Commanders hire former Warriors GM Bob Myers and Rick Spielman as execs to help GM and HC search

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

No not really. I mean he was involved im sure after he was hired. Spielman came in a year later I think. 

I was mostly joking about Spielman naming himself gm but they could do a lot worse

• Like 1

Requested/Rumored Football Operations/GM Interest:

Glenn Cook, AGM, Browns
Ian Cunningham, AGM, Bears
Adam Peters, AGM, 49ers
Mike Borgonzi, AGM, Chiefs

Requested/Rumored Head coaching interviews/requests/interest:

Ben Johnson, OC, Lions
Aaron Glenn, DC, Lions
Jim Harbaugh, HC, Univ of Michigan (don’t have a secondary on this yet)
Raheem Morris, DC, Rams

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If he’s hiring someone with sound thought processes about how to build an NFL front office and vision, that’s what I care about.  The leadership and structure is way more important to me, and I think Bob Myers knows that very well.  

Hey, when the Browns did this they hired Paul Depodesta from the Oakland A's Moneyball team and everyone laughed at it because he wasn't a 'football guy'. I remember the jokes that were flying from talking heads on TV vividly. He then had a hand in hiring Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski from their 'search committee' who stand a chance at winning executive of the year and COTY this season.

Sometimes bringing in people from other sports gives fresh eyes on a situation and it turns out great. Essentially eliminating the possibility of hiring a bunch of retreads who have been in the NFL forever and are apart of the drinking buddies boys club

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If he’s hiring someone with sound thought processes about how to build an NFL front office and vision, that’s what I care about.  The leadership and structure is way more important to me, and I think Bob Myers knows that very well.  

He doesn't know anything about building an NFL front office. The two sports could not be more different in regards to team building.

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hey, when the Browns did this they hired Paul Depodesta from the Oakland A's Moneyball team and everyone laughed at it because he wasn't a 'football guy'. I remember the jokes that were flying from talking heads on TV vividly. He then had a hand in hiring Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski from their 'search committee' who stand a chance at winning executive of the year and COTY this season.

Sometimes bringing in people from other sports gives fresh eyes on a situation and it turns out great. Essentially eliminating the possibility of hiring a bunch of retreads who have been in the NFL forever and are apart of the drinking buddies boys club

Besides Paul, football front officers have been heavily borrowing from baseball analytics over the past 2 decades anyway.

There's a reason front offices are more amenable to tanking, and aren't making all of the same mistakes the Astros/Cubs did when they started advertising about it 15 years ago. They've learned from a few of baseball mistakes.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

I don’t know if everything pays off, but Washington fans have to love the aggressiveness this ownership group seems to have for making the team better. I’d be excited, if I were them.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Besides Paul, football front officers have been heavily borrowing from baseball analytics over the past 2 decades anyway.

There's a reason front offices are more amenable to tanking, and aren't making all of the same mistakes the Astros/Cubs did when they started advertising about it 15 years ago. They've learned from a few of baseball mistakes.

To much of the chagrin of 'football guys'. That was the only talking point on local radio for months was 'we got the nerds and no football guys. So what are we just going to have computers and analytics running the team now?'

It was awful to listen to. Meanwhile Depodesta has quietly been Chief Strategy Officer for over 5 years now and everybody conveniently forgets he is there still now that we are winning lol

I hope the best for Washington

Edited by AkronsWitness