Divisional Round: (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ (3) Detroit Lions Sunday 3pm

Louis Friend

Who ya got?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Detroit Lions
    • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Just now, nagahide13 said:

You saw the punt and INT right? Detroit got the ball back inside of 2 minutes. I want to say with 1 min 45 seconds left. They coulda killed the game-clock + about 40 seconds.

Well, right, but the Bucs had 1 timeout remaining. When Goff took the last knee, there was roughly 25 seconds left and it was 4th down.

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

They are using an extremely small sample group (3) and one of the attempts was unintentional. 

I get that the math says one thing, but I still don’t think it was the right call.

8 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I know you and I had some issues years back but just wanted to say I appreciate you. 

I don’t think we ever did. But hey water under the bridge. Happy for you guys man. Unreal how this young team keeps growing and getting better and better. Love to see it. Best of luck. Beat those big babies up north. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, right, but the Bucs had 1 timeout remaining. When Goff took the last knee, there was roughly 25 seconds left and it was 4th down.

I'll have to re-watch but I suspect something was misinterpreted. The interception happened with 1:33 left in the game and TB had 1 TO which would give them tons of time to kill the clock and TB no chance at the ball.

7 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

I just don’t understand the point of going for it there and not waiting until converting the 2 pt conversion would actually give you the lead 

Because it's the wrong decision obviously lol. You go for 2 for the win 

3 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'll have to re-watch but I suspect something was misinterpreted. The interception happened with 1:33 left in the game and TB had 1 TO which would give them tons of time to kill the clock and TB no chance at the ball.

It must have been. Otherwise, I'm not getting it at all.

Here's the end of the game:

1st & 10 at TB 28: (1:33 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 29 for -1 yards.

2nd & 11 at TB 29: (1:06 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 30 for -1 yards.

3rd & 12 at TB 30: (0:34 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 31 for -1 yards.

So, Goff only killed 27 seconds between the first and second knee and 32 seconds between the second and third knee. If TB had a timeout, they could have stopped the clock, forced a DET decision on 4th down and gotten the ball back.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

Just now, Pats#1 said:

They are using an extremely small sample group (3) and one of the attempts was unintentional. 

I get that the math says one thing, but I still don’t think it was the right call.

The examples are not the reason to do it, the math is. The examples are there because it's an ESPN article. You have to understand, when people are saying this is the right thing to do, they're not voicing an opinion, they're pointing out statistical fact. This kind of decision making is like blackjack, at this point. The math has solved for it. People can go against the objectively better decision by probability, but you have to know you're just arguing in favor of actively choosing the lower chance of winning.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

I don’t think we ever did. But hey water under the bridge. Happy for you guys man. Unreal how this young team keeps growing and getting better and better. Love to see it. Best of luck. Beat those big babies up north. 

We had a couple of quips but it would have been like a decade ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It must have been. Otherwise, I'm not getting it at all.

Here's the end of the game:

1st & 10 at TB 28: (1:33 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 29 for -1 yards.

2nd & 11 at TB 29: (1:06 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 30 for -1 yards.

3rd & 12 at TB 30: (0:34 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 31 for -1 yards.

So, Goff only killed 27 seconds between the first and second knee and 32 seconds between the second and third knee. If TB had a timeout, they could have stopped the clock, forced a DET decision on 4th down and gotten the ball back.

I noticed this too. I was assuming I missed something and the graphic was wrong 

• Like 1