2023 Wild Card Round: NFC 7) Green Bay Packers @ 2) Dallas Cowboys

Who wins?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Green Bay Packers
    • Dallas Cowboys

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/14/2024 at 09:30 PM

Perhaps the most intriguing clash of the round, at least in the NFC. As a Love doubter early on, I have to admit he's had a very good season with a young surrounding cast - do the good vibes continue in Arlington or do the Cowboys take care of business? Going one-and-done would be unacceptable for Dallas while the Packers are essentially playing with house money. How does this one shake out?

McCarthy vs his Green Bay successor, Matt LaFleur. 

6372699cd0942.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

You think this matchup is more intriguing than Stafford/McVay vs Goff/Holmes? 

This rightfully gets the prime time billing. Next weekend has a far weaker slate, if you can believe it. We've never have a WC weekend with this many markets/brands... LA, Dallas, Miami, Cowboys, Packers, Steelers. And to think, next year, we will have TWO semifinal CFB games leading into Super WC weekend for football fans that need an extra long weekend (that's a bit overkill even for me though).

• Like 1

What Packers defense shows up? I have faith that this offense can move the ball on anyone but I have no faith in the defense at all. There an enigma most bad defenses have no star talent at all but the Packers outside of safety really have talent on all 3 levels in Clark, Gary, & Alexander. Just a matter on if they show up or not. 

• Like 1

Here's a brief writeup I did for the Cowboys' Forum GDT 

Passers:
Dak Prescott is coming off an MVP caliber season where he led the NFL in Passing Touchdowns, was 2nd in TD:INT ratio, 3rd in Yards, 2nd in PSR, 1st in Comp% and 2nd in QBR, in what is without a doubt his most impressive season to date.  He has found his rhythm and him and Lamb are on a different page all together.  At this point, our offense, and our team as a whole, live or die on Dak's shoulders.

Jordan Love is coming off one of the most impressive endings to a season to date, finishing with 20 TDs, 1 INT and 3 FL in his last 8 games.  Love has improved dramatically at reading defenses and reminds some of Aaron Rodgers in his rookie season, struggling with accuracy but also throwing some absolute dimes.  He will be hard to stop and should keep the Packers in it till the end and while our Defense, once top in the NFL, has struggled as of late, blowing several late leads that Dak had secured for them, they are built to handle this type of game with their speed and ability to cover.

Runners:
Coming into 2024, Tony Pollard was fresh off a major leg injury and a new contract, and was taking over as the featured back.  He didn't exactly live up to expectations under the new workload, and was barely able to churn out 1,000yds rushing on 250+ carries despite having few touches lost to other backs (Dowdle missed time with injuries as well).  He was able to garner another 300yds on 60+ targets in the passing game, often times serving as a chip blocker before bleeding out as a safety net for Dak, but as we head into the playoffs, we need him to step up.

On the other side, we have Aaron Jones who shared carries with AJ Dillon nearly 50/50, in large part due to injuries, but both proved to be reliable work horses for Green Bay, with Jones averaging over 4.6ypc on 140 touches and both bringing 200+yards of receiving each on 60 total targets.  With Dallas hemorrhaging yardage inside to teams of late, Green Bay should work Jones early and often between the tackles and see if they can build on the blueprint laid out by Buffalo.

Receivers:
Congratulations to the new Catch King for the Dallas Cowboys, another great #88 in a line of great 88's.  CeeDee brought in 135 of 181 targets (75%) for 1750yds and 12 TD's surpassing Irvin's 1995 season of 111 catches for 1600yds (in 1 less game) and 10 TD's.  This right after finishing 4th in Cowboys history in 2022 with 107 catches on 156 targets (68%) for 1359yds and 9 TD's.  He has put himself in the conversation of elite WR's in the NFL and the Cowboys are lucky to have him.  Since the 49er's game he has been critical in turning this ship around and has done it without the DIVA attitude of many who came before him.  After Lamb though, things get sparse, with Ferguson a very underwhelming #2 Receiver, Cooks somewhat underutilized, and Gallup all but disappearing late in the season.  Ferguson gets the job done but is far from a great TE but is serviceable and will make the contested catches and take the hits over the middle that you need from him to get the first down.

Meanwhile, the Wisconsin Cheeseheads are bringing a group of WR's I know very little about, headlined by Jayden Reed (64 for 793) and Doubs (59 for 674), each with 8 TD's.  From what I've seen and what I've heard, they are a very young but talented and impressive group of WR's, but none have stepped up and taken the mantle of great, though every great starts somewhere.  If they're going to have success against Dallas, I believe it'll come as a big homerun against Bland on a hard double move that freezes him looking for that interception.  Gilmore has been nothing but solid all year and his shoulder injury aside, should remain so.  We've also had struggles on crossing routes while playing man coverage, so if they can work some speed across from the slots, or run their TE's up the seem, they could find some holes to take advantage of.

Defense:
Cowboys come into this game finishing with the 4th lowest completion % against, 5th fewest passing yds against, and were middle of the road in TDs allowed and INT's.  They were also middle of the pack in rushing yards allowed, Yards per Carry allowed, and rushing TDs allowed.  They weren't the elite unit of years past, but were still very strong and feature one of the top defensive players in the NFL in Micah Parsons.  

The Packers, likewise, also feature a decent Defense that finished middle of the pack in Comp% but gave up some big plays and finished bottom 10 in Yards allowed and Yards per Attempt but middle of the pack in TDs allowed.  They're not great ballhawks and tend to keep things in front of them and bend/don't break.  They, like the Boys, also struggled to stop the run, finishing with the 5th worst run defense in yards allowed, though that was somewhat a product of how often they were run against as their YPC allowed and Run TDs allowed was more reasonable.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Most of us Eagles fans know we're about to get boat-raced by Baker and the Bucs. A successful weekend would be Dallas getting upset. GO PACK GO!

lmao - boat-raced? Man I'm getting old, haha