we would be doing just fine with devin singletary or Jaylen Warren or a number of other similar backs.

I think Warren would be great in this offense.  Haven't watched much of Singletary.  Any RB would be fine if the blocking is there, but GB better make some serious OL upgrades if the plan is to run with Dillon at RB1.  He gets very little that isn't blocked.  I honestly doubt that a healthy Dillon would have gotten half of the Jones yardage vs CHI.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Haven't seen the eating of crow from Stat King yet. Probably won't since he's probably not a real Packers fan. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Haven't seen the eating of crow from Stat King yet. Probably won't since he's probably not a real Packers fan. 

Allow me to adjust the goalposts for him....Love is in year 4 and has 0 playoff wins as a starter 

Edited by squire12
  • Like 2

Best, worst PFF scores.

Top 5 offense

1. QB Jordan Love: 83.0
2. RG Jon Runyan Jr.: 81.0
3. RB Aaron Jones: 80.4
4. WR Bo Melton: 77.7
5. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 76.6

Love chewed up the Bears from clean pockets, under pressure, against the blitz and off play-action. He was dinged for two turnover worthy plays, but he also completed eight passes of 10 or more yards. Runyan Jr. didn’t give up a pressure and was the team’s highest-graded run blocker over 31 snaps. Jones forced seven missed tackles and had four runs of 10 or more yards, and he created 10 first downs overall. Melton caught five passes for 62 yards on 25 routes run. He had a touchdown reversed on replay. Wicks caught two touchdown passes, two contested catches and averaged 2.26 yards per route run.

Top 5 defense

1. DL Karl Brooks: 89.4
2. LB Quay Walker: 76.1
3. DL Kenny Clark: 75.9
4. CB Jaire Alexander: 74.9
5. DL T.J. Slaton: 71.0

Brooks had three pressures, including a sack, and he finished with two tackles for losses over 17 snaps. Walker missed two tackles but produced three pressures, including a sack, and three stops. Clark led the team with five pressures. Alexander had a run stop and a pass breakup and gave up just one catch in coverage. Slaton added another run stop.

Bottom 5 offense

1. WR Romeo Doubs: 53.6
2. TE Ben Sims: 55.9
3. RB Patrick Taylor: 56.1
4. WR Malik Heath: 56.7
5. RG Sean Rhyan: 61.1

Doubs was unable to make a contested catch for a touchdown, and he left due to injury after 11 snaps. Sims didn’t have a target in the passing game and was only average as a run blocker. Taylor played 11 snaps but didn’t have a carry or a target. Heath was targeted four times and generated nine receiving yards over 10 routes. Rhyan was perfect in pass protection but received poor run blocking grades over his 31 snaps at right guard.

Bottom 5 defense

1. OLB Lukas Van Ness: 44.2
2. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 44.9
3. DL Devonte Wyatt: 50.9
4. CB Carrington Valentine: 54.1
5. CB Keisean Nixon: 62.0

Van Ness had a sack and a run stop, but he earned poor run defense grades over seven run-defending snaps on the edge. Enagbare had a hurry and a tackle for loss but got dinged for allowing a completion in coverage. Wyatt had four pressures, including a sack, but he missed another tackle and was below average against the run. Valentine broke up a pass but was charged with giving up three catches for 32 yards. Nixon allowed one explosive play but was otherwise solid.

Special teams

The Packers didn’t have a penalty on special teams and missed only one tackle (by running back Patrick Taylor). Jonathan Owens, Kristian Welch, Zayne Anderson and Robert Rochell all had tackles covering kickoffs, and Welch earned the top special teams grade overall. In the return game, Jayden Reed made two fair catches and Keisean Nixon returned one kick for 21 yards. Anders Carlson missed a field goal from 41 yards. Daniel Whelan wasn’t needed to punt.

Quarterback

Jordan Love: 83.0

Love completed 24 of 29 passes from clean pockets, 3 of 3 passes under pressure and 5 of 5 passes against the blitz. He had three “big time throws” and two “turnover worthy plays.” On throws over 10 yards, Love was 8-for-11. On throws off play-action, he was 8 of 8 for 148 yards and a touchdown. He got dinged for losing a fumble, and his heave into the end zone late in the first half was nearly intercepted. Love’s 90.3 passing grade was his third highest of the season overall.

Stat to know

Jordan Love was under pressure on just four of 34 dropbacks, or 11.8 percent. Justin Fields was under pressure on 15 of his 24 dropbacks, or 62.5 percent. The final sack total was Packers 5, Bears 1. Winning the pressure battle remains a big piece of the puzzle when it comes to playing winning football.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I agree that he will be back next year because of his current deal, but I'm worried about keeping him any longer than that.  Soon he will be older and expensive and all of a sudden a bad player.

we should use one of our top 3 or 4 picks on his replacement, we never use RD1 on a RB so maybe our 2nd rounder, Matt's schemes are more effective when a defense has to honor our ability to run the ball, night and day better, and the Jones type RB's offer so much more then a guy like Dillon, our PA takes off with a guy like Jones, lbers are lock step with Jones on the field, we gotta have that, Loves flourishes with that.

3 minutes ago, turf toe said:

we should use one of our top 3 or 4 picks on his replacement, we never use RD1 on a RB so maybe our 2nd rounder, Matt's schemes are more effective when a defense has to honor our ability to run the ball, night and day better, and the Jones type RB's offer so much more then a guy like Dillon, our PA takes off with a guy like Jones, lbers are lock step with Jones on the field, we gotta have that, Loves flourishes with that.

I agree that having a quick, good, decisive back is desirable. 

A back isn't going to make or break a team, and I get not investing big $$ or top picks.  If was guessing, I could see a 3rd round pick?  With Jones back on some restructure? 

I'm not at all obsessing about RB.  But they'll call a bunch of running plays, and you want them to be reasonably effective.  Everything works better when defense honors the ability to run the ball. 

All-11 concept applies.  Every player makes a difference, and if your back is bad, life gets easier for an opposing defense; more frustrating for o-line and coaches; and sets up more unfavorable down-and-distance situations for passing game.  

"Take what they give you."  In Alex Green era, defenses would totally package for pass, but our run still didn't get anything.  No disincentive for defenses to package for run when they didn't need to.  I'd like to add a back so run and pass can both be effective.  

All-11, I think we do take for granted how good Dillon and Jones are as pass blockers.  They are really willing, experienced, tough protection guys.  Part of the reason Love has gotten so comfortable scanning the field.  Bringing in some 3rd-day rookie, there will be some mistakes.  

It's true that 3rd-day backs like Jones often turn out quite well.  But lots don't.  Assuming that we can just let Jones and Dillon go, and replace them with a 5th-round pick, that isn't safe.  It might work, but you might really regret it. 

But yeah, my preference is for a quick back.  Think with our o-line, holes aren't always big and don't always last long.  Need somebody who can get to them quickly, and can improvise.  

I could easily imagine doing a 3rd-day pick, with Jones back on a restructure, and with Dillon back on a modest contract.  Dillon is a great blocker and a good pass receiver, so I'd have no problem keeping him if he doesn't cost too much.  You can definitely win a lot of games with Dillon playing a lot of snaps.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, craig said:

I agree that having a quick, good, decisive back is desirable. 

A back isn't going to make or break a team, and I get not investing big $$ or top picks.  If was guessing, I could see a 3rd round pick?  With Jones back on some restructure? 

I think RD3 will probably be the sweet spot in this draft for GB grabbing a RB.  There should still be an "upper tier" prospect available in RD3 that fits what GB does, and there shouldn't be a huge talent dropoff vs what was available in RD2.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

As long as that running back is quick and decisive, like Jones.  I don't care about the long speed, gimme that short speed.

Dillon just takes a hair longer hitting those holes and they plug.  Jones is there faster and that is all it takes.

Zero issue running it back with Jones and then drafting a guy or two.  I just want the quicker back instead of the larger back.

Old Guy brought up an interesting option - Braelon Allen.  He is bigger than Jones but can hit the hole quicker than Dillon and is fast.