The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo as their next head coach

Steelersfan43

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Is this really going to be all that different?

Doesn't need to be. This mostly assures the heart and soul (and ascending) of the team, the defense, stays intact and keeps it's continuity.

On the other side of the ball, anyone not BELICHICK, who has completely become allergic and refused to believe offense exists, represents a fresh perspective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Wtf is the point of firing him just to replace him with one of his assistants? And first hand you’ve seen every single one of his assistants fail. And now you want one? Don’t even want to see what else is out there? Okay 

I don't get it either.

"I can't believe the Patriots moved on from Brady without a plan in place"

"I can't believe the Krafts already had a succession plan lined up for when Belichick leaves".

I'm (cautiously) optimistic about this move, and have fait in the Krafts. Mayo has been highly regarded for some time, and has been getting head coaching interviews elsewhere. People that are acting like Kraft just called some former LB off the streets to coach haven't been paying attention, especially the announcements last summer that were made. The players love him too.

It's more important to see 1) the full staff, and 2) if they actually overhaul the front office. I may be in the minority, but I think he's going to do well.

• Like 3

Just now, lavar703 said:

Everyone is going to beat this hire up and call it terrible and he’ll end up paired with a good GM and the Pats will be right back to winning. Mayo is a smart dude. The Pats are in good hands. 

Too many unknowns for everyone right now. Who's running the offense, who that GM will be, where is the next QB coming from, etc

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Everyone is going to beat this hire up and call it terrible and he’ll end up paired with a good GM and the Pats will be right back to winning. Mayo is a smart dude. The Pats are in good hands. 

Better have a good OC lined up.

Bill has no track record of developing assistants by the looks of it. I mean, look at that school and tell me where the success is? This is a huge black mark on what was otherwise a GOAT career. You don't see the lineage there like you did with Walsh, Holmgren, Reid, etc.

I remember there being a lot of hype with Mayo as a top coaching candidate, so I think this will work out for New England assuming they can get a good OC and QB moving forward.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Wtf is the point of firing him just to replace him with one of his assistants? And first hand you’ve seen every single one of his assistants fail. And now you want one? Don’t even want to see what else is out there? Okay 

Mayo is nothing like the parallels of failed assistants from the Belichick tree.

1. He's an actual former player at this level

2. He's already shown the ability to connect and lead people

Two very big factors all the morons McDaniels, Patricia, Judge, O'Brien will never have, and the main reasons for their failures.

If Mayo fails, it won't be because of those same things, and that's something the Krafts are willing to live with. He deserves his shot as much as anybody no matter how recycled this looks from the general perspective.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Aren't they still rolling with O'Brien? Or did that change too?

Who knows. There might be a feeling there wasn't enough autonomy in the building for the coaching to thrive. I wouldn't be surprised to see very little movement at the coordinator spots. Be great to get a proper GM in, maybe someone like Dimitroff...

Everyone knows the NFL is all about connections, and who a HC can bring in.... are Mayo's that different from Bill's?

EDIT:

Not sure about the "Bill way" without Bill.

Edited by kramxel