BDL Discussion Thread 2024

10 hours ago, RedGold said:

You get to the point where if you count it for one guy,  where is the line drawn.  

I don’t believe injuries should count into the equation… as I’m guessing a majority will pass that vote.   If Stone is a RFA this year, Sterns is a ERFA and so forth.   

Yes Caden Sterns is an ERFA.

12 games, 5 games, 0 games equals 1 accrued season in BDL. That is literally the way we have always done it. Trust me when I say that when I used to update the spreadsheet I would manually have to check all the players for this but if someone wanted to bring up a specific player we would always verify this way.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Ahh but luckily he had the one season where he didn't reach the six game benchmark so I can use the RFA tag. Life is grand over here

This is correct. He has only played 3 seasons. Whether the player has signed a new contract or not IRL only matters if he is considered a UFA for BDL. 

The reason we do the 5th year plus contract Extension for 3 ups is because the 5th year is not part of the rookie deal. So in BDL that player is a UFA after 4 years and either only has a 5th year or has already signed an Extension.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Oh so now we're just making the rules up as we go along huh?

We aren't, owners in the BDL just have a case of CRS (Can't Remember S***) every year. 

• Like 3

This is just going to be confusing as ****. Spotrac updates years of service on the sheet automatically. Now we are going to be deep diving every player based on how many games they play? Maialta had 4 years because he was in a special program. Jaylon Smith was extended as he recovered an entire year from college and was deemed an rfa in real life. Those mirrored real world occurrences. This mirrors nothing. Stearnes got IRed two seasons in a row.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PR said:

This is just going to be confusing as ****. Spotrac updates years of service on the sheet automatically. Now we are going to be deep diving every player based on how many games they play? Maialta had 4 years because he was in a special program. Jaylon Smith was extended as he recovered an entire year from college and was deemed an rfa in real life. Those mirrored real world occurrences. This mirrors nothing. Stearnes got IRed two seasons in a row.

What in the world are you talking about. It's ridiculously easy to check how many games a player has played.

21 minutes ago, PR said:

Submit a proposal for it for the summer meeting 

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Submit a proposal for it for the summer meeting 

This is literally SirA making up a rule that has occurred twice mirroring IRL scenarios. This is not a written rule. Why do I need to create a rule to combat an unwritten rule that hasn't been applied beyond two players? 

5 minutes ago, PR said:

This is literally SirA making up a rule that has occurred twice mirroring IRL scenarios. This is not a written rule. Why do I need to create a rule to combat an unwritten rule that hasn't been applied beyond two players? 

Are we sure it’s the only two cases someone has used it?

6 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Are we sure it’s the only two cases someone has used it?

We vote on the Smith deal individually because I brought it up at the time because I read an article to give someone else an extra year of Smith so it mirrored. Unless there was a rule specifically crafted at the time of Mailata this rule has not been brought up since. RG for damn sure isn't looking through every players game log to hand out designations to players. He is going off the Exp. The only reason it has been brought up is Blue and you. 

Geno was an IRL RFA last off-season. 

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/15/ravens-reportedly-do-not-plan-to-tender-s-geno-stone/

You guys are trying to make him an RFA again because of games? Your own calculation or misunderstanding of the rule?

Caden Stearnes by NFL rule is not an ERFA. He would have played 6 games if not being placed on IR for two consecutive seasons after sustaining injuries in game.

Stop with the bull**** rule creating and KISS. Follow the damn Exp in the spreadsheet and you don't have to look up ANYTHING.

26 minutes ago, PR said:

Stop with the bull**** rule creating and KISS. Follow the damn Exp in the spreadsheet and you don't have to look up ANYTHING.

You don’t need to be so upset. I will rescind Sterns if the league lets me if it will make you not stress yourself about things such as this. 

Yeah either we apply or the NFL rule or we don't because it's too hard to track and then we keep it simple by taking only into account years of experience.

This middle ground thing is ridiculous. 

I don't remember any precedent of it so I won't partake in these discussions. But if a precedent was established then it should remain as such this offseason. Especially since Blue got told well in advance, and therefore planned for accordingly, that Stone was a RFA without any counter. 

But yeah next offseason that needs to change.