The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo as their next head coach

Steelersfan43

31 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This. They fired Bill because of his failure as a GM and what he allowed to happen on the offensive side of the ball. They couldn't keep Bill and have an autonomous GM and we saw how badly Bill treated obvious offensive problems for years. This allows them to keep what was good and attempt to replace what was bad while not having a big internal struggle. Mayo isn't going to be the GM and is doubtful to get full reigns over the offense. Which allows them to bring in talent who can go all in on what they are hired to do without Bill Belichick undercutting them.

I see that reasoning, but at the same time cleaning house and starting over has an appeal. This feels like trying to preserve the old days instead of just coming to terms with the fact the era is over and they need to start something new.

• Like 1

As a Pats fan, I'm good with this hire. The quickness of it doesn't bother me, if you know he's the guy you want, you go for it, simple as that. Will it work out? Who knows, but he's got as good of a chance as almost any other guy who would have been considered considering the roster right now. You get a franchise QB in this draft and any coach is going to look better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Bill has no track record of developing assistants by the looks of it. I mean, look at that school and tell me where the success is? This is a huge black mark on what was otherwise a GOAT career. You don't see the lineage there like you did with Walsh, Holmgren, Reid, etc.

I wouldn't consider it a black mark.  With the success he had, he did just fine with his assistants.  It's not his job to prepare guys to go and become successful head coaches for rival teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

It's Mayo, there's no way it's spicy.

GUEST_795b064a-2e0d-48a9-a136-4bbd6cb9dd

This right here? Made the change a while back, this right here is a game changer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Bill has no track record of developing assistants by the looks of it. I mean, look at that school and tell me where the success is? This is a huge black mark on what was otherwise a GOAT career. You don't see the lineage there like you did with Walsh, Holmgren, Reid, etc.

BB was always a Sith.  You don't groom a bunch of them, because sooner or later they come back to replace you after they remove you from the realm of the living.

Edited by INbengalfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

I see that reasoning, but at the same time cleaning house and starting over has an appeal. This feels like trying to preserve the old days instead of just coming to terms with the fact the era is over and they need to start something new.

It definitely has appeal. But I get why they did it.

I remember the year after the Broncos won the Super Bowl with that stacked defense how the same defense the next year would get totally dejected by QB play and after one turnover too many a game they would just flatline and give up towards the end because of the futility. The Patriots defense, even when the season was over and they had no shot of winning games fought their ***** off from bell to bell. Those players really play hard for Mayo and apparently love him. I get keeping him and rewarding the one good thing.

26 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Do not like the process involved here at all. Go get info on more candidates and make an informed decision....

Guess we will see what happens but this feels like a mistake to me.

I mean, there is something to be said about continuity. Especially when factoring in culture (which is the golden rule in NE - The Patriot Way has a cult-like following, right or wrong).

If your intention is to keep that, you're doing yourself a favor by picking fruit from that tree.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I mean, there is something to be said about continuity. Especially when factoring in culture (which is the golden rule in NE - The Patriot Way has a cult-like following, right or wrong).

If your intention is to keep that, you're doing yourself a favor by picking fruit from that tree.

They literally promised him the role when BB retired 

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

They literally promised him the role when BB retired 

And said promise was made because culture and continuity prevails over new blood in the eyes of Robert Kraft.

I'm not knocking it, it's how successful businesses are ran - everyone retires or dies, you have to have a succession plan. From Bill Belicheck to Logan Roy, nobody is immune and not having a defined one leads to chaos.

boar-succession.gif

• Like 2

He doesn't have a lot of experience, but if they went so far as to put the job into his last contract, they must have felt good enough about him to do the deal.  When you think about it, they know more about him than they would any other coach who comes in and interviews from the outside.  I wish him luck.  It's nice to see another young guy get a chance to move up.