Vrabel Gone

-Hope-

How many teams that go through dumpster 'rebuild' years actually go on to win the Super Bowl? Chiefs were competitive before landing Mahomes, Eagles never really bottomed out, Tampa added Brady. Rams went all-in with the Stafford trade. Sure, some teams have rebuilt and become good now, like the Lions and Browns, but results are still pending. To me, you should be able to reload and compete every single season. If you aren't hitting those draft picks, it's not rebuilding, it's get someone in place to nail those picks. Generate enough good selections and it doesn't matter whether you had back to back top 5 picks or bottom 10 picks in the first round, you'll get players and win.

Folks acting like teams 'need' to suck for 2-3 years when bottoming out to that extent doesn't actually ensure success. Just means your culture starts to accept mediocrity.

This feels like when we traded AJB and everyone outside of Tennessee called out how stupid we were and those in Tennessee we’re trying to cope by saying it wasn’t a bad decision because of the money he wanted.

This isn’t as severe because you can’t ignore our record over the last two seasons, but there is a major issue in just looking at W/Ls. 

I called out firing Robinson last year when we still had a winning record because the product didn’t match the stats. This is similar in which you have to weigh the context of the situation, not just the results.

Yeah, we had 6 wins. We also have a 2-3 win roster full of bad players. We over-achieved in my mind.

Whether or not Vrabel deserves credit for our record could likely come down to how much to blame you think he has for our current roster. If he was a large part in the deteriorating talent on the roster, letting him go likely makes a lot of sense. If you think that’s solely the GM, letting him go is idiotic.

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

This feels like when we traded AJB and everyone outside of Tennessee called out how stupid we were and those in Tennessee we’re trying to cope by saying it wasn’t a bad decision because of the money he wanted.

This isn’t as severe because you can’t ignore our record over the last two seasons, but there is a major issue in just looking at W/Ls. 

I called out firing Robinson last year when we still had a winning record because the product didn’t match the stats. This is similar in which you have to weigh the context of the situation, not just the results.

Yeah, we had 6 wins. We also have a 2-3 win roster full of bad players. We over-achieved in my mind.

Whether or not Vrabel deserves credit for our record could likely come down to how much to blame you think he has for our current roster. If he was a large part in the deteriorating talent on the roster, letting him go likely makes a lot of sense. If you think that’s solely the GM, letting him go is idiotic.

not a very good comparison, imo. put it this way: there was not a single titans fan that wanted AJ brown gone before the trade. same can't be said for vrabel. and to your last point, it's more or less confirmed at this point that he was in fact let go for the off-the-field, roster management stuff, more than what happened on it. not really possible to interpret all the talk of vision, collaboration, etc any other way (and that's just if you're going by the official statements, to say nothing of the reports around that behind the scenes stuff).

34 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

How many teams that go through dumpster 'rebuild' years actually go on to win the Super Bowl? Chiefs were competitive before landing Mahomes, Eagles never really bottomed out, Tampa added Brady. Rams went all-in with the Stafford trade. Sure, some teams have rebuilt and become good now, like the Lions and Browns, but results are still pending. To me, you should be able to reload and compete every single season. If you aren't hitting those draft picks, it's not rebuilding, it's get someone in place to nail those picks. Generate enough good selections and it doesn't matter whether you had back to back top 5 picks or bottom 10 picks in the first round, you'll get players and win.

Folks acting like teams 'need' to suck for 2-3 years when bottoming out to that extent doesn't actually ensure success. Just means your culture starts to accept mediocrity.

Eagles were 4-12 in 2020 btw. But I get what you saying. 

Draft well. You should be able to maintain a good level of success. The coach and culture has to be able to sustain. 

To me the move doesn't upset me. Its everything around it. Two years ago you gave him and JROb an extension. Less than 8 months later JRob is fired mid season after the Eagles embarrassed them. You say you want collaboration, yet you hire a new GM (a move who insiders believe was heavily influenced by the league) with no connection to the HC, leave it ambiguous as to who actually calls the shots. Then are somehow surprised that the coach wants to compete now and the GM wants to rebuild from the ground.  Vrabel had been her coach for 5 years, she should have known that he wasn't looking to fully rebuild and if she wanted a full rebuild, she should have made that clear or fired him last year when she hired Ran. IF she truly believed in Vrabel she should have found him someone he wanted to work with. This is how bad owners cause lasting dysfunction in franchises. 

Everything she's done since giving JRob and Vrabel extensions after the #1 seed year has been short sighted and reactionary. I hate the firing because I have 0 trust in Ran or Amy to make the next move right. 

Edited by Chocolateman78
  • Like 1

Nothing about this is surprising or even worth talking about, but the general narrative from non-titans fans about how terrible and franchise-ruining of a decision that this is just shows how disconnected people are from this team. (I get it, small market losing team.)

Look at this trash from Connor Orr

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/09/titans-not-a-good-organization-after-firing-mike-vrabel

This line stood out: "The Titans had an offense built around Ryan Tannehill and a running back the size of Kevin Nash and nearly toppled the Bengals in the playoffs the year Cincinnati went to the Super Bowl."

I mean...we were the 1 seed and the much superior team. "Nearly toppled"??? Lol

Look...I think super highly of Vrabel. Very good-to-elite HC IMO. Preparation and the game-within-the-game were his MO and I love that.

But even as probably one of his stronger defenders on here, I easily recognize the issues w/ handing guys like NWI starting roles. Like making Philips inactive because he cant play ST. Like giving so many roster spots JUST for ST guys when that unit consistently sucked. Like prioritizing blocking as his #1 feature in a WR. I briefly subscribed to PK and PK hosted a fan Q+A with Vrabel. Corey Davis was on his way out and I submitted the Q w/ something like "w/ Corey Davis leaving, what kind of features do we prioritize in a WR opposite of AJ". Vrabel legit responded with blocking first and foremost.

This is a philisophy and personnel approach that'll likely follow Vrabel everywhere he goes and will be his achilles heel. I definitely think he's a SB winning coach, but point remains. Everyone has their warts.

12 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Eagles were 4-12 in 2020 btw. But I get what you saying. 

Draft well. You should be able to maintain a good level of success. The coach and culture has to be able to sustain. 

Moreso referring to their SB year when they won. 13-3, preceeded by 7-9, 7-9, and pair of 10-6 plus a coaching change.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I wonder what vision AAS for the team has compared to Vrabel. Maybe actually being an explosive offensive team.

The bizarre thing about all of this is, from strictly and on-field perspective, San Fran is exactly the team we want to be. Like SF is who we were on track to more or less being if JRob didn't frick everything up.

I'd be very curious as to what this vision is. I am not as angry that we didn't get an answer on that from AAS/Ran yesterday as the nashville media is all up in arms about. But what could it be? A faster, more athletic team?? That'd be CRAZY!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

The bizarre thing about all of this is, from strictly and on-field perspective, San Fran is exactly the team we want to be. Like SF is who we were on track to more or less being if JRob didn't frick everything up.

I'd be very curious as to what this vision is. I am not as angry that we didn't get an answer on that from AAS/Ran yesterday as the nashville media is all up in arms about. But what could it be? A faster, more athletic team?? That'd be CRAZY!!

Never satisfied. 
Even if they said, we want to pass the ball more and be more up tempo..yada yada yada. I would take it at face value.

Didn't Vrabel say we were wasn't going to run Derrick into 8-9 boxes when he was hired? Robinson said we want Tough, Smart....yada yada.  Good to great.... all that. 

Nashville media got their feelings all hurt because he didn't lay out the plan or vision. 
Be about action...

1 hour ago, 615finest said:

So Mike left on his own.. Amy gave him options and he declined. I wonder what the options were

I bet she wanted a more collaborative effort on decisions and changes with staffing/assistants. Issues that pertained to the offensive side of the ball and programs and assistants that led to injuries.