BDL Discussion Thread 2024

8 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I'll go back several years and list all the players this has been applied to. It's literally 2-4 people a season.

I'll spend the few hours doing that tonight.

Looks like I have the wrong tag on Koonce too. Should be an ERFA not a RFA

2 hours ago, PR said:

Stop with the bull**** rule creating and KISS. Follow the damn Exp in the spreadsheet and you don't have to look up ANYTHING.

Not only is this the rule SirA has been applying this entire time, it literally is the simplest way to track it. I don't know why you're in such arms over Geno Stone, he's not reaching free agency either way.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Yeah either we apply or the NFL rule or we don't because it's too hard to track and then we keep it simple by taking only into account years of experience.

This middle ground thing is ridiculous.

I don't understand what's confusing or a middle ground. Did they play 6 games? No? Then RFA/ERFA. Unless you want to go by whether they are an IRL RFA/ERFA (which I am perfectly on board with), there is no simpler way.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I don't understand what's confusing or a middle ground. Did they play 6 games? No? Then RFA/ERFA. Unless you want to go by whether they are an IRL RFA/ERFA (which I am perfectly on board with), there is no simpler way.

The NFL rule is, basically, 6 games on roster/IR list. At no point it is about playing 6 games. The play in 6 games is a totally made up rule by BDL.

Why? Why should Grant Delpit be a RFA when he would be a UFA IRL? And if he tears his ACL week 4 next year, why should he be a RFA again? Makes no sense to me

18 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

The NFL rule is, basically, 6 games on roster/IR list. At no point it is about playing 6 games. The play in 6 games is a totally made up rule by BDL.

Why? Why should Grant Delpit be a RFA when he would be a UFA IRL? And if he tears his ACL week 4 next year, why should he be a RFA again? Makes no sense to me

Because it helps my cap situation.  This answer is sufficient imo

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Exactly this. This is not the MLB service time rule where a player has to reach a certain amount of games to start arbitration. 

This makes 0 sense to do in BDL. If another Jaylon Smith situation happens again and it doesn't clock IRL because he was recovering from an injury FROM COLLEGE for the entirety of his first season, then we will address it. But just a blanket oh he didn't 6 games played due to getting injured or splitting time with P/S hell no.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Not only is this the rule SirA has been applying this entire time, it literally is the simplest way to track it. I don't know why you're in such arms over Geno Stone, he's not reaching free agency either way.

It's not the player, it's the precedent it is setting and there was a clear standing with said player from the NFL side.

2 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Because it's easier to keep track of games played than games on a roster. It is stupidly easy to keep track of games played vs. games on an active roster.

1 hour ago, PR said:

It's not the player, it's the precedent it is setting and there was a clear standing with said player from the NFL side.

The precedent has existed for years, why are you just now upset about it? This isn't the first offseason a player has been an RFA in BDL despite not being one IRL.