2024 BDL Winter Owners Summit

16 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Proposal #1 
100% extension (all year long): You can extend an unlocked player at 100% of his IRL salary as long as it doesn’t decrease his BDL salary and the player is on an IRL contract other than their NFL Rookie deal. Unlocked player is defined as one with a BDL contract with years remaining so you cannot 100% extend a UFA

Vote: Yes

Pretty obvious clarification of rules

Proposal #2 
Yearly increase of draft pick salaries for rounds 1-5 starting with the 2025. Proposed amount increase linked here Proposed Draft Slot Salary Increase under the Cap Proposal Tab.

Vote: No

I am for increasing the draft salaries but I personally prefer a set amount at a nice, round 5 or 0 number.

Proposal #3
PFAs become 3 year contracts same as rounds 5-7 in place of the current one year contracts. 

They're barely even PFA's at that point. It's just rounds 8 & 9 of our draft but easier because we know their landing spot. I like that PFAs have their own set of rules. And that decision on ERFA is an interesting one for a lot of players, you've got to call your shot and roll with the consequences.

Proposal #4
Bizz Bowl to be played week 16 not week 17 of the NFL season to avoid confusion 

I'd actually be fine with moving it back to Week 17 as well if preferred by others so we avoid the game happening around Christmas.

Proposal #5
Introduce the RFA+ Tag. The RFA+ Tag will cost $6500 same as the number one pick to tag but would result in the tagger receiving a 1st and 4th round pick as compensation if choosing to not match the offered contract. 

This is just another tier of RFA tender, I think it's nice for when a true star player makes it to RFA as another option and I think it's sufficiently expensive to make it worthwhile.

Proposal #6
One Time RFA Tag increases of $500 per slot starting this offseason 
1st Round- $4,000
2nd Round- $3,500
3rd Round- $3,000
4th Round- $2,500
5th Round- $2,000
6th Round- $1,750
7th Round- $1,500

While I obviously don't like that players will cost more, I understand why this is a good change

Proposal #7
QBs from the shark tank can be traded for ONLY PFA picks. A QB can be traded if

1. He’s been in the NFL for at least one season
2. He has started at least 1 NFL game during the season

Don't see why QB's should be special in this and I don't like the idea of making any Shark Tank/locked contracts available for trade. 

• Like 1

I'm just getting to this thread as it's not supposed to start til next week.  But we are supposed to vote on this stuff one at a time.  If y'all just giving opinions thats fine, just going based upon one post on this page...lol

36 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I'd also like this to be the rookie scale. It's a little more logical than all the random ooe skips and jumps in the other method

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJe5jHUgOlM95Tcxt0jNt5XLlJnSqkOFGbWLKAegzdk/edit?usp=drivesdk

How are these numbers less random than calculation based on BDL cap space increases?

In any case, this is barely an increase and doesn't fix the issue I wanted to address

43 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

How are these numbers less random than calculation based on BDL cap space increases?

In any case, this is barely an increase and doesn't fix the issue I wanted to address

I think Bcb's numbers are more in line with our current contract structure in the BDL. 3 Ups are 75% of a players IRL contract. FA starts at 50% of an IRL contract as a base. The reasons for this is because we have much more concentrated Rosters of star players than NFL teams. So we need that cap wiggle room since we also trail a year behind the NFL for salary cap increases. 

The numbers you are proposing are 100% or more of actual rookie deals in the early rounds.

CJ Stroud has an IRL real of $9,070 per season in BDL dollars. His current BDL salary of $6500 is at a 71% rate. If you want to compare Apples to Oranges Bryce Young's contract as the NFL #1 pick would be 68% using the same BDL salary. When we implemented the current Rookie Wage Scale back in 2017 it was designed to be bullet proof for a time but contracts have now caught up with us so an Increase is needed, just not such a large drastic one as you are proposing. You are basing a % of yearly cap increase which we don't know about until a year in advance to project that increase at a 100% rate for 80 players that we add to rosters each year.

Basically we just need to decide on a starting number for the number 1 pick and then everything else is based off of that rather than trying to make each salary as close as possible.

BcB's proposed staring number of $6,900 would have been 76% rate for this year's pick. If you want to make that a little more bullet proof for a few years then start it at $7K for the 2025 season and we can revisit every few years.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I think Bcb's numbers are more in line with our current contract structure in the BDL. 3 Ups are 75% of a players IRL contract. FA starts at 50% of an IRL contract as a base. The reasons for this is because we have much more concentrated Rosters of star players than NFL teams. So we need that cap wiggle room since we also trail a year behind the NFL for salary cap increases. 

The numbers you are proposing are 100% or more of actual rookie deals in the early rounds.

CJ Stroud has an IRL real of $9,070 per season in BDL dollars. His current BDL salary of $6500 is at a 71% rate. If you want to compare Apples to Oranges Bryce Young's contract as the NFL #1 pick would be 68% using the same BDL salary. When we implemented the current Rookie Wage Scale back in 2017 it was designed to be bullet proof for a time but contracts have now caught up with us so an Increase is needed, just not such a large drastic one as you are proposing. You are basing a % of yearly cap increase which we don't know about until a year in advance to project that increase at a 100% rate for 80 players that we add to rosters each year.

Basically we just need to decide on a starting number for the number 1 pick and then everything else is based off of that rather than trying to make each salary as close as possible.

BcB's proposed staring number of $6,900 would have been 76% rate for this year's pick. If you want to make that a little more bullet proof for a few years then start it at $7K for the 2025 season and we can revisit every few years.

If you need me to start at 7k or whatever the number is, just let me know and i'll play with the numbers

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I think this is all fairly reasonable and I would support starting at 7k as a nice round number.

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

For the same Reasons as the Draft Scale change should take place in 2025/2-26 these changes should also be implemented then if approved.  This has both Cap Issues and compensation issues.

Changed the RFA increase to 2025

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

For the same Reasons as the Draft Scale change should take place in 2025/2-26 these changes should also be implemented then if approved.  This has both Cap Issues and compensation issues.

I don’t think the super tag should matter with cap because it’s a choice of the tagger if they want to implement but it’s not a forced changed. Gives more flexibility but they can’t still just tag at a first value. 

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I vote NO on Proposal 3. I like the ERFA decision

Proposal 5 and proposal 6 : If we change the rookie scale, wouldn't those numbers change as well?

Proposal 7 - NO: No to any specific rule for a specific position. I understand MD4L worry about hoarding QBs but, realistically, no one does it and for a good reason: investing in many QBs in Shark Tank would result in lack on investment elsewhere. So unless we have an owner willing to sacrifice his season to screw someone else - which would be a big problem for the league and not for the QB hoarding stuff - this shouldn't be an issue

No RFA tag amounts now are just random round numbers. And these are small steps to increase not massive jumps. 

13 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I don’t think the super tag should matter with cap because it’s a choice of the tagger if they want to implement but it’s not a forced changed. Gives more flexibility but they can’t still just tag at a first value. 

The minimum per year of a base offer has to equal at least the tender so it does effect something other than the tagger. 

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

The minimum per year of a base offer has to equal at least the tender so it does effect something other than the tagger. 

Anyone already to offer a first round RFA a contract is going to bid well over the minimum anyway to try and land them. Look at all the history of bids on first round RFAs, Hurts, Kittle, Tyreek all over $6,500 anyway